Terrorism (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

While I understand what you're getting at, I derive no confidence from the past three years where we've lacked major terrorist attacks on our soil. As I mentioned previously in this thread, the terrorists took 8 1/2 years to return to the WTC ... and during a time when anti-terrorist scrutiny was far more lax than it is today.

If we say that being rightfully prepared for terrorism means that we don't take anything for granted and that we don't shortchange the capacity of what horrible things terrorists are committed to doing (as we did with 9/11), we equally cannot take any confidence that the past three years are any indicator of future results. Fundamentalist Islam thinks in terms of centuries, not years. The past three years are a blink of an eye to terrorists, but an eternity for attention-deficit-disorder American culture.
Yes, your second paragraph is very true...................

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
The Patriot Act is a perfect example that Americans hate liberty. That's right - Americans would choose tyranny over liberty any day, and those in favor of the Patriot Act and the ultra-Right wing Christian Nazi's turn the screws tighter every year.

Every single day, at least two people ask me "how can you defend a person knowing he is guilty?" (I am a criminal defense lawyer). Why don't these people just say it - we don't need a constitution, we have no need for personal liberty - if the guy with a badge says you are guilty, you should just proceed to the prison.

Bin Laden has already defeated us. Individual liberties have been slowly disappearing since the 1960's, but never at such an accelerated rate than over the last 6-7 years.

peckface

approaching curve
Oct 3, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
Why, what did he say?
No its nothing really :p I was just tired and didn't feel to serious.

Something like "Bush says we don't want world peace. Then tell me why we didn't attack Sweden, for example".

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Padovano ] ++
The Patriot Act is a perfect example that Americans hate liberty. That's right - Americans would choose tyranny over liberty any day, and those in favor of the Patriot Act and the ultra-Right wing Christian Nazi's turn the screws tighter every year.

Every single day, at least two people ask me "how can you defend a person knowing he is guilty?" (I am a criminal defense lawyer). Why don't these people just say it - we don't need a constitution, we have no need for personal liberty - if the guy with a badge says you are guilty, you should just proceed to the prison.

Bin Laden has already defeated us. Individual liberties have been slowly disappearing since the 1960's, but never at such an accelerated rate than over the last 6-7 years.
Good post. Do you think that the people who support and push for this are actually in favour of repression of civil liberties or are they simply gullible people being lead by some very cynnical administrations.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
Do you know what a joke is, fool ???!!!
Work on your tonality.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Americans do not hate liberty. The intelligent proponents of the Patriot Act most probably do love liberty, but is that liberty worth risking another terrorist attack?

I happen to watch FSTV(not sure how many of us have it or subscribe to what Vinman would probably call "neo-commie-dissent from *****-faces left of Karl Marx...!!!???!!!", followed by "Do you know what a joke is, fool ???!!!" ;)

Apparently over 3000 people have been detained, for a substantial period of time(over 6 months) without any charges brought to the table, or a warrant for their arrest. Their businesses are regularly raided by FBI and IRS officers. Many people who are released are deported, regardless of whether their immigration status is in process or not, and abuse has been reported.

It doesnt sound so bad until you picture yourself in their situation.

The Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act. Wonder who throught that up.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Well whoopie woo, finally someone is taking the "Patriot Act" a little more seriously instead of dismissing it for the buzzword that it's designed to be perceived as. It's a very frightening development I think and who better than Padovano to appreciate that.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
I tried my best not to get into this topic, but i guess it was bound to be mentioned.

Oh well, good posts Pado and Josh..

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

Actually its rather difficult for me to comment on this topic. I have not really experianced the effects of this Act, mostly because I'm not a frequent traveller and not in DC all that much. I know some of my daily habits are observed (my presence on the internet). I guess if I were to be placed in an immigrant's shoes the story would be a lot different.

But while the Patriotic Act takes away Civil Liberties, you must admit it does make the country safer, but to the expense sometimes of truely innocent people.

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
Well whoopie woo, finally someone is taking the "Patriot Act" a little more seriously instead of dismissing it for the buzzword that it's designed to be perceived as. It's a very frightening development I think and who better than Padovano to appreciate that.
Meaning that Pado will no longer be able to have a wank without being detained?

But seriously, the Act violates the U.S. Constitution, a document that should be held sacred. Some Americans are all too happy to give up some rights and destroy this great document at the first sign of trouble. I believe that in ignoring the Constitution is an error so grave that there may be no returning to the principals the US was founded upon. If we have lost that, we have lost our country.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
Good post. Do you think that the people who support and push for this are actually in favour of repression of civil liberties or are they simply gullible people being lead by some very cynnical administrations.
Actually, I think said people are all in favor of rules and regulations that they don't recognize as ever applying to themselves. This happens all the time. See -- it's much easier to be for the death penalty, for example, when you think you'll never be accused of a crime (rightly or wrongly). But the fact is our laws need to universally apply to everyone.

It's the same motivation behind gated communities, for example. You always think that crime and risk are external things and you're perfectly insulated, so you put up walls thinking you're keeping that out. But what you don't recognize in your gated community is that spousal abuse, your kids doing drugs (and maybe breaking into houses for cash, etc.), all can happen within those very same walls that you think are keeping the trouble out.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

Actually, I think said people are all in favor of rules and regulations that they don't recognize as ever applying to themselves. This happens all the time. See -- it's much easier to be for the death penalty, for example, when you think you'll never be accused of a crime (rightly or wrongly). But the fact is our laws need to universally apply to everyone.

It's the same motivation behind gated communities, for example. You always think that crime and risk are external things and you're perfectly insulated, so you put up walls thinking you're keeping that out. But what you don't recognize in your gated community is that spousal abuse, your kids doing drugs (and maybe breaking into houses for cash, etc.), all can happen within those very same walls that you think are keeping the trouble out.

what can do? after all isnt democracy the worst form of government except everything else (like a friend of mine once said)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002

Meaning that Pado will no longer be able to have a wank without being detained?

But seriously, the Act violates the U.S. Constitution, a document that should be held sacred. Some Americans are all too happy to give up some rights and destroy this great document at the first sign of trouble. I believe that in ignoring the Constitution is an error so grave that there may be no returning to the principals the US was founded upon. If we have lost that, we have lost our country.
The Patriot Act is a similar system used by the govt to watch Mafia bosses, and major drug dealers........

Why shouldnt they use the same rules to fight terrorists that are trying to kill as many Americans as possible as they do with mafia bosses like John Gotti ??????

They are here, and we have to do what we can BEFORE they act !!!!!

Pado, I know were on different ends of the spectrum here (me being a police officer, you being a defense attorney), but we both have to agree that America's safety is the top priority

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
vinman in this application of the patriot act, EVERYBODY is being watched and targeted, whether or not there is evidence for it or not.

the application of the patriot act is on a grander scale than ever before. you needed evidence to prove a case against mr gotti and co. not so with the inmates at guatanamo bay. and at various detention centers.

while i am for the prevention of terrorism and for the security of the american people, i want to make it clear that this is not the way to go about it.

I also took the opportunity to skim through the whole thread, upon Andys suggestion, and I found Ian's views the closest to mine. In fact I would agree with almost everything he mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)