Terrorism (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
1. I don't care what the governments' motives were but the people who I actually give two shits about, ie the guys that actually have to lay their lives on the line are doing it to help others.
The troops are not there soley because they care about Iraqi kids and the future of Iraq. The troops are there because they want to defend their countires. (which they are't doing).
If you mean Aid workers however, then yes, I agree 100%.

2. Nevermind, it would be a hell of a lot more effective than what we're doing now. If people saw that every time these idiots beheaded someone they'd lose a mosque.. well I'm sure they'd lose support very very quickly
Nope.... they'd probibly gain support. Do you think mosques are only occupied by terrorists?
They're already losing their country, family, and friends to this war.
If you think more violence is the solution (not to mention the fact that your own government is the cause of all of this), then you're not any better than them.

3. Well yeah, but at least before they had an organised dictatorship, which is surely better than having thousands of random idiots from all sorts of foreign terror groups running around blowing people up whenever they please... not that I'm condoning Saddam's actions but the state of the country now is surely worse than it was before he was deposed.
I agree.

BTW, I doubt that the resistance is made from "forgeign" terror groups.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Many Iraqis, at least in their own minds, are fighting a war against occupation. To them, the U.S. is just like England was 80 years ago. I can't blame them.

It's funny how removing Saddam from power is spun to sound so much like a humanitarian cause out of the generosity of our humble hears to the Iraqi people. The White House administration says it's against dictators publicly. But based on their actions -- it's pretty clear we're only against dictators that don't serve our interests. It just doesn't sound so philanthropic when you add that conditional. The whole "dictator" schtick is just a ruse.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
Many Iraqis, at least in their own minds, are fighting a war against occupation. To them, the U.S. is just like England was 80 years ago. I can't blame them.

It's funny how removing Saddam from power is spun to sound so much like a humanitarian cause out of the generosity of our humble hears to the Iraqi people. The White House administration says it's against dictators publicly. But based on their actions -- it's pretty clear we're only against dictators that don't serve our interests. It just doesn't sound so philanthropic when you add that conditional. The whole "dictator" schtick is just a ruse.
It's a known fact, Swag.

Henry Kissinger once said about one of South American dictators: "He is a son of a bit*h, but he is OUR con of a bitc*h"

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

Who the hell are you now and what do you want? And no I wont do you a favour and shut up. And what is "Milosevic" supposed to mean?
I think he was trying to call you either Slobodon or Savo Milosevic or something. Who knows? :D

Aug 1, 2003

Well there's always some religious point to every struggle. It seems religion is the cause of all evil and to be honest, I think its all a bit pathetic.

I saw a picture the other week of some iraqi children and young adults celebrating the fact that a US tank had been blown up just behind them. What a bunch of complete and utter pr!cks. To think we actually went out there with the intention of laying down our lives to help these people! Then yet another innocent is taken prisoner.. do these people ever stop. IMO for every hostage beheaded we should blow up an insurgents' temple/mosque. That oughtta stop 'em. Or else simply pull out and let the country fall to bits.. its probably what the majority of its people deserve at this point.
To help Iraq? These people invade Iraq, is on war with Iraq for God knows why and innocent civilians are killed and things in Iraq are proved NOT better with the US's occupation. So what did you really expect kids to do, be sad that their invaders are dead? And with that, did it not occur to you that taking hostages is only a desperate act for the Iraqis? They only ask for these troops to go off from their land, and they would've released the hostages. These hostages could have been saved if their countries would've negotiated or pulled off their troops and more lives can be saved for both parties. Imagine yourself in an Iraqi's shoes and try see what you will do to fight off your country's invaders. If you can come up with a better idea than taking hostages, please, we would all be glad to hear it.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by sehnsucht79 ] ++
Imagine yourself in an Iraqi's shoes and try see what you will do to fight off your country's invaders. If you can come up with a better idea than taking hostages, please, we would all be glad to hear it.
OK well how about

1) not blowing up american tanks
2) not taking hostages and beheading them
3) giving up all the terrorist leaders
4) giving full support to the new iraqi government

doing all these things would make iraq a much less volatile place which, in turn would allow the coalition troops to leave!

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
Nope.... they'd probibly gain support. Do you think mosques are only occupied by terrorists?
They're already losing their country, family, and friends to this war.
If you think more violence is the solution (not to mention the fact that your own government is the cause of all of this), then you're not any better than them.

I agree.

