Tactics and Formations (11 Viewers)

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
The problem isn't the 4-3-something, it is Allegri's choice of players to execute it. That extra player in the final third hasn't been consistently used and often we see vidal play that role just so Allegri can fit in Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal and Pogba on the field at the same time. In addition, Allegri isn't fully committed to having a creative player in that role.

Pereyra isn't all that great, he manages to do good work but lets himself down in that final stage whether it is a poor pass or not taking a shot when he should...and if he does take that shot on goal it isn't very promising.

I think we also suffer from the 3-5-2 system where players like vidal and pogba were able to push up more in midfield as we had the trio at the back covering us. Not sure whether it is just a natural instinct from the Conte era but it does expose us against teams who are good on the counter. Scares me to think of what Dortmund could do.

For me I think Allegri just needs to appoint a starter for the extra player in that final third. Definitely not Vidal, he needs to play as he has over the years. Pereyra may offer us more if given a handful of games to start in that role and make it is own. Giovinco is gone but why not try Coman?? Or why not use Tevez and Morata alongside Llorente? Morata has pace, he can dribble, I think he has more to offer than just be cover for Llorente.

Last but not least, we suffer with Pirlo starting. Love the man, he is a legend but he needs to be told.

buffon
lich bonucci Chiellini ??
vidal Marchisio pogba
Morata Tevez
Llorente

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
4-3-1-2 is just not a great formation to me. It's too narrow. There are more players forward but at the same time they are limiting our CMs from making central runs like they used to in the 3-5-2.

A 4-3-3 or a 4-3-2-1 would be better. Of course you don't want Tevez playing on the touch line but I don't see why he can't play as an inside forward like Ronaldo used to do for so many years. Pereyra can play opposite but play wider. There would actually be room for Vidal to split the defence with his runs which is one of his best skills.

Right now Pogba and Vidal are being forced to provide the width behind our front 3. Vidal is useless there. He shouldn't have the ball very much in build-up. He should be allowed to make central forward runs. Pogba is ok outside of the box, he's much better on the ball and has a better long shot.

italiacalcio10

Mar 3, 2014
4-3-1-2 is just not a great formation to me. It's too narrow. There are more players forward but at the same time they are limiting our CMs from making central runs like they used to in the 3-5-2.

A 4-3-3 or a 4-3-2-1 would be better. Of course you don't want Tevez playing on the touch line but I don't see why he can't play as an inside forward like Ronaldo used to do for so many years. Pereyra can play opposite but play wider. There would actually be room for Vidal to split the defence with his runs which is one of his best skills.

Right now Pogba and Vidal are being forced to provide the width behind our front 3. Vidal is useless there. He shouldn't have the ball very much in build-up. He should be allowed to make central forward runs. Pogba is ok outside of the box, he's much better on the ball and has a better long shot.
You certainly need very attacking minded fullbacks to add the width.

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
I suddenly realized something and wonder, why is it that our defenders seem to be the most active on corners? all those headers and goals from chiellini and bonucci during corners?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Because they are the best at attacking high balls?

Because the corners are planned in such a way to target them?

Not exactly unusual among teams for defenders to be the main threat at corners.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
Wednesday's 6-1 workout win over Chieri at the training ground.

The 6 goals scored by Matri (2), Sturaro, Coman, Pepe & Llorente.

from the video,
saw the Matri goal, Pepe and Llorente scored from penalties..
also given the positioning of players in video I am assuming the formation looked like..
Storari
Caceres - Barzagli - Ogbonna - De Ceglie
Pepe - Sturaro - Padoin
Coman
Matri - Llorente​
I suppose that was our bench for this week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)