Tactics and Formations 09/2010 (123 Viewers)

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Nice formations there, although I don't really like using 4-3-3 and would substitute it for 4-3-2-1 (as alternative B formation) seeing it is more suitable, given the players at our disposal.

I think 4-3-1-2 and 4-2-3-1 are both good formations for us, even though they do pose some evident issues. The problem with the 4-3-1-2 is that we will get no width as our current batch of FB's are largely incompetent going forward; whereas, if we deploy a 4-2-3-1, the added width with the introduction of Gio and Camo will also imply the under utilization of our ferasome strike force, as only one of Trez, Amauri, Iaquinta, or Del Piero can start in that set-up (most likely Amauri or Trez, which means benching Del Piero and banishing Iaquinta to the stands).
Very good points. The best way to use our material and keep a balance of what we had was the 4-3-1-2, with Melo on board and Poulsen+CZ still here,
the 4-2-3-1 seems to be more logical now.
Bearing in mind that would be more popular and impressive to watch (due to the simultaneus use of Diego and Giovinco and the extra creativity, that would make some sense. It would also mask the problem of incompetent fullbaks.

But, i am worried about our 3 offensive midfielders back ups. If Giovinco is not used to sub Diego, then who will when he wont be available?
Who will sub Giovinco, DP has not the pace anymore, to play that wide.
Marchionni cannot sub Camo either.
The Giovinco Diego Camo midfield looks great, they need no support from the fullbacks and with Sissoko/CZ-Melo./Marchisio behind them, they wont have to worry about anything else, but creating chances.
But we dont have decent replacements for that!
And as you have pointed out, once we kept Treze, in will be a hell of a waste of forwards.

Hopefully this year, we will take an optimal advantage/use of this extraordinary offensive line! Some tough choices for Ferrara there!
The safest bet is to choose one but always have a back up plan, see how our team shapes up during the season and have the versatility to make adjustments,
depending on form and injuries/suspension.

This team had great potential, to bad our defense is still crippled...

The parameters we have to work with, are;
-We need to use at least 2-3 forwards at all times (due to their abundance)
-We need to use at least 2-3 DMs at all times (due to their abundance)
-We need to use a formation that doesnt include wingers and also is not depended on the support of competent fullbacks!
And without great sacrifices on width.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
Very good points. The best way to use our material and keep a balance of what we had was the 4-3-1-2, with Melo on board and Poulsen+CZ still here,
the 4-2-3-1 seems to be more logical now.
Bearing in mind that would be more popular and impressive to watch (due to the simultaneus use of Diego and Giovinco and the extra creativity, that would make some sense. It would also mask the problem of incompetent fullbaks.

But, i am worried about our 3 offensive midfielders back ups. If Giovinco is not used to sub Diego, then who will when he wont be available?
Who will sub Giovinco, DP has not the pace anymore, to play that wide.
Marchionni cannot sub Camo either.
The Giovinco Diego Camo midfield looks great, they need no support from the fullbacks and with Sissoko/CZ-Melo./Marchisio behind them, they wont have to worry about anything else, but creating chances.
But we dont have decent replacements for that!
And as you have pointed out, once we kept Treze, in will be a hell of a waste of forwards.

Hopefully this year, we will take an optimal advantage/use of this extraordinary offensive line! Some tough choices for Ferrara there!
The safest bet is to choose one but always have a back up plan, see how our team shapes up during the season and have the versatility to make adjustments,
depending on form and injuries/suspension.

This team had great potential, to bad our defense is still crippled...

The parameters we have to work with, are;
-We need to use at least 2-3 forwards at all times (due to their abundance)
-We need to use at least 2-3 DMs at all times (due to their abundance)
-We need to use a formation that doesnt include wingers and also is not depended on the support of competent fullbacks!
And without great sacrifices on width.
i disagree...IMO a 4-3-1-2 formation will be the perfect 1st choice formation while the 4-3-2-1 will be a sub-formation in case of injuries...as i beleive both melo and diego as well as marchisio will do the best of chances and all we need are two strikers with great potential with a creative one between them(Amauri or d.p or even giovinco)..:tup:

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
The 4-3-1-2 would mean:
-No Giovicno and Marchisio in our first eleven!
-No width in midfield and wide tactical choices, that would help us form a multi dimensional front.
-Total rape by opposition winger both offensively and defensively, due to the critical lapses our team has there, because of our incompetent fullbacks!

I wouldnt call the 4-3-1-2 as the perfect solution right now, although i was one of the first who kept insisting for this formation, even before Ferrara announced it...
But it seems that we have to make some sacrifices anyway and this might be the lesser necessary evil...

