Tactics and Formations (12 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
A 4-4-2 should be able to dominate the flanks against a 3-5-2, due to having two players on each wing rather than leaving a single player to take a whole side by himself.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Provided you actually have decent wingers and fullbacks.
This whole debate is based on the theoretical merits of one system against another.

But, thank you for stating the bleeding obvious that the standard of players in a team will, astoundingly enough, make a difference to how good a team is.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
This whole debate is based on the theoretical merits of one system against another.

But, thank you for stating the bleeding obvious that the standard of players in a team will, astoundingly enough, make a difference to how good a team is.
:heart:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Question for the guys who know tactics. So many say that the 442 is old, out dated, etc so if that is what we are playing with this season then what will teams be looking to do against us exactly to ensure they beat us? What is the best way to take down the 442 because when I look at it and who we will field I find that is seems to be one of the most stable formations in terms of shape, especially if the players are organized. Am I wrong?
Just take a look at the past five years when we used the straight 4-4-2. :D We struggled to create chances against teams that sat back because the straight 4-4-2's we use have very little movement. So basically we'd loft the ball down field hoping for it to be held up by a striker, then we'd get it out wide and cross it in towards waiting defenders. So if you shut down the middle of the pitch, you should do well against our 4-4-2, as Red said.

The only way I'd agree to play the straight 4-4-2 is if we allow for switching of positions between the wingers. Of course, we'd also have to deploy REAL wingers who can take defenders on, but that goes without saying.

Not a big fan otherwise, as Red knows.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
The 4-4-2 will not result always in lobbing the ball to the strikers if we have good movement off the ball. We have more passing ability in our side than Ranieri's 4-4-2 did and more pace down the wings.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Just take a look at the past five years when we used the straight 4-4-2. :D We struggled to create chances against teams that sat back because the straight 4-4-2's we use have very little movement. So basically we'd loft the ball down field hoping for it to be held up by a striker, then we'd get it out wide and cross it in towards waiting defenders. So if you shut down the middle of the pitch, you should do well against our 4-4-2, as Red said.

The only way I'd agree to play the straight 4-4-2 is if we allow for switching of positions between the wingers. Of course, we'd also have to deploy REAL wingers who can take defenders on, but that goes without saying.

Not a big fan otherwise, as Red knows.
It has it's limitations.

Juve have a lot of stupid players, though, and I think stupid players are most likely to do well playing 4-4-2 (or similar).

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
So if we allow our wingers to "overlap" and create some confusion will help us? I think if Marchisio is playing he should be able to surge forward past Diego and create movement between those two.

Allow wingers to overlap from left to right during forward play, and allow our SS/CM to do the same going forward.

It's always a pain in the ass (as a former defender) to communicate with ease across your backline to switch cover during overlapping and drawing defenders away plus if you have a CM surging forward that knows what he is doing along with a tall striker and someone with a handful of tricks then things get sticky for a defense. (As we know, from conceding so many goals).

As you guys are saying we aren't necessarily the smartest of teams and one of the main reasons I am excited for Krasic (aside from my Dzeko obsession) is that he is so quick and good with the ball at his feet that inevitably he is going to pull players along with him that will try and mark him freeing space for others going forward. Going with our tall striker then his whipped in crosses should do well for Trez at least. Diego as the SS to follow up with anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)