The Amsterdam Tournament (1 Viewer)

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
yeeehhhh MU lost :extatic:
parma lost aswell :down: but i have to say i wasnt very impressed with a certain Riquelme, he was great in the first half, but second half, not so
i think van der Vaart would be a brilliant replacement for DP...and Chivu, very impressed.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
i saw the ajax-manu game, and ajax were good, van der vaart has a lot of talent.

a little disappointed with zlatan tough....

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Why have Italian teams suddenly resorted to long ball football as Parma kept doing it and i totally agree anybody who gets Ajax in Cl will be very nervous.

Riqelme did okay nothing spectacular but did some good things well, and it was nice to see Barca and Ajax getting into the groove almost immediately

Zlatan is talented but maybe not tough enuff to go to a big team as he is very lackadaisical atimes

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Good to see that Ajax is on the way back to the top! :cool:

Barcelona won but I didn't find them very impressive. A lot of passes were lost.... :irritate:

Manchester United is a shadow of the team from a couple of seasons ago but perhaps they'll get better once the season heats up a bit. :rolleyes: :D

Parma...well...I still don't understand how they managed to win La Coppa Italia.... :down:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Last Friday's matches:

Barcelona 4 - 2 AC Parma
Manchester United 1 - 2 AFC Ajax

Table at the moment:

Barcelona 7 pts
AFC Ajax 5 pts
AC Parma 2 pts
Manchester United 1 pt

Still to come Sunday 04/08/02:

Barcelona - AFC Ajax
Manchester United - AC Parma

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Barcelona leads four team tournament

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- Argentinian striker Roman Riquelme slammed home two goals to boost FC Barcelona to a 4-2 victory over Parma, while the home team Ajax beat Manchester United 2-1 in the first round Friday of the Amsterdam Tournament.

With a bonus point for every goal scored, Barcelona took the lead with 7 points, two ahead of the Dutch squad, going into the final round on Sunday of the four-team competition.

The tournament saw the debut international performance by Rio Ferdinand since his $47 million acquisition by Manchester United last month.

With his team trailing by a goal, Ferdinand was replaced in the 58th minute, as all four sides made frequent second-half substitutions for the preseason tune-up event.

A festival of first-half goals opened the tournament with all six of the Barcelona-Parma scores coming in the first 45 minutes of the first match.

Brazilian Geovanni opened the scoring with a sliding shot on a cross from the far post by Gabri Garcia.

Parma's Marco di Vaio equalized, setting off a 15-minute scoring spree. Within three minutes, Riquelme fired in his first goal from 25 meters. Marco Marchionni headed the ball into the net to level the score again.

Riquelme's shot over the outstretched hands of Parma keeper Sebastien Frey put the Spanish side ahead, and Fabio Rochemback's free kick sealed the match, curling into the net from 35 meters.

In the second match, Victor Sikoria put Ajax on the scoreboard in the 38th minute, picking up a free kick deflected off the Manchester wall.

In the second half, Zlatan eased a shot passed Manchester keeper Fabien Barthez, still limping from a collision a few minutes before. Paul Scholes gave the English team a consolation goal three minutes later.

[size=0,5]Sikora celebrates his goal against English giants Manchester United.[/size]

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Well, it's only a small tournament! We don't do that in the Dutch competition, relax! :D I think the rule was made to increase the no. of goals in the games and thus the level of enjoyment...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Well duh... :D;)

But it's still a strange system ;)

Too bad we're not in this one! :( I'd like to play in this one or the Trofeo Bernarbeu! :stuckup:

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
Zlatan's goal was awesome!;) and Scholes's also, but I'm very impressed with Ajax game! :thumb:
I think it's time for Ajax to comeback!;)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Man united 3 Parma 0

Parma were really embarassing to be quite honest. Their policy of going youth maybe admirable, but might not be wise, and if they do not dice with relegation this season, they will be very fortunate

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Man U - Parma 3 - 0
Giggs
Veron
Solskjær

Ajax - Barcelona 4 - 3
Mido
Van der Vaart 2
Witsche

Kluivert
Saviola 2

Final table
1. AFC AJAX 12P 6 - 4
2. FC BARCELONA 10P 7 - 6
3. MANCHESTER U. 7P 4 - 2
4. PARMA AC 2P 2 - 7

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
08/04/2002. Parma finish bottom of the Amsterdam Tournament after being largely outplayed as Manchester United beat them 3-0 in the ArenA today, leaving the Red Devils level on points with Barcelona, who face Ajax later this evening.

