4-2-2-2

------------------------Kurwa-----------------------
----Cancelo--De Ligt--Chiello--Sandro
-----------------Pjanic----Rabiot---------------
-----------Berna--------------Ramsey---------
----------------Dybala--Ronaldo---------------

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Based on what I have learned about Sarribal etc I wouldn't be surprised to see the following:

----------------------Szczesny----------------------

---------------De Ligt-----Chiellini---------------
Cancelo-----------------------------------Sandro
------------------------Pjanic-------------------------
--------------------------------------Rabiot-----------
------Ramsey/Berna------------------------------

Costa/Berna------Dybala----Ronaldo-----

Think Pjanic is his Jorginho
Rabiot is his Allan
Ramsey and Bernardeschi are his Hamsik
Dybala his Mertens
Ronaldo is his Insigne
Costa (and Berna) his Callejon

I read a really good tactical analysis on-line about how he played with Napoli in the year where they turned Mertens into a false 9 where he and Insigne would interchange and cut in a lot while Callejon would stay out wide more often.

Basically he played a 4-3-3 but it was super fluid. When Napoli played out of defence, he basically played a 3-4-3 as Jorginho played VERY deep in front of the 2 center backs who moved out wide - more like a 3rd defender while the full backs moved forward to more like a wing back position. When defending it was a compact 4-4-1-1 (so think Dybala behind Ronaldo). When attacking in the opposition's half it was more like a 4231 (think Costa-Ramsey-Ronaldo behind Dybala). During our press it would be a 442 (Dybala and one of Ronaldo or Costa pressing the center backs).

The strategy behind his tactics is pretty solid but it requires every player to be on board and know what to do in those different phases. There could definitely be teething issue as everyone gets used to the system. One of the reasons why his Chelsea got whipped by City was that Guardiola figured you need to target Jorginho - hence Pjanic's positional play will be crucial especially when Chelsea was pressing City.

Can't wait to see it in action though - even during those meaningless friendlies.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
If we somehow managed to get something like this:

CR7 - Icardi - Berna

Eriksen

Pjanic - Rabiot

AS - Chiellini - De Ligt - Cancelo

Woj

I still cannot find Dybala in the starting lineup as long as we have main striker or CR7.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
I have a strong got feeling that dybala will be the false 9
Nah, there's no way especially if we don't even have main striker. It would basically mean CR and Kean opening, Dybala playing false 9 so it wouldn't really leave us any wingers beside Ronaldo occasionally on left. Dybala can only start if we're going for 4-4-2 or against lower side teams, when we don't need that guys down there.

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
If we somehow managed to get something like this:

CR7 - Icardi - Berna

Eriksen

Pjanic - Rabiot

AS - Chiellini - De Ligt - Cancelo

Woj

I still cannot find Dybala in the starting lineup as long as we have main striker or CR7.
E...risken!! :tuttosport:

rainhard

May 5, 2004
how about this? How about putting Pjanic at LCM and Rabiot as the deepest lying mid/ regista? how about dat?

My name is Kyle and I endorse this message.
I think Bentancur are better playing deeper and defensive. Too bad if we dont maximize Rabiot playing in more attacking position

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
We're playing 433 with the ball and 442 without - same as under Allegri (except when he fielded three strikers :disagree:) with Matuidi in same role (is he also still playing the same role with France?).

Eventually, can play 442 in attack as second tactic too. Wouldn't even need Dybala to play F9 if that's contentious for some reason.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
We're playing 433 with the ball and 442 without - same as under Allegri (except when he fielded three strikers :disagree:) with Matuidi in same role (is he also still playing the same role with France?).

Eventually, can play 442 in attack as second tactic too. Wouldn't even need Dybala to play F9 if that's contentious for some reason.
This is why Matuidi still plays. I have questions whether Rabiot can run enough for this role. But I want to see Berna there for a few minutes against Brescia or something. Because that also gives you the 4-4-2 attack option.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012

I'm not gonna pretend I watch France NT often, but from the official lineups posted it seems like Matuidi is not that advanced on the pitch for France, which plays 4-2-3-1
fnt.PNG

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I'm not gonna pretend I watch France NT often, but from the official lineups posted it seems like Matuidi is not that advanced on the pitch for France, which plays 4-2-3-1
fnt.PNG
matuidi often plays on the left for france, in a weird wingback/"defensive winger" kind of role, and high pressing is his main duty. imagine him in lemar's position on that lineup, with hernandez and matuidi covering the left side of the pitch. it's quite a different system.

Apr 19, 2007
fnt.PNG
In the world cup he played similarly to carrent position. Covering the left while Mbappe covers the right. Giroud up top and griez goes more inside similar to Ronaldo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)