BTW, I doubt that the resistance is made from "forgeign" terror groups.
1. I'll use the examp,e of the conflict that was making the news a while back. That cleric, Moqtada Al-Sadr I think was hiding out in a holy mosque and using it as a base to commit acts of terror. The sensible thing would have been to blow the place to hell, wiping out a hell of a lot of terrorists with it.

I'm not saying blow up random mosques, we should target ones that are known terrorist hideouts. Surely people will start to realise why they are getting destroyed and start co-operating with the US to get rid of the embaciles that are ruining their country. If not, then they're even more stupid than I thought.

I reckon btw the resistance is probably about half and half. They're certainly not all Iraqis, a lot of them probably from Saudi Arabia and surrounding countries, sent by OBL to stir things up. Thats my belief anyway

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #692
    That will never happen Tom. "Surely people will start to realise why they are getting destroyed and start co-operating with the US to get rid of the embaciles that are ruining their country." Hardly, good luck with that.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #694
    Well, I wouldnt call them morons, but they have a different tradition, religion and upbringing than you and me, and also live in much worse conditions, so you cant really expect them to look at things from the side like we do.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004

To help Iraq? These people invade Iraq, is on war with Iraq for God knows why and innocent civilians are killed and things in Iraq are proved NOT better with the US's occupation. So what did you really expect kids to do, be sad that their invaders are dead? And with that, did it not occur to you that taking hostages is only a desperate act for the Iraqis? They only ask for these troops to go off from their land, and they would've released the hostages. These hostages could have been saved if their countries would've negotiated or pulled off their troops and more lives can be saved for both parties. Imagine yourself in an Iraqi's shoes and try see what you will do to fight off your country's invaders. If you can come up with a better idea than taking hostages, please, we would all be glad to hear it.
    Yeah good idea. Lets negotiate with the terrorists, and then they will leave us all alone. Absolutely brilliant. :rolleyes:

And yes they are all morons.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003

OK well how about

1) not blowing up american tanks
    2) not taking hostages and beheading them
    3) giving up all the terrorist leaders
    4) giving full support to the new iraqi government

doing all these things would make iraq a much less volatile place which, in turn would allow the coalition troops to leave!

exactly! if people would just realise how much the US wants things to work in Iraq, if only so we don't have to have troops dying there!!!

Aug 1, 2003
    You're the one invading the country, and it's your people are taken as hostages. It's a no win situation. What else is there to do but negotiate? Unless you want more of your people to die, it's better to pull out your troops from Iraq. Not only innocent Iraqi civilians will live, but also there would be no more hostages killed etc and the number of casualties will dwindle down.

How can they stop bombing American tanks etc? Their country is being invaded by a foreign power. They can't just shut up and let it be, of course they have to fight against it. They won't give in, and personally I don't think they should. It won't happen.

I don't think Saddam is a good man at all, but I also honestly don't think the US wants to help Iraq. That's naive.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Yeah good idea. Lets negotiate with the terrorists, and then they will leave us all alone. Absolutely brilliant. :rolleyes:

And yes they are all morons.

We're the ones who need to leave them alone...

Iraq has nothing to do with 9/11 and this war isn't protecting the USA at all.

Again, think about who the agressor is in this case.

Jul 19, 2003
    How can they stop bombing American tanks etc? Their country is being invaded by a foreign power. They can't just shut up and let it be, of course they have to fight against it. They won't give in, and personally I don't think they should. It won't happen.

I don't think Saddam is a good man at all, but I also honestly don't think the US wants to help Iraq. That's naive.
    Agree 100%

America is like "Stop killing our troops while we continue to get a tighter grip of the country, kill your civilians, and secure the oil fields." Makes much sense. :rolleyes:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by HWIENIAWSKI ] ++
    exactly! if people would just realise how much the US wants things to work in Iraq, if only so we don't have to have troops dying there!!!
    <sigh> Which is code to most people in the Middle East that directly translates to: "Puppet government that will best serve American interests."

I honestly would like to be optimistic about things for the future over there, but I just don't see that as possible. The U.S. says they want to support a democratic Iraq, but "democratic" comes with an asterisk and some fine print: there's no way in hell the U.S. administration is going to accept thousands of dead American soldiers and $120 billion in the hole if, for example, the Iraqi people put popular political support behind mullahs of an Iranian-style theocracy who rise up as their best resistance leaders. These are some of the biggest public figures in Iraq today.

So it's pretty clear that the U.S would only support a democracy that meets our own criteria of -- and more like it, our preference for -- a democracy. Which in effect becomes no real "democracy" at all. It illegitimizes any government we help put in power. We have enough experience with the former Shah of Iran to know what that means.

This is going to be one long, bloody ride.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)