Hustini
May 29, 2005
Just a thought

-----------------------------SZCZESNY-----------------------------

---------------BENATIA----BONUCCI----CHIELLINI---------------

CUADRADO----BERNARDESCHI----PJANIC-----CAN------COSTA

----------------------DYBALA-------RONALDO--------------------

Costa and Cuadrado would make excellent wing backs with Berna as the Mazzala
Would you want to switch Can with Bernie to adjust to their dominant feet?

Buy on AliExpress.com

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Potential issues this season:

1) Weakness defensively at RB.

2) Figuring out the right formation (again). Once we do, the best may leave us short of players in one area while having excess in another.

3) Getting the best out of Ronaldo and Dybala and finding the right attacking lineup/placement.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Potential issues this season:

1) Weakness defensively at RB.

2) Figuring out the right formation (again). Once we do, the best may leave us short of players in one area while having excess in another.

3) Getting the best out of Ronaldo and Dybala and finding the right attacking lineup/placement.
If I had to bet on the best formation to win big CL games, it would be a 4-5-1/4-3-3 without Dybala for maximum defensive output + Ronaldo to score goals.

Cuadrado-Ronaldo-Costa

or

Costa-Mandzukic-Ronaldo

mandatory to have 3 CMs behind them. We looked impenetrable with 4-3-3 last year. Maybe spice it up with Berna as one of the CMs but only after he proves that he can run back and be organized.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
If I had to bet on the best formation to win big CL games, it would be a 4-5-1/4-3-3 without Dybala for maximum defensive output + Ronaldo to score goals.

Cuadrado-Ronaldo-Costa

or

Costa-Mandzukic-Ronaldo

mandatory to have 3 CMs behind them. We looked impenetrable with 4-3-3 last year. Maybe spice it up with Berna as one of the CMs but only after he proves that he can run back and be organized.
Unless 4231 works really well like two seasons ago, I agree, in a 433, Allegri will drop Dybala for Mandzukic in certain knockout games.

He even benched Dybala for MM in Serie A last season.

Jul 13, 2010
Man with only 5 midfielders we can literally field any of them. I would start rotating for them to receive equal minutes when the 2 games/week starts to kick in. Basically we have bentancur/can/pjanic and khedira/can/matuidi for two spots. We will use 3 man midfield in the future that's for sure

TheLaz

Oct 6, 2011
I really like our squad numbers. It seems we have just the perfect amount of players registered with space for some youngsters even.
Over the past years we've had excessive squads with certain players fielded very seldom. The midfield is subject to injury concerns but with Berna taking on the mezzala we could still look very good even if Pjanic or someone else gets a break.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Already looks this is the best possible lineup for this season...assuming Berna will be good enough defensively:

Woj/Perin
Cancelo Bonucci Chiellini AS
Berna Pjanic Matuidi
DC Dybala CR7

Perhaps Can in more tactical/competitive games and when we need to defend in second legs.

We went from Asamoah and Licht as WBs to this level of talent on the flanks. But without Berna, in the middle, would only rely on Pjanic's and Bonucci's switches and long balls.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I honestly think the best formation both defensively and attacking is a back 3.

Thinking....

--------------------------------------------SZCZESNY-------------------------------------

-------------------------------BENATIA----BONUCCI----CHIELLINI----------------------

CANCELO/CUADRADO----BERNA/CAN----PJANIC------MATUIDI-----SANDRO/COSTA

-------------------------------DYBALA/MANDZUKIC-------RONALDO--------------------

So in the champions league your bench of 7 would be: Perin, Barzagli, Cuadrado, Can, Bentancur, Costa, Mandzukic

I think the 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 could still be used but I honestly think having a front 2 of Dybala and Ronaldo would work really well as a front 2 with our powerful wingbacks and having Bernardeschi as the Mezzala

Apr 19, 2007
I honestly think the best formation both defensively and attacking is a back 3.

Thinking....

--------------------------------------------SZCZESNY-------------------------------------

-------------------------------BENATIA----BONUCCI----CHIELLINI----------------------

CANCELO/CUADRADO----BERNA/CAN----PJANIC------MATUIDI-----SANDRO/COSTA

-------------------------------DYBALA/MANDZUKIC-------RONALDO--------------------

So in the champions league your bench of 7 would be: Perin, Barzagli, Cuadrado, Can, Bentancur, Costa, Mandzukic

I think the 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 could still be used but I honestly think having a front 2 of Dybala and Ronaldo would work really well as a front 2 with our powerful wingbacks and having Bernardeschi as the Mezzala
I just dont like Costa on the bench especially against top opponents. Its just so defensive that we could easily get pinned back against a good press and Ronaldo have no room to operate

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Anyone notice we short on attacking depth and midfield depth depending on formation?

In a 4 3 3 you need 6 cms and 6 attackers.

We have 5 cms and 6 attackers.

But in a 4 2 4 we have only 6 attackers for 4 positions. Making us short a bit. An injury to mandzukic or Costa is going to damage us over bad.

Should have kept pjaca or loaned matri or something.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
Anyone notice we short on attacking depth and midfield depth depending on formation?

In a 4 3 3 you need 6 cms and 6 attackers.

We have 5 cms and 6 attackers.

But in a 4 2 4 we have only 6 attackers for 4 positions. Making us short a bit. An injury to mandzukic or Costa is going to damage us over bad.

Should have kept pjaca or loaned matri or something.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Kean > Matri

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)