Tactics and Formations (7 Viewers)

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
Jul 22, 2013
I got 36, I was disappointed with the questions though. The only one I was sure I answered the "hipster" version of was the catenaccio question, because it bothers the shit out of me when people misuse that term.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
@Nzoric

6. You're at the match. Your team's striker has just been hacked down by the bruising centre-half, but the referee waves play on. Do you:

Calmly scribble down another note on your iPad, secretly pleased that you have something controversial to write about in your blog

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
@Nzoric

6. You're at the match. Your team's striker has just been hacked down by the bruising centre-half, but the referee waves play on. Do you:

Calmly scribble down another note on your iPad, secretly pleased that you have something controversial to write about in your blog
Unexpected strike, I can respect that. I wish I had a blog - could be fun to write shit and get commercial money.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I got 36, I was disappointed with the questions though. The only one I was sure I answered the "hipster" version of was the catenaccio question, because it bothers the shit out of me when people misuse that term.
Yeah, it's insulting to great teams of the past when an old ultra-defensive performance is labelled catenaccio.

Anything resembling genuine catenaccio is extremely rare nowadays.

Was hoping it'd make a comeback with all these teams playing with back fives in Serie A, but they still don't seem inclined to man-mark.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
With the lack of offensive wide players Juventus might use 4-3-1-2 formation more regularly as an alternative to the existing one and not only in Europe like it was previously assumed. According to Tuttosport's article this change could be another step forward in our tactical evolution. The defense would basically stay the same consisting of Chiellini-Bonucci-Barzagli with Lichtsteiner playing as a classic RB, the position in which the Swiss international is the most comfortable playing in. The midfield would be reinforced and probable starters in this scenario as expected are Vidal-Pirlo-Marchisio-Pogba. Asamoah would be the first option to come off the bench for either of our midfielders.

Needles to say that I'm eagerly waiting if this really comes to fruition and Juve in the following months starts more games using this setup which brought us so much success in the past. For me just a thought of 4-3-1-2 immediately brings up memories of 2002/03 season.

1997/98:
Peruzzi
Pessoto Iulliano Ferrara Toricelli
Di Livio Deschamps Davids
Zidane
Del Piero Inzaghi

2002/03:
Buffon
Thuram Montero Ferrara Zambrotta
Camoranesi Tachinardi Davids
Nedved
Del Piero Trezeguet

2013/14:
Buffon
Licht Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini
Vidal Pirlo Marchisio
Pogba
Tevez Llorente

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
Jul 22, 2013
Yeah, it's insulting to great teams of the past when an old ultra-defensive performance is labelled catenaccio.

Anything resembling genuine catenaccio is extremely rare nowadays.

Was hoping it'd make a comeback with all these teams playing with back fives in Serie A, but they still don't seem inclined to man-mark.
Zach said Chelsea won the 11/12 CL playing catenaccio. :D

Jul 20, 2012
With the lack of offensive wide players Juventus might use 4-3-1-2 formation more regularly as an alternative to the existing one and not only in Europe like it was previously assumed. According to Tuttosport's article this change could be another step forward in our tactical evolution. The defense would basically stay the same consisting of Chiellini-Bonucci-Barzagli with Lichtsteiner playing as a classic RB, the position in which the Swiss international is the most comfortable playing in. The midfield would be reinforced and probable starters in this scenario as expected are Vidal-Pirlo-Marchisio-Pogba. Asamoah would be the first option to come off the bench for either of our midfielders. Needles to say that I'm eagerly waiting if this really comes to fruition and Juve in the following months starts more games using this setup which brought us so much success in the past. For me just a thought of 4-3-1-2 immediately brings up memories of 2002/03 season.
This is smart and I had a feeling this is how conte would play the formation. It also said Ogbonna would be the alternative to chiellini

so it would be

--------------buffon
licht-----barza------bonucci--chiellini
---pogba-----pirlo------marchisio
---------------vidal----
------tevez------------llorente

So basically we would play what we are currently playing with chiellini acting as a cb but pushing forward to around the half way line and asa would be dropped to include our best cms. I love it. I really think this is great until we can manage to get wingers

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
I think the 2002/2003 formation was more like 442 than anything else. It's not like Nedeved was more advanced than Camoranesi who was a beast on the wing too.

As for temporary solution we may play 4312 I'm ok with that. In longer term I want to see some classy wingers here though. 442/4231/433 call it as you like but what I want to see is more or less Juve from 11/12 which played beautiful and quite effective football with much intelligence and hunger. I don't care which formation we use in Italy with Conte here we can win it with any. I want to see a much better Juve in Europe and this is why we need those adjustments to become an actual 'big gun' in Europe. I think winning CL should be becoming a more important objective with each season passing. It's obvious we won't win it anytime soon but I believe this club needs to win this competition to actually make that breakthrough in every aspect (money, prestige, fan base and so on).

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
We played or better to say tried to play 4-4-2 in the very beginning of the 2001/02. It failed miserably as Davids would often push all the way to the left side, leaving basically no room for Nedved. For this reason Nedved was shifted to AM spot behind DP and Trez. There was even an interview with Lippi few years ago confirming it, while explaining difficulties he had faced in the first few months of his return in Turin. With the rest of the post I agree.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Bonucci should be our 4th choice CB in a 4 man back line. Putting Chiellini or Ogbonna to LB to keep Bonucci at CB is not smart IMO.

Rather play:

Lichtsteiner-Barzagli-Chiellini-Peluso

then put Bonucci at CB.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
You're forgetting how cack Peluso is
I don't know how cack he'd be as a LB in a 4 man line. He's a good crosser and fullbacks in a 4-3-1-2 generally are left ample room to tee up crosses without having to do much, if any dribbling, since our opposition is drawn mostly into the centre where all our attackers are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)