Terrorism (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++
I thought you were a bit slow in replying, but I guess you were checking some facts. :D
Well yeah. I had to whip out my Current Issues book from last year. Me, like all other teenagers, can't get this info off the top of our heads. :D

Why exactly?
The population of the U.S. is about 300 million. The population of Denmark is about 5 million. The Defense budget of the U.S. is $291 Billion, while Denmark's is only $2.3 Billion. The U.S. also spends billions in law enforcement, while I'm sure for Denmark its no where near the level of the U.S. The U.S. is also 3,535,000 sq. miles, while Denmark is 16,300 sq. miles. See the differences? The U.S. has much more to take care of than Denmark. The amount of aid we give, compared to other countries does seem small, but we have to spend much more to keep or nation safe, enjoyable, and free.

I see the numbers here, but the point is not too clear to me. Mind pointing it out?

And you have to be pretty ballsy to be calling the money you give to the world bank aid, I hope we can agree on that.

And I still don't understand why you even brought up the issue of forein aid in regards to Ian's post.
I really don't see your point actually. Numbers speak volumes. :D

And I brought this up in response to what Ian is saying about our influence over the world. We do have a huge influence to other nations because we help aid them.

Niggardly? Never heard the expression before, and certainly hope it doesn't means what it sounds like. What did you mean by it?
Come on, you think I would say something to that tone? Niggardly means "stingy". It was in my 11th grade vocab book, which for some reason not too many people have had yet. :undecide:

Consider that a vocab lesson. :D

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Well yeah. I had to whip out my Current Issues book from last year. Me, like all other teenagers, can't get this info off the top of our heads. :D
Sure, I didn't expect you to know it by heart. :D
The population of the U.S. is about 300 million. The population of Denmark is about 5 million. The Defense budget of the U.S. is $291 Billion, while Denmark's is only $2.3 Billion. The U.S. also spends billions in law enforcement, while I'm sure for Denmark its no where near the level of the U.S. The U.S. is also 3,535,000 sq. miles, while Denmark is 16,300 sq. miles. See the differences? The U.S. has much more to take care of than Denmark. The amount of aid we give, compared to other countries does seem small, but we have to spend much more to keep or nation safe, enjoyable, and free.
Yes, but as mentioned earlier, your income and and wealth is much much larger. As you mentioned earlier, America is the (economical) superpower of the world, but doesn't necessarily dish out "independent" financial aid like one. Wich brings me to...
I really don't see your point actually. Numbers speak volumes. :D

And I brought this up in response to what Ian is saying about our influence over the world. We do have a huge influence to other nations because we help aid them.
... my other point(s). Numbers often only speak volumes when looked upon in comparison with other numbers, that was what I ment. As the Denmark/America example.

And I think that many feel that what you're saying here many people feel is wrong, and that's why they have "beef" with America. They feel that the biggest American influence doesn't come from financial aid, but through "aid" as the world bank, "aid" as with the war on Iraq, or through globalization of American culture.
Come on, you think I would say something to that tone? Niggardly means "stingy". It was in my 11th grade vocab book, which for some reason not too many people have had yet. :undecide:

Consider that a vocab lesson. :D
Yeah, as mentioned, my bad. :)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++
... my other point(s). Numbers often only speak volumes when looked upon in comparison with other numbers, that was what I ment. As the Denmark/America example.

And I think that many feel that what you're saying here many people feel is wrong, and that's why they have "beef" with America. They feel that the biggest American influence doesn't come from financial aid, but through "aid" as the world bank, "aid" as with the war on Iraq, or through globalization of American culture.
I'm really getting bored with this, and I've already put away my Current Issues book, so ya know. :D

Well all I can say is thats wrong. Like I've posted before, In the 2004 Budget, President Bush requested $75 million for the Trust Fund for Heavily Indebted Poor Countries, and an additional $320 million for other debt programs. That is a good amount of money. And that does not include the war on Iraq, which did relieve a country of a bastard leader. Maybe we should give more, but then people would say that we are again spreading our culture. Thats up to the people in charge, and the citizens of the U.S. who have the right to vote.

