Tactics and Formations (20 Viewers)

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Watching this Juve team under Sarri has given me some mixed feelings but generally more positive than negative.

Yes its not perfect - far from it. I still believe we are generally playing better "football" compared to Allegri - or at least more pleasing on the eye. However, so far at least, its less effective and less efficient.

I feel that Sarri's game can be amazing but it needs to be so well refined and organized before it becomes amazing. The biggest criticism I have so far relates to when we are facing opposition that parks the bus. We retain a lot of possession and have some nice quick 1 or 2 touch football but I feel we are not creating enough chances vs the number of chances we concede and vs the amount of time we have on the ball. Allegri's football no matter however dull was good at creating more chances than we concede and good chance to possession ratio - but it came unstuck when we played teams that played really good intelligent attacking football from teams that had high levels of both tactical and technical ability.

The biggest missing link I think can be explained. Because Sarri used to get his width from one of the full backs and 1 of the front three (normally on opposing sides of a 433), the football seemed to stretch the defense and create many opportunities. With Juventus, he has mostly opted for a 4312 given the lack of consistent fitness and availability of Costa, the lack of faith in Berna, the lack of suitability of Dybala in a wide role and the lack of willingness to waste Ronaldo out wide - and Cuadrado's preference as a full back. So in order for us to create more chances with the current system you need either the full backs to push up (which mostly happens with Cuadrado) or Ronaldo to provide the width on the other side - which he is not really asked to do (for good reason - more effective as a center forward). So Higuain is good at working hard and helping link up play, but aside from Ronaldo, no one else is making enough runs off the ball. We need more movement off the ball I think. I think that will take time but once we perfect that, I really think this team can move up a level or two.

Our abilities in holding possession and working balls in tight spaces has drastically improved. But to create opportunities you need a combination of neat passing and movement to create space and scoring opportunities. Its the movement we are lacking at present.

Apr 19, 2007
Watching this Juve team under Sarri has given me some mixed feelings but generally more positive than negative.

Yes its not perfect - far from it. I still believe we are generally playing better "football" compared to Allegri - or at least more pleasing on the eye. However, so far at least, its less effective and less efficient.

I feel that Sarri's game can be amazing but it needs to be so well refined and organized before it becomes amazing. The biggest criticism I have so far relates to when we are facing opposition that parks the bus. We retain a lot of possession and have some nice quick 1 or 2 touch football but I feel we are not creating enough chances vs the number of chances we concede and vs the amount of time we have on the ball. Allegri's football no matter however dull was good at creating more chances than we concede and good chance to possession ratio - but it came unstuck when we played teams that played really good intelligent attacking football from teams that had high levels of both tactical and technical ability.

The biggest missing link I think can be explained. Because Sarri used to get his width from one of the full backs and 1 of the front three (normally on opposing sides of a 433), the football seemed to stretch the defense and create many opportunities. With Juventus, he has mostly opted for a 4312 given the lack of consistent fitness and availability of Costa, the lack of faith in Berna, the lack of suitability of Dybala in a wide role and the lack of willingness to waste Ronaldo out wide - and Cuadrado's preference as a full back. So in order for us to create more chances with the current system you need either the full backs to push up (which mostly happens with Cuadrado) or Ronaldo to provide the width on the other side - which he is not really asked to do (for good reason - more effective as a center forward). So Higuain is good at working hard and helping link up play, but aside from Ronaldo, no one else is making enough runs off the ball. We need more movement off the ball I think. I think that will take time but once we perfect that, I really think this team can move up a level or two.

Our abilities in holding possession and working balls in tight spaces has drastically improved. But to create opportunities you need a combination of neat passing and movement to create space and scoring opportunities. Its the movement we are lacking at present.
I agree with just about everything. I do think there will be more space in the games in the CL as I dont see to many teams staying compact against us out of fear. The question I have is will we be clinical in the chances we do get in the CL and can we play a more open game and still keep oponents out of the goal.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I dont even care who plays wide just play 4-3-3 instead of this atrocious 4312.

play dybala wide, play ronaldo wide, cuadrado, bernardeschi, alex sandro, higuan, matuidi, ramsey.

just stop with the narrow 4312 please.

- - - Updated - - -

i would like to see 3412 or 352 but Sarri no flexible so...

Tolath

Jun 3, 2018
I don't think Sarri will ever play 3-5-2 and no an ideal formation considering high defensive line , Zonal marking and possession.but who knows.

Still a lot work to have Chiel back in his best to consider 3 at the back.

David01

Aug 20, 2006
I think Sarri has to try a 4-2-3-1, it would a lot more creativity and support defensively as well, maybe not a long term sollution but it would make our team more fluid! play Pjanic next to Bettancur in midfield, Ronaldo and Costa on the Wings Higuain as a striker and Dybala right behind him!