United were deservedly ahead at half time after having by far the better of the opening 45 minutes.

The goal arrived midway through the first half and was provided by the unlikely sight of Wes Brown on the right flank. His fine far post cross was tapped in by Ryan Giggs, giving the keeper no chance.

It was no more than the Premiership side had warranted as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had earlier fired a shot across goal, whilst Nicky Butt drilled an effort inches wide. After Giggs' goal, the impressive looking Diego Forlan came close when he shot wide at the near post with Giggs turning provider this time.

Parma rarely looked like breaking down United's strong backline although Roy Carroll was forced into a couple of saves, notably from Donati whose near post shot looked to be creeping in before the Irishman tipped it wide.

Early in the second half, United went for the jugular and it paid off with two more goals in the space of ten minutes, although in truth it could have been five.

A glorious chip from Juan Sebastian Veron and a near post Solskjaer header after Frey had gifted the ball to Beckham on the right, gave United their comfortable cushion, however among the goals came other chances.

Within 15 seconds of the restart, Giggs was denied his second goal when Frey made a fine near post save, whilst Forlan did his reputation in front of goal no good when he blazed over whilst clear through. Solskjaer was also foiled by the keeper a minute before his goal when his deflected shot was saved.

Parma made a number of changes in the opening twenty minutes of the half, and it certainly unsettled what little rhythm they had, although Nakata was unlucky to see his shot sail off target.

The latter stages of the game were largely a matter of playing out time as the improvement of match fitness and tactical fine tuning became the order of the day, although late sub Rob Keane almost added a fourth when his shot was brilliantly tipped wide, only for the ref to remarkably award a goal kick.

Overall, the two games have doubtless be a valuable exercise for both clubs. Only time will tell if the faults uncovered will have been patched up and resolved when the new campaigns kick off.

Summary:

Manchester United (1) 3 (Giggs 23, Veron 50, Solskjaer 55)
Parma (0) 0

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
08/04/2002. Ajax retained the title they won last year thanks to a superb 4-3 win against Barcelona.

The Catalans were much the better side throughout the first-half and it was the outstanding Patrick Kluivert who put them ahead in the ninth minute after superb linkup play with Javier Saviola. The Dutchman collected a neat through-ball from the Argentine, rounded the goalkeeper and slotted home.

Rafael van der Vaart came close to levelling five minutes later when heading a Richard Witschge cross inches wide.

On the half-hour mark Ajax keeper Maartin Stekelenburg saved a Gaizka Mendieta free-kick and Kluivert fired the rebound wide to the delight of the home fans.

Saviola should have put Barca 2-0 up on 34 minutes when shooting over after a perfect cross from Mendieta, but just five minutes later the Argentine got on the score sheet when Kluivert headed down a superb long ball from Frank de Boer and the former River Plate striker drilled low and hard past Stekelenburg.

Ajax looked dead and buried at half-time but just a minute after the break Egyptian striker Mido reduced the arrears from close range after being set up by Van Der Vaart.

However, Saviola restored the Catalans' lead almost immediately when his mis-hit effort bounced into the ground and over Stekelenburg.

After Andy Van der Meyde had shot inches wide in the 57th minute, Ajax found the net again when Van der Vaart smartly turned Carlos Puyol and curled a fine left-footed effort past Roberto Bonano and into the net.

The youngster then drew his side level a minute later when firing home after a goal mouth scramble.

Ajax came close through Mido and Christian Chivu before Van der Vaart drew a good save from Bonano with a right-wing free kick.

The winner did, however, arrive on 89 minutes when Richard Witschge curled a delicious free-kick up and over the wall past the outstretched hands of Bonano to ensure that Ajax won the match and the tournament.

Barcelona finish second, Manchester United end up third after their comfortable win over Parma, while the Italians finish bottom.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Did you guys see Van der Vaart's moves?? AWESOME!!!! :extatic: I'll let you know if I find a clip of that!

Watch out Europe, Holland just might be back!! Finally! After seven years!!

If Holland can do this then certainly Italy must be able to pull the same stunt!!

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
How good is Kallou of PSv i think or is it Feyernord, i heard he is very good but haven't seen to much of him, but Ajax are exactly the opposite of what Juve seem to be as in they unearth great talents from everywhere in the world.

They play with great pace and passion, not to mention great skill, football like that is priceless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)