Tech Support (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2006
I know there are a lot of Playstation heathens on this forum, but I am going completely nuts with this problem. I'm going to copy and paste a post I made on another forum I visit. Please help if you have any fucking idea whats going on here.

xbox 360 not recognizing wired connection.
A few weeks ago i was having problems with my wireless router and my xbox 360. These problems have seemed to been resolved recently.

But at one point while playing around with it, i plugged in an ethernet cable for the wired connection and it worked fine. When I got the wireless back running again i disconnected it and forgot about it.

Well, tonight I have been playing around with the wired connection and my xbox 360 will not recognize that it is plugged directly into the router. The light on the router for each port i plug it in will not turn on.

I tried unplugging the wireless adapter on my xbox (its one of the old ones) and that didnt work. tried reboot everything, router, cable modem, 360, non of it works. Tried doing a system restart on the 360 and the same plroblem still occurs. Even tried two different xbox brand ethernet cables. same problem.

Am I missing something here? I'm perplexed because just a couple weeks ago it connected via ethernet just fine. Suggestions would be welcome.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
You did a 'restore factory default' on your network settings for the Xbox? (System > Wired Network).

I've heard of this problem before, it seems to occur when people often change wires around, go from wired to wireless, move the console around etc. The light not turning on at the port does sound like the port may well have been fried.

This might also help:
There is a really good chance that you are getting interference from other wireless devices in your home, e.g Dect phones, digisenders etc. That will definitely cause your connection to fail.

Unplug all of these and configure your xbox to detect ip and DNS automatically. Restart the xbox live detection. If you get a connection, power up each wireless device individually and restart xbox detection after each device is switched on.

You will find that it will fail to detect when the interfering device is switched on.

Most wireless devices alow you to change channels (thus frequency). Set your interfering device to a different channel until you find one that will allow xbox live to connect fairly quickly (within 15 seconds or so).

If this doesnt work, change the channel on your router and restart.

OP
Vinny Del Pogba
Jul 10, 2006
  • Thread Starter #9
    You did a 'restore factory default' on your network settings for the Xbox? (System > Wired Network).

I've heard of this problem before, it seems to occur when people often change wires around, go from wired to wireless, move the console around etc. The light not turning on at the port does sound like the port may well have been fried.

This might also help:
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot later today and see if that helps.

OP
    Vinny Del Pogba
    Jul 10, 2006
  • Thread Starter #11
    The ports on the router work fine, the wires work fine. The xbox is just not recognizing that the ethernet wire is plugged in and connected to the router.

i unplugged the wireless adapter from the xbox and redid the initial setting on the network setting on the xbox and in general and still have the same problem.... :(

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking that somehow within the last two weeks the ethernet port went bad. have no idea how that happened. and i'm really issed about it. lol

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Test the wired router connection with your laptop & check if it's working. If you get an ip address then you can rule out the router & cable. If it does not work then check dhcp settings on the router. Remember to configure your laptop to acquire ip address automatically via dhcp server.

OP
    Vinny Del Pogba
    Jul 10, 2006
  • Thread Starter #13
    Test the wired router connection with your laptop & check if it's working. If you get an ip address then you can rule out the router & cable. If it does not work then check dhcp settings on the router. Remember to configure your laptop to acquire ip address automatically via dhcp server.
    The laptop was able to connected to all four router connections with both wires I have been trying to use. So it's not the router or the wires. The Xbox 360 is abe to connect to the router via the wireless adapter (again, this is the older white xbox 360) so I don't think there should be any problem with the router finding the xbox and vice versa wirelessly. The problem is that the xbox is recognizing that a wired connection exists. Yet just a week or two ago it did and nothing has really happened that would lead me to believe that the ethernet port on the xbox is damaged in any way.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    The laptop was able to connected to all four router connections with both wires I have been trying to use. So it's not the router or the wires. The Xbox 360 is abe to connect to the router via the wireless adapter (again, this is the older white xbox 360) so I don't think there should be any problem with the router finding the xbox and vice versa wirelessly. The problem is that the xbox is recognizing that a wired connection exists. Yet just a week or two ago it did and nothing has really happened that would lead me to believe that the ethernet port on the xbox is damaged in any way.
    Don't know much about Xboxes but is there a utility to check whether the ip stack is initialized?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)