The AFC Asian 2007 Cup (1 Viewer)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I guess it'll be between one of those four:
Japan, Saudi Arabi, Aussies and S.Korea

EDIT
@ Eddy... Syria didn't qualify to the finals...
Korea can't buy a win to beat Saudi. If my memory serves correct, they werent doubled both home and away in the WC qualifying group and comprehensively. I smell a big possible shock group stage knock-out to our dear rival, if there is to be any such shock. However finish second in that group will kick themselves as they probably have to beat Iran, us and Austrailia along the way if they are to win it all. The group matches their will be intense. I remember Bahrain being technically decent int last tournament giving us good run 4 money.

Iran group looks though. I hear China got some young players coming through the ranks so should not be underestimated. Uzbek's are really anybody's guess. They can def. cause an upset or two. And Iran has a bit of habit of blowing hot and cold.

Given Australia would probably win their group, I guess we need to win our group if we are to win the tournament. However, if god gurantee us the victory, then I wouldnt mind meeting socceroos for just sake of it. Revenge for WC would be so sweet. And best of all, if Korea finish their group top, there is a mouthwatering prospect of Oshim Japan vs Korea. That got to be the final AFC is dreaming up. What a match for the final! Lastly, Mizuno Koki will be the star of tournament. The boy is pure class.:pint:

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Rami

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
  • Thread Starter #42
    Korea can't buy a win to beat Saudi. If my memory serves correct, they werent doubled both home and away in the WC qualifying group and comprehensively. I smell a big possible shock group stage knock-out to our dear rival, if there is to be any such shock. However finish second in that group will kick themselves as they probably have to beat Iran, us and Austrailia along the way if they are to win it all. The group matches their will be intense. I remember Bahrain being technically decent int last tournament giving us good run 4 money.

Iran group looks though. I hear China got some young players coming through the ranks so should not be underestimated. Uzbek's are really anybody's guess. They can def. cause an upset or two. And Iran has a bit of habit of blowing hot and cold.

Given Australia would probably win their group, I guess we need to win our group if we are to win the tournament. However, if god gurantee us the victory, then I wouldnt mind meeting socceroos for just sake of it. Revenge for WC would be so sweet. And best of all, if Korea finish their group top, there is a mouthwatering prospect of Oshim Japan vs Korea. That got to be the final AFC is dreaming up. What a match for the final! Lastly, Mizuno Koki will be the star of tournament. The boy is pure class.:pint:
    Yup your memory serves you right ;) We even clinched an Away win, when we didn't even have to, we already qualified :p

From our side, a mouthwatering final would be Saudi-Iran :D

With my boys kicking Hoori's boys asses. Speaking of which, where is that girl?

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003

you got that right on both counts.
    The Bahraini team should've beaten your boys in that game but what can we do, stupid mistakes will just kill a team.
    4 years ago we had a good group, a team that works hard. I didn't see that for a while now.I hope Macalla restored some that unity.

and look out for the Saudi- Bahrain game for intense, nerve ridden game. :D

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    you got that right on both counts.
    The Bahraini team should've beaten your boys in that game but what can we do, stupid mistakes will just kill a team.
    4 years ago we had a good group, a team that works hard. I didn't see that for a while now.I hope Macalla restored some that unity.

and look out for the Saudi- Bahrain game for intense, nerve ridden game. :D
    I can't remember the names but there were 2-3 really technically gifted players who got that flair to cause troubles. I am not sure they are still playing, but given that Korean defence isn't as strong as they used to be, with their talisman Hong Myung-Bo retired, I think it is too early to write Bahrain off.

Having said that, if I recall correctly, Bahrain's two CB was naturalised Brazilians in the last tournament. If what they shown was anything to go by, I think Bahrain will concede their fair share of goals. Either way, group matches in Group D will be interesting, with added incentive that whoever finish second is literally f*cked.:D I expects goal galore.

Whats with the Saudi-Bahrain? Any reason for the rivarly?

razza

Jun 5, 2007
    No S'pore NT?? :rofl2:

I hope The Socceroos will go to the final in Jakarta and we'll meet Japan! :stuckup:
    :agree:

Socceroos will get to the final no doubt and we will beat Japan no problem.
    The only trouble we may have is the conditions and if we loose the game by our own wrong doing.

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    I can't remember the names but there were 2-3 really technically gifted players who got that flair to cause troubles. I am not sure they are still playing, but given that Korean defence isn't as strong as they used to be, with their talisman Hong Myung-Bo retired, I think it is too early to write Bahrain off.

Having said that, if I recall correctly, Bahrain's two CB was naturalised Brazilians in the last tournament. If what they shown was anything to go by, I think Bahrain will concede their fair share of goals. Either way, group matches in Group D will be interesting, with added incentive that whoever finish second is literally f*cked.:D I expects goal galore.

Whats with the Saudi-Bahrain? Any reason for the rivarly?
    well Bahrain don't have any naturalised brazilians mate( that could've been a better idea than what the ppl in office right now are thinking). But no mate the CBs that played are not naturalised and you should see the same players this tournament. There are three naturalised players one from Morrocco and two from Nigeria, something that is largely opposed back in bahrain.