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I think Sarri has to try a 4-2-3-1, it would a lot more creativity and support defensively as well, maybe not a long term sollution but it would make our team more fluid! play Pjanic next to Bettancur in midfield, Ronaldo and Costa on the Wings Higuain as a striker and Dybala right behind him!
sarri is talking about balance all the time. as things stand now, we can't barely fit 3 straight out attacking players in our team, let alone 4. costa, higuain, dybala and ronaldo will never be on the pitch all together, unless we're already fucked and need a goal badly. it won't be and shouldn't be our first plan.

the peak of our previous 4-2-3-1 experiment was vs barcelona (home game, 3-0). from that game, we're missing dani alves, mandzukic, khedira, chiellini, and we have ronaldo who can't be benched. comparing the two squads, de ligt is an obvious chiellini replacement, bentancur could double for khedira, cuadrado could still play rw, but we don't have neither a dani alves, nor a mandzukic. costa fans will argue that dc could play left winger, but that would leave pjanic and sandro covering for the entire left side. and no, costa can't regularly track back just like mandzukic did with ease on a weekly basis. matuidi could play lw like he did with the world cup winning france team, but tuz would crucify both him and the coach for the failed experiment. a couple of months ago, when matuidi looked a lot fresher, it would have been worth a try.

sarri will stick with at least a 3-man midfield, and considering the players at our disposal and their form, i agree.

Tolath

Jun 3, 2018
I don't understand whats the problem with head coaches this days and balance?
Even Allegri used that word so often.

3 man def with Demiral and Chiel out no point even to consider it.and apart of that a lot of tactical issues to use it.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
Cuads RM and Costa LM with Ronaldo up front. But then we have to rely on Danilo or MDS at RB. Id actually have liked to see Can at RB in that setup, but too late now
Right back has been a constant problem for us since 2017, when we sold Alves and Licht declined.

We’ve had plenty of pretenders since then but no one has been able to make it theirs. MDS and Danilo are too talentless. Cancelo was brainless. Now here we are playing a 32 year old winger in that position, Man United style.

Jun 7, 2003
Right back has been a constant problem for us since 2017, when we sold Alves and Licht declined.

We’ve had plenty of pretenders since then but no one has been able to make it theirs. MDS and Danilo are too talentless. Cancelo was brainless. Now here we are playing a 32 year old winger in that position, Man United style.
Cuadrado is actually playing really good the whole season, just against Napoli i didn't like his performance. Also both of our Fullbacks should cross more and the Corners not always short just cross it in the Area and CR7 will do the rest.

Apr 19, 2007
That formation requires a few things.
1. High work rate from the wingers to support back
2. ability to press well up the field with athletic and well organized players
3. Wingers that can create heavily in a 1v1 scenario

A few things that I dont like and think wont work.
1. Asking Ronaldo to work high on the offensive and defensive front is plain dumb.
2. Trying to press with thos front players wouldnt work well IMO as we are to slow and weak for that.

- - - Updated - - -

4-3-1-2 only works with GOAT AMFs -- Zidane, Kaka etc.
Zidane used it a bit with Isco during the epic run of Real Madrid. Just like with Isco you have the ability to go wider if you need and you need some defenders capable of width. I think we have these things to be succesful. If we need width Ronaldo can push wider while Cuads can push higher on that side to give more width. Marcelo and Carvajal did this well for Real Madrid

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Tek
JC/Danilo, de Ligt, Chiellini, AS
Ramsey/JC, Bent, Rabiot, DC
Dybala, Ronaldo

Cuadrado is a problem defensively esp for big games. Unfortunately, Danilo and MDS are too. Danilo has been least suspect from the little he played.

Here's to hoping Chiellini will be 100% at business end of the season. Missing both his aerial ability (Bonucci has none) and leadership.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
The only way to balance the team is to play Ronaldo as a #9.

Classic 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with him in the centre and sacrifice Dybala on the wing. That's it. The rest of the solutions are completely unbalanced.

You would have to relax on high pressing and counter attack more to give him more space but I don't see that as a problem in the UCL really. Probably a benefit to be honest.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
The only way to balance the team is to play Ronaldo as a #9.

Classic 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with him in the centre and sacrifice Dybala on the wing. That's it. The rest of the solutions are completely unbalanced.

You would have to relax on high pressing and counter attack more to give him more space but I don't see that as a problem in the UCL really. Probably a benefit to be honest.
and we're back to last season when dybala played on the wings. sarri already tried it too, it was working better than expected, then maurice benched dybala. :boh:

i still think that with 4 healthy cb, a 3-man backline and 2 strikers (cr-dybala) would make sense. bonucci's weaknesses would be less glaring too. sarri would never try it though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)