The 4-yr. old Preacher (123 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreaCristiano

Nato, Vive, e muore Italiano
Jun 9, 2011
If you don't understand it, then why term it as 'super'? Cos super is an adjective used in places where we understand the original term we are describing. Like superhuman, supercomputer, supermarket, etc. If you're calling the unknown as supernatural, then it is inherently incorrect. You should rather call it the superunknown, if anything.
I don't call it super anything thats the common terminology

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #483
    I'm criticising the common terminology, not you. :)

By 'you', I mean Christians in general. Or any other religion which says the earth is not billions of years old.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I've missed this whole thread up until now, but when I saw that a thread about a 4 year-old preacher had reached ~500 posts, I had to take a look, and now I can see why.

I don't have time to go back and read the rest of this thread, but I'll answer this point:

I'm criticising the common terminology, not you. :)
    By 'you', I mean Christians in general. Or any other religion which says the earth is not billions of years old.
    Christians don't necessarily believe in a young earth, and the age of the earth is by no means a crucial part of Christianity. I personally believe in the 'days' of Creation being literal 24-hour periods, but also an old earth. Contrary to popular belief, the two views are not incompatible.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Ok, if you want to look at it that way.

But the fact is that it's not entirely clear in Genesis whether each 'day' was a 24-hour period or an 'age', which is a popular view amongst those who believe in an old earth. It's open to interpretation, so the 'picking and choosing' you so dismissively accuse me of is merely me leaning towards a particular viewpoint.

That may even change in the future as I reassess the text, but in the end it doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things.

OP
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #487
    It's not the interpretations I'm accusing of PnC, but the impact a certain topic has on your faith. I'd imagine that all of gods words have equal importance, but nooooo... some things he says don't even matter. Soon I'll meet a Christian who says whether the fact that he created Adam and Eve or not doesn't even matter to his faith!

:groan:

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
    Ok, if you want to look at it that way.

But the fact is that it's not entirely clear in Genesis whether each 'day' was a 24-hour period or an 'age', which is a popular view amongst those who believe in an old earth. It's open to interpretation, so the 'picking and choosing' you so dismissively accuse me of is merely me leaning towards a particular viewpoint.

That may even change in the future as I reassess the text, but in the end it doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things.
    I am of the party which believes that a Day in God's time which Genesis alludes to is an age in our time. we have to remember that a human life is but the blink of an eye of God

OP
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #489
    I am of the party which believes that a Day in God's time which Genesis alludes to is an age in our time. we have to remember that a human life is but the blink of an eye of God
    Is there a certain verse in the Bible that suggests that the days mentioned are actually ages? Or are you just making up your own interpretation?

Also, what if God actually implied the literal meaning rather than your expert interpretations? What if by second guessing god, you're pissing him off, thus going to hell?

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
    Is there a certain verse in the Bible that suggests that the days mentioned are actually ages? Or are you just making up your own interpretation?

Also, what if God actually implied the literal meaning rather than your expert interpretations? What if by second guessing god, you're pissing him off, thus going to hell?
    Your a bit over dramatic and ridiculous.
    Comparing Man and GOD’s time line

I would like to show you this little fact I got when I try to calculate the difference between GOD and Man’s time line. Did you know that 5 days here on earth is only 1 second clock tic on GOD’s time view?

GOD’s TIME MAN’s TIME
    1 second = 5 days

Based from the bible itself 1000 years here on earth is only 1 day (2 Peter 3:8) in the eyes of the LORD. Now lets break it up to get that 5 days on earth is equal to GOD’s one second.

MAN’s Time line GOD’S Time line
    1000yrs 1day
    500yrs 12 hrs
    250yrs 6hrs
    125yrs 3hrs
    62yrs & 6 mos 1hr & 30mins
    31yrs & 3mos 45mins
    15yrs & 7mos 15days 22mins & 30secs
    7yrs & 9mos 22days 12hrs 11mins & 15 secs
    3yrs ,10mos 26days 3hrs 5mins 37secs 30mili
    1yr 11mos 13days 1hr 30secs 2mins 48secs 45mili
    11mos 21days 12hrs 30min 15secs 1min 24sec 22.5mili
    5mos 25days 18hrs 15min 7sec 30mili 42secs 11.25mili
    2mos 27days 21hrs 7min 33secs 30mili 21secs 5.625mili
    1mon 13days 22hrs 33min 46secs 45mili 10secs 32.81mili
    21days 13hrs 16min 53sec 22.5mili 5secs 16.40mili
    10days 18hrs 38min 26sec 16.25mili 2secs 38.20mili
    5days 9hrs 19min 13secs 1sec 19.1mili

