Teenager saves Microsoft from Hackers, gets huge reward (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
19-year-old raises the alarm over security hole and is rewarded with precisely £0

A teenager who discovered a security hole in Windows and worked with Redmond for six months to fix the problem has received his reward from the multi-billion dollar company: a mere note of thanks on its website.

19-year-old Matt Thompson from Aberdeen was newly employed with a local IT firm after leaving college when he discovered the security hole in the Jet Database Engine - which if exploited would have let hackers take control of a user's PC and given virus writers reason to smile.

He stumbled across the error while working on a database project for a client and, after crashing a server, realised something was amiss.

After several calls to various helpdesks with Thompson explaining that he wasn't a domestic user with a toolbar problem but had actually found a security error that needed fixing, Microsoft took his complaints seriously.

Half a year of code-swapping and collaboration later and the problem was sorted, with Thompson being sworn to secrecy over his security sleuthing achievements.

Gates and co issued the now-customary update and let customers know, but when the dust had settled, instead of bunging the teenage boffin a few quid from the bulging Microsoft coffers for his work, the software firm took a more low-key approach to their security saviour's work.

It added his name to the list of special acknowledgements on the corporate site.

While, according to reports, Thompson is quite chuffed to have worked with the software giant, many people have been left wondering if a company that can absorb a €497m fine without breaking stride could have given the tech whizzkid a cash sum for his trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assholes :groan:

Buy on AliExpress.com

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
and if he broke the sworn of secrecy Microsot will give him whole lots a trouble..

thats not worth all the trouble. he dont even work for them.. he shouldl have work with the hackers and virus spammers instead...

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
I mean you would think Microsoft would pay him to encourage other people/hackers to report holes/bugs in Windows to Microsoft. After this, I dont think another computer guy would ever report something to Microsoft.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Josh ] ++
well it sets a precendent doesnt it?

i mean who'd want to help microsoft now? :D
maybe microsoft knew they have a lot of hole in their system and dont want to set a trend where millions of young hackers reporting them to get rewards..:p

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    It's not just about simply reporting them though, he worked with them for 6 months to patch it up ffs :fero:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    They have the worst PR department in the world :howler:

Remember Mike Rowe of mikerowesoft.com? Their first reaction was to sue him but after realizing that it would be YET ANOTHER case of bad publicity and undermining the company's credibility, they dropped the suit and invited him on a tour of the company.

Lamers :D

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #14
    And risk getting sued for millions by Microsoft for defamation? I doubt it

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++

maybe microsoft knew they have a lot of hole in their system and dont want to set a trend where millions of young hackers reporting them to get rewards..:p

haha. but the money they lose from those holEs is much bigger than the rewards they wouLd give the peopLe that find them

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
    Maybe the kid got payed and doesn't want anyone to know.
    I heard he got an xbox loaded with games and accessories.
    Something that means he gets every microsoft product free forever.
    And the trip to microsoft headquarters.

So not bad really :)

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Emma Mac ] ++

I heard he got an xbox loaded with games and accessories.
    Something that means he gets every microsoft product free forever.
    And the trip to microsoft headquarters.

So not bad really :)
    i got to make this kid my friend

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Josh ] ++
    yeah. an xbox!!!! woot woot!!! six months of work for an xbox!!!

(whisper) but what if it breaks?
    I meant the software. If he sold all the microsoft software he got he would make quite a bit. And its for life.

Not so bad i dont think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)