Techno, Trance & House - Reborn (4 Viewers)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Umm, not anything recent mate. It would all be old stuff, around years 1997-2001 ish. That sort of music is getting hard to come by these days

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
Jeeks said:
Israelis are one of the best in Psy trance and the raves that take place in Israel are one of the best in the world, I wish I can attend a festival with Astrix or Xerox and Illumination. Damn politics :(

True, I got a bunch of friends that have been to Israel and they went to parties like that every weekend. They saw Infected Mushroom a couple times and said it was completel awesome

Dec 20, 2004
Like for example : Push-Strange World. Beautiful track.

By the way what is the difference between house and trance? and why does everyone LOVE house now?

Also what do you guys think of Yoji Biomehanika and his style of Trance?

djleli

Aug 12, 2004
Zlatan är Kung said:

By the way what is the difference between house and trance? and why does everyone LOVE house now?

I think the difference is a subtle one, and certainly varies from place to place and arguably even from person to person. This is from knowing a few fans of either/both genre, though I am only a casual fan. My take is that trance is a subset or offshoot of house. I imagine the lines are very blurry when comparing Asia, US and UK/Europe definitions.

Trance is more... trancey. Lots of repeated, slowly morphing, spacey synths. Lots of reverb. I would say it's more druggy (but YMMV -- I guess some people might prefer to do their drugs while listening/dancing to house). It's certainly got more of a "I'm flying thru the cosmos on a beam of light" feel.

Sometimes it's ridiculously cheesy and emotionally manipulative. I got tired of trance about 5 years ago, after buying one too many trance compilation CDs; after a while, it all starts to sound the same: buildup, breakdown, buildup, breakdown.

Having said that, the best trance producers I know of are Sasha and Digweed. I recommend seeking out some of their stuff -- it's less cliched than Oakenfold and van Dyk.

House, as someone said upthread, has more black and Latin influences -- funk, gospel, blues, salsa. It sounds less synthetic, more like it's performed by real people using real instruments.

Lately there's a subgenre called electro-house, which is neither trance nor traditional house nor techno, but has similarities to all three. It has a house beat (4/4 with some syncopation and variations), and weird, dark, edgy/noisy synths. Also a lot of EQ sweeps -- for example, you'll hear a phrase of music or singing or speaking, looped, very muffled, and as it repeats it slowly becomes more clear as the treble is turned up, or it starts out tinny and gets richer as the bass is turned up.

djleli

Aug 12, 2004
Zlatan är Kung said:

what a track push - strange world

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I still can't understand people are in to this.

I mean, I realise you can like Massive Attack, which is often repetitive, but house and techno? How is that ever going to compete with the sheer beauty of U2's "One" or the rawness of "Zero" by the Smashing Pumpkins? I just don't get it why these things are so popular.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)