From that computation we see that 1 year on earth is only 2 minutes on GOD’s time!
    Lesson from this. Life is short… Our lives is just a couple of minutes on GOD’s time line so we must use it wisely.. Time will come we shall give account all things we have done while we are living.
    God bless you guys, post your thoughts on this topic.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    It's not the interpretations I'm accusing of PnC, but the impact a certain topic has on your faith. I'd imagine that all of gods words have equal importance, but nooooo... some things he says don't even matter. Soon I'll meet a Christian who says whether the fact that he created Adam and Eve or not doesn't even matter to his faith!

:groan:
    I believe, like 2 Timothy 3:16 says, that All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. When I say that the young/old earth issue isn't important in the grand scheme of things, I'm not saying that Genesis 1 isn't important, but that the age of the earth isn't a make-or-break issue in the Christian faith.

Giving equal importance to the whole Bible doesn't mean you have to get hung up on small details.

Fair point :)

Here's my reasoning:

In the context that it's used in Genesis, the Hebrew word 'yom' can only refer to a literal day, and especially in the context in which it's used, it must refer to a 24 hour period. Also, the fact that it says there was morning and evening on each day suggests to me that it's not referring to ages.

Like I've said though, it's not even a big deal ;)

That's not how salvation works.

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
    I believe, like 2 Timothy 3:16 says, that All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. When I say that the young/old earth issue isn't important in the grand scheme of things, I'm not saying that Genesis 1 isn't important, but that the age of the earth isn't a make-or-break issue in the Christian faith.

Giving equal importance to the whole Bible doesn't mean you have to get hung up on small details.

Fair point :)

Here's my reasoning:

In the context that it's used in Genesis, the Hebrew word 'yom' can only refer to a literal day, and especially in the context in which it's used, it must refer to a 24 hour period. Also, the fact that it says there was morning and evening on each day suggests to me that it's not referring to ages.

Like I've said though, it's not even a big deal ;)
    Yes but look at the above chart^^^

and this :
    http://www.iep.utm.edu/god-time/

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Why do you take that literally though? Just at first glance its seems more like an analogy. Time is our own creation/concept and if it wasn't for the sun we wouldn't even have that. Time in space doesn't exist; we're both in the past, the future, and the present in the same. So to me it just seems to be an analogy to make us understand in human terms.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Yes but look at the above chart^^^

and this :
    http://www.iep.utm.edu/god-time/
    Remember that 2 Peter 3:8 reads: But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

It's not literally saying that there's a metric by which we can measure God's time against ours. It's a simile. The words "But do not forget" show that Peter was quoting Psalm 90:4: For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night. If you're going to be consistent, this means that a watch in the night is also 1000 years to God.

Remember the context of 2 Peter 3. Peter is reminding Christians that God's promises aren't nullified by time, because there will be scoffers who go around saying "what happened to this promised return of Jesus?" He's saying that if Jesus promised to return 1000 years ago, it's as good as if he promised 1 day ago.

You have to be wary when it comes to numbers, since the Bible uses them figuratively a lot of the time, to imply perfection or completion. For example, when Jesus says in Matthew 18:22 that we should forgive our brother 70x7 times, he's not saying that if someone wrongs us for the 491st time, we shouldn't forgive them. It's figurative.

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
    Why do you take that literally though? Just at first glance its seems more like an analogy. Time is our own creation/concept and if it wasn't for the sun we wouldn't even have that. Time in space doesn't exist; we're both in the past, the future, and the present in the same. So to me it just seems to be an analogy to make us understand in human terms.
    well thats why i posted it, because the atheists here are trying to understand God's time in comparison to what we have accepted as rime

OP
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #500
    Interesting read, guys.

I got a question: if 1 day is equal to a thousand years, and the 7th day is observed as a sabbath, then shouldn't we actually be observing the millennium 6000-6999 as sabbath rather than every Sunday of the week? :D

well thats why i posted it, because the atheists here are trying to understand God's time in comparison to what we have accepted as rime
    But an atheist will ask you which gods' time are we trying to understand. Cos there are so many gods. 1 day in Brahma's life is equivalent to 8.64 billion human years. :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 123)