Tactics and Formations (17 Viewers)

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
It implies that it has been decided that the first team will stick with 4-3-3, so the Primavera have changed to that too. That decision would only be made if it was going to last more than a couple of months until the season ends.

Plus, I want to annoy people.
This will be like when DN said Chiellini will play LB until the end of the season - I think that lasted for one match after this stupendous comment by DN.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
It implies that it has been decided that the first team will stick with 4-3-3, so the Primavera have changed to that too. That decision would only be made if it was going to last more than a couple of months until the season ends.

Plus, I want to annoy people.
Hmmm... You could be looking into it too much.

taem

May 1, 2011
I've always been afraid of the 4-3-3 because over the course of a lifetime I've gotten this sense that it leads to defensive collapses. Is that a totally false impression? Is it structurally no weaker defensively than a 4-4-2?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
That's completely dependent on the players in the system.

If you play 4-3-3 that becomes 4-5-1 when you don't have the ball, it can be a very solid system.

If you play a 4-4-2 with very attacking wingers, so that it is virtually a 4-2-4 formation, it can be pretty weak defensively.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I've always been afraid of the 4-3-3 because over the course of a lifetime I've gotten this sense that it leads to defensive collapses. Is that a totally false impression? Is it structurally no weaker defensively than a 4-4-2?
It depends on the players and how the manager sets them up, but structurally I find it superior to the 4-4-2 because it provides more flexibility both offensively and defensively. If you have wingers on the sides of a striker, they can always come back to defend and then break hard on the counter. The nice thing about the three in midfield is that you can clog the center of the pitch, making it difficult for teams that play through the middle.

Recently we've seen sides like Chelsea and Mourinho's Inter deploy a 4-3-3 which sometimes turns into a 4-2-3-1. The latter was extremely hard to break down and Eto'o and Pandev put in a fair amount of defensive work, so it was very successful. Barcelona uses the 4-3-3, of course. Monaco under Deschamps used the 4-3-3 and they reached the Champions League final in 2004. Back in the 90's, Juventus used the 4-3-3 up until 1996, the year we beat Ajax in the CL final. That side was fairly good defensively.

taem

May 1, 2011
I don't see Krasic as a guy that plays defense. Maybe it's just fatigue this season. But if you assume for the sake of argument Krasic does not play defense, how does that impact us playing a 4-3-3? Especially with a new RB. Not that this gets solved with a 4-4-2.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Krasic comes back to defend. You don't need to be Javier Zanetti or something. But this is more reason to use the 4-3-3... that way Krasic is further up the pitch and able to do more of what he does best.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Krasic's defensive contribution is fairly mediocre for a wide player in a 4-4-2, but that same contribution would be pretty good from a winger in a 4-3-3.

So long as the other winger in a 4-3-3 was able/willing to stand in the way of the opposition right back to make him think twice about going forward, the formation could have an okay balance.

This also depends on who you have in central midfield and how much work they do.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Yup.

So providing Krasic tracks back a bit and there are some decent fullbacks, the other winger wouldn't have to do too much work.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I think Conte would want one midfielder to join the attack regularly, not sure if he sees Pirlo as that player. I don't. He's not mobile enough and plays deeper.

So I'm still not convinced Conte will use the 4-3-3, we shall see.

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
I think Conte would want one midfielder to join the attack regularly, not sure if he sees Pirlo as that player. I don't. He's not mobile enough and plays deeper.

So I'm still not convinced Conte will use the 4-3-3, we shall see.
Matri--Quaq?
------Pastore----
Inler--Pirlo--Melo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)