All I can say is that being called the enemy to the world isn't very fair, and thats what I'm pissed off about the most. Don't blame me and my fellow countrymen. Blame the people in charge who pull the strings. Blame Bush, go ahead, although everyones hatred towards him might be a little naive IMO. But don't worry for all you Bush haters, he will only be in office for another 4 years, that is, if he gets elected. Will the world hate America if Kerry wins the election? My guess is yes, because bad blood will never go away. Its a blessing to be able to live in this country, I know, but now in terms of world view, its hard to be an American.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
Just lines on a map, political divisions and to a certian extent, similar cultures. People need to realize that none of these national differences matter. Everyone in the world is a person and is no better or worse then anyone else. It disgusts me.

Competition among nations in football is fun. Competition among nations in war, food, security, health, etc. is just disgusting.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #268
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++

The wrong way I deal with terrorists ??????

And what would be YOUR better way to deal with them ??? Surrender our country to radical Islam, like Bin Laden wants ?? (and yes , he has said that many times)

As far as the country breaking up, wait and see what happens if Kerry wins the election, we'll see what he does when were hit with another attack.......

You? It aint all about YOU, I was talking abut Bush :rolleyes:

And maybe kerry will be able to actually make some friends in the world, instead of alianating them. The scary thing about America's policies isnt that the muslim countries hate the US, thats always been the case, it's that a lot of people in Europe are starting to. You're not destroying enemies, in fact you're making enemies of your friends.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #269
    Also, IMO the invasion of Iraq will backfire, could become another Vietnam. You have innocent people dieing, clashes every day, little signs of improvement, and sooner or later people will get tired of their children being wounded and killed there. To top it off, oil prices are the highest in the last 20 years at around 43-44$ a barrel, compared to the 25$ a barrel orice the US predicted and announced at the start of the iraq invasion.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

And maybe kerry will be able to actually make some friends in the world, instead of alianating them. The scary thing about America's policies isnt that the muslim countries hate the US, thats always been the case, it's that a lot of people in Europe are starting to. You're not destroying enemies, in fact you're making enemies of your friends.
    Supposedly. :rolleyes:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Also, IMO the invasion of Iraq will backfire, could become another Vietnam. You have innocent people dieing, clashes every day, little signs of improvement, and sooner or later people will get tired of their children being wounded and killed there. To top it off, oil prices are the highest in the last 20 years at around 43-44$ a barrel, compared to the 25$ a barrel orice the US predicted and announced at the start of the iraq invasion.
    Well the situation isn't good, thats for sure. But would you rather have us stay and help, or just pull everybody out of there for the country to go to hell? I was all for removing Saddam, but not this tiresome ordeal.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002

Well the situation isn't good, thats for sure. But would you rather have us stay and help, or just pull everybody out of there for the country to go to hell? I was all for removing Saddam, but not this tiresome ordeal.
    Well what did you think would happen after Saddam was removed? The tiresome ordeal is all part of invading the country. Iraq has always been a fractured country, put together aribitrairly by Englishmen after the first World War. The various groups inside the country have never gotten along in the past so creating a productive society there was clearly going to be a very diifcult task, far beyond the understanding of the Bush administration. Say what you want about them, they do some things well but nation building certianly is not one (in fact Bush campaigned the first time and promised the US wouldn't be invloved in nation building.

Reagrdless, the US and their coalition destroyed much of the countries infrastrcuture, should they then just leave once Hussein is captured? The US shunned international help before the war so they really created a less than desireable situation for themself now.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++

Well what did you think would happen after Saddam was removed? The tiresome ordeal is all part of invading the country. Iraq has always been a fractured country, put together aribitrairly by Englishmen after the first World War. The various groups inside the country have never gotten along in the past so creating a productive society there was clearly going to be a very diifcult task, far beyond the understanding of the Bush administration. Say what you want about them, they do some things well but nation building certianly is not one (in fact Bush campaigned the first time and promised the US wouldn't be invloved in nation building.

Reagrdless, the US and their coalition destroyed much of the countries infrastrcuture, should they then just leave once Hussein is captured? The US shunned international help before the war so they really created a less than desireable situation for themself now.
    Thats what I'm saying. I wish Bush would have stuck with his original policy of no nation building.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002

OK, and while the "friend of the world" Bill Clinton was in office this is what happened:

1993- first World Trade Center bombing

1998- bombing of US embassies in Africa

2000- bombing of USS Cole in Yemen

The extremests will be thrilled if Kerry wins, and do you want to know why ?????

Because , as in the above acts of terrorism, the US did NOTHING !!!!!!

Love him or hate him, at least Bush takes action

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #280

Supposedly we are losing friends, maybe except for England. Just hope that this doesn't continue after Bush is gone from office.

Exactly. Thats what I said ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)