Tactics and Formations (44 Viewers)

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
I took it upon myself to rewatch the first half of Cardiff (I still can't stomach watching the second half of that game). These were our key weaknesses relative to Madrid, IMO:

1. Midfield
Khedira is not athletic and he's not technically gifted. He's a bit of a passenger in games of this quality to be honest. We were never going to win with a double pivot with Khedira and Pjanic against Kroos-Isco-Modric-Casemiro. Our best bet if we took on Madrid again would be to play a midfield trio of Matuidi, Marchisio and Pjanic. Matuidi has the grinta to compete with Casemiro, and Marchisio is much better technically than Khedira. If only he could stay fit.

2. Wide Areas
Mandzukic scored an amazing goal, but in the game overall, we lacked an outlet from the wings. Sandro was typically our biggest threat on the left, putting the most crosses into the box. Now Sandro is good going forward but he's no Marcelo. Mandzukic should be at the end of the crosses into the box instead of being the crosser. We should have Costa on the wing. Carvajal struggled with Rashford, Costa's speed and trickery would give him nightmares.

If we play Madrid again this season, how do we line-up?

Mandzukic
Costa - Dybala
Matuidi - Marchisio - Pjanic
Sandro - Chiellini - Rugani - MDS
Buffon​

would be our best bet. We can't let Real dominate the middle of the park again, and we need a speedy outlet to counterattack. At Cardiff, Real was not afraid of our counter at all. That's probably because both Mandzukic and Higuain are very static and predictable.

Nomuken

NUMB
Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
I took it upon myself to rewatch the first half of Cardiff (I still can't stomach watching the second half of that game). These were our key weaknesses relative to Madrid, IMO:

1. Midfield
Khedira is not athletic and he's not technically gifted. He's a bit of a passenger in games of this quality to be honest. We were never going to win with a double pivot with Khedira and Pjanic against Kroos-Isco-Modric-Casemiro. Our best bet if we took on Madrid again would be to play a midfield trio of Matuidi, Marchisio and Pjanic. Matuidi has the grinta to compete with Casemiro, and Marchisio is much better technically than Khedira. If only he could stay fit.

2. Wide Areas
Mandzukic scored an amazing goal, but in the game overall, we lacked an outlet from the wings. Sandro was typically our biggest threat on the left, putting the most crosses into the box. Now Sandro is good going forward but he's no Marcelo. Mandzukic should be at the end of the crosses into the box instead of being the crosser. We should have Costa on the wing. Carvajal struggled with Rashford, Costa's speed and trickery would give him nightmares.

If we play Madrid again this season, how do we line-up?

Mandzukic
Costa - Dybala
Sandro - Chiellini - Rugani - MDS
Buffon​

would be our best bet. We can't let Real dominate the middle of the park again, and we need a speedy outlet to counterattack. At Cardiff, Real was not afraid of our counter at all. That's probably because both Mandzukic and Higuain are very static and predictable.

The Christmas Tree :touched:

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Milan beat United 3-0 in 2007 with Jankulovski, Kaladze, and Oddo in defence.

If we tried the Christmas tree, it would probably look like this:

Buffon
MDS - Rugani - Chiellini - Sandro
Pjanic - Marchisio - Matuidi
Dybala - Berna
Higuain​

The focus will be around dominating the middle of the park, where Juve frequently are overrun against elite opposition in Europe.
That's hot

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
Neither Mandzukic or Cuadrado are good enough wingers at the highest level. Mandzukic is slow and predictable. Cuadrado is a headless chicken with terrible decision making. Mandzu should be our backup striker and Cuadrado a supersub. I'm sick and tired of them two starting as wingers. Our attack is pedestrian as f%#k. The entire burden falls on Dybala to make things happen.

Costa has been superior to Cuadrado whenever he's played. Berna was great in both league games that he started. They need to become our starting wingers ASAP.

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
Neither Mandzukic or Cuadrado are good enough wingers at the highest level. Mandzukic is slow and predictable. Cuadrado is a headless chicken with terrible decision making. Mandzu should be our backup striker and Cuadrado a supersub. I'm sick and tired of them two starting as wingers. Our attack is pedestrian as f%#k. The entire burden falls on Dybala to make things happen.

Costa has been superior to Cuadrado whenever he's played. Berna was great in both league games that he started. They need to become our starting wingers ASAP.
Max rather to put Mandzo in the other wing than take him out so what does it tells you? Mario would play even over Paulo and Pipa

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
Against teams who will park the bus:

Higuain
Costa - Dybala - Bernardeschi
Matuidi - Pjanic
Sandro - Chiellini - Rugani - Cuadrado​

Against teams that will take the initiative:

Costa - Higuain - Dybala
Sandro - Chiellini - Rugani - Howedes​

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Cuadrado-Rugani-Chiellini-Alex Sandro
Marchisio-Matuidi
Bernardeschi-Pjanic-Costa
Dybala​

Pjanic as #10 passing everything in behind to 3 quick attackers :tuttosport:

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Well, since you asked. :D

Buffon
Howedes-Rugani-Chiellini-Sandro
Marchisio-Pjanic-Matuidi
Dybala-Higuain-Costa​

- - - Updated - - -

Same players, either 433 or 4321
Switch Marchisio and Pjanic. Marchisio is better in the middle whereas Pjanic has problems playing there, he's better as a Mezz'ala

Jul 20, 2012
Well, since you asked. :D

Buffon
Howedes-Rugani-Chiellini-Sandro
Marchisio-Pjanic-Matuidi
Dybala-Higuain-Costa​

- - - Updated - - -

Same players, either 433 or 4321
I like, but I want Berna in there some how.

Cuadrado-Rugani-Chiellini-Alex Sandro
Marchisio-Matuidi
Bernardeschi-Pjanic-Costa
Dybala​

Pjanic as #10 passing everything in behind to 3 quick attackers :tuttosport:
Holy, lets try it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 40)