The thing with Bahrain and Saudi is weird tbh, its like there was always tension since the old days in the Gulf Cup and still. There were always huge fights between the fans( well i can only speak about the ones in bahrain and maybe in Qatar). Its a rivalry that evolved over the years i guess, but they were always the better team( maybe thats why its so sweet to beat them :p )
    :agree:

Socceroos will get to the final no doubt and we will beat Japan no problem.
    The only trouble we may have is the conditions and if we loose the game by our own wrong doing.
    Dont be so sure mate, and trust me there are teams that are equal to Australia in this competition.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    Thailand 1 Iraq 1

not a bad game to watch...very even, back and forth game

The Thai's are fast, but are physically small

ararossi

Jun 6, 2007
    good opening game as far as opening games go would say a fair result eventhough at one point in the first half iraq were bossing and creating chance after chances but thai came back strongly in the second half

razza

Jun 5, 2007
    well Bahrain don't have any naturalised brazilians mate( that could've been a better idea than what the ppl in office right now are thinking). But no mate the CBs that played are not naturalised and you should see the same players this tournament. There are three naturalised players one from Morrocco and two from Nigeria, something that is largely opposed back in bahrain.

The thing with Bahrain and Saudi is weird tbh, its like there was always tension since the old days in the Gulf Cup and still. There were always huge fights between the fans( well i can only speak about the ones in bahrain and maybe in Qatar). Its a rivalry that evolved over the years i guess, but they were always the better team( maybe thats why its so sweet to beat them :p )

Dont be so sure mate, and trust me there are teams that are equal to Australia in this competition.
    Nothing wrong with confidence, but deep down I know it is not going to be easy. That first games showed. Iraq impressed but got cocky when coming out n the second half and the thais played really well. I am happy for the host nation to have played well and put themselves in a position to go through to the next round.

/usr/bin

Excellent
    Mar 6, 2005
    I really hope Bahrain have learned from past mistakes (and believe me, there were many) to really make an impact this time 'round.. :toast:

lavenderguy

Feb 28, 2005
    Y whoes AFC accept Australia to join in the first place? i see more cons than pro..
    to improve the soccer of this region? besides mark viduka, kewell, cahill, bresciano and maybe aloisi, and that guy who contributed the world cup to Italy...dearest Lucas Neil, i can;t really recall any more names from the aussie team.what happen to the socceroos after viduka & kewell retired from the aussie NT? rubgy and perhaps swimming just dominated the sport in aussie, just like rugby is the numero uno sport in new zealand. I studied in nz b4, so i know, i do like all blacks but then, almost all d sports channel concentrated on rugby along! hardly see any LIVE matches for the All White( guess what team is this? yeah, it's a football team, so much less known than their rubgy counterparts)...and nz dun even have a league of its own, need to join the aussie league.
    So, Australia thinks it can take up a spot in asia zone for the world cup? asia will show them that it's not an easy task...i mean asia produced stars too...e.g. nakamura, (need i say more about him?) takahara, park, lee, and those middle east players, some of their skills are dazzling too, just smaller physque...
    i just wanna ask one question, AFC has accepted australia, why don;t aust join in the Asia games as well?? very simple. coz australia doesn;t belong to asia. simple geography question

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
    I can see Viduka dominating this Asian Cup his strength will cause mass distruction in most of the asian defences! Kewell at 100% will also cause havoc!

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
    Y whoes AFC accept Australia to join in the first place? i see more cons than pro..
    to improve the soccer of this region? besides mark viduka, kewell, cahill, bresciano and maybe aloisi, and that guy who contributed the world cup to Italy...dearest Lucas Neil, i can;t really recall any more names from the aussie team.what happen to the socceroos after viduka & kewell retired from the aussie NT? rubgy and perhaps swimming just dominated the sport in aussie, just like rugby is the numero uno sport in new zealand. I studied in nz b4, so i know, i do like all blacks but then, almost all d sports channel concentrated on rugby along! hardly see any LIVE matches for the All White( guess what team is this? yeah, it's a football team, so much less known than their rubgy counterparts)...and nz dun even have a league of its own, need to join the aussie league.
    So, Australia thinks it can take up a spot in asia zone for the world cup? asia will show them that it's not an easy task...i mean asia produced stars too...e.g. nakamura, (need i say more about him?) takahara, park, lee, and those middle east players, some of their skills are dazzling too, just smaller physque...
    i just wanna ask one question, AFC has accepted australia, why don;t aust join in the Asia games as well?? very simple. coz australia doesn;t belong to asia. simple geography question
    Why is Israel in Europe? Have they improved hell yes. Its to better the football country, we want football to grow wat gets ppl excited over a oceania Cup nothing what gets people excited of a Asia Cup beating the likes of South Korea, japan, saudi arabia, iran, if Australia does not belong in Asia, Well show us on the pitch. If u dont like it cry urself a river buddy cause u better get used to it! We are here to stay.:agree: let the games begin!:agree:

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    there could be some pros of bringing Australia to Asia as imo there will be more attention to Asian football. This will ultimately give more chances to the Asian players to get some attention and a bit more chances even in Australia.

Also the other Asian teams could learn from the Australian experience, as imo its more organised than most Asian nations in regards to how they approached improving the game overall in the country. Now you see record crowds for the A-league and slowly challenging the other sports.

I see your point, as from the perspective of other smaller teams why do we need one more stronger nation to decrease our chances of doing well? But it could mean a bit of shift in power in the top which would mean a bit more competition and an increase of quality overall but not necessarily . As I see some of the other super powers of Asia up there with Australia in terms of quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)