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
Marchisio fits perfectly man!! he'll be the link between the strong MD(Sissoko and Melo) and the genius maestro Diego...and Giovinco could play as super sub or just as a sub to fill the place of the 2nd striker or the playmaker..

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I don't think we are going to play 4-2-3-1, and if we are going to play 4-2-3-1 with Del Piero and Iaquinta supprting Diego behind a lone striker, then we might as well scrap the system, because Del Piero doesn't possess the pace nor the necessary qualities to play in that role, and Iaquinta is not a winger either.

4-2-3-1 as a plan B is the perfect foil for the 4-3-1-2 system. We can wear down and tire the opposition by bringing on Camo and Gio for the last 20 minutes; in other matches it can become our default formation. I really think Iago should be given some playing time this year as well. He could prove to be a pleasant surprise.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
I don't think we are going to play 4-2-3-1, and if we are going to play 4-2-3-1 with Del Piero and Iaquinta supprting Diego behind a lone striker, then we might as well scrap the system, because Del Piero doesn't possess the pace nor the necessary qualities to play in that role, and Iaquinta is not a winger either.

4-2-3-1 as a plan B is the perfect foil for the 4-3-1-2 system. We can wear down and tire the opposition by bringing on Camo and Gio for the last 20 minutes; in other matches it can become our default formation. I really think Iago should be given some playing time this year as well. He could prove to be a pleasant surprise.
Who said Del Piero and Iaquinta will play on the wings? The obvious choice would be Camo and Giovinco. Maybe Ciro is thinking ahead and is planning a future for Juventus with Diego and Giovinco?

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006

I agree...i think Iago have the potetial to be our Fabregas :agree: ....and what a pleasant suprise it will make :ultra:

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
I think camo and gio are clearly the best players for wide forwards/wingers, but seeing that we don't have a lot of depth in that position, we probably won't be seeing it too often, perhaps only at home against weak teams? by that position i mean:
camo---diego---gio
--amauri/whoever

certainly it seems that by getting rid of marchionni and with Nedved retiring, Ferrara is aiming for a formation sans wingers, and i don't think either Del Piero or IQ can play in a wide role effectively. so assuming we have two forwards and diego in the hole, that give us a lot of options, as DP, Gio, and Diego can play in the hole, and IQ, Trez, Amauri, DP, and Gio can all play as forwards. looks like we'll have a lot of competition for places...

tpain

Apr 8, 2008
lol ok this gona look a bit silly. I know everyone hopes to see Del piero in the starting 11 and it will be tough to fight for a starting striker if we play only one striker.. BUT since everyone wanna see diego, and also still have giovinco playing often. i suggest this STRANGE tactic lol

----------treze/amau----delpiero/iaq
------------giovinco-----------diego
--------momo/marchi------melo(hopefully)
Deceglie---chiel----------canna--------------grygera/zebina

game plan:
giovinco and diego may have to run onto the wings sometimes, while melo move forward when attack, momo stay back to break opponents legs.
Deceglie and grygera will be our main hope for the wing attacks.

ok this really sound silly for the squad we have now because to depend on ANY of our fullbacks(esp grygera) to put in good crosses is totally unwise.

this may work only if secco decided to buy new fullbacks

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
i agree that any formation in which we rely on our current wingbacks will be a disaster unless we bring in more players, which doesn't look like happening. That said, I do think (hope?) that Ferrara will have something worked out whether or not we bring in reinforcements or not.

tpain

Apr 8, 2008
o and i am a grygera hater.....seriously while watching the matches last season, everytime he tries to cross the ball, it is often off target or completely going into the stands......it is really a heartache watching him crossing.

tpain

Apr 8, 2008
i agree that any formation in which we rely on our current wingbacks will be a disaster unless we bring in more players, which doesn't look like happening. That said, I do think (hope?) that Ferrara will have something worked out whether or not we bring in reinforcements or not.
so far they have tried out 4-2-3-1 in their training...

tpain

Apr 8, 2008
4-2-3-1

Buffon
Zebina Cannavaro Chiellini De Ceglie
Sissoko Melo/Marchisio
Camoranesi Diego Del Piero/Giovinco
Trezeguet/Amauri
yea..dis will b probably what we will be seeing...but camo n del piero is abit too slow to play attacking wingers...hopefully they rely on giovinco more

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
while I like that, are you sure about DP wide left? doesn't seem like a great position for him. not surprising that they've tried it in training though, as it definitely is a useful formation

Mar 28, 2007
while I like that, are you sure about DP wide left? doesn't seem like a great position for him. not surprising that they've tried it in training though, as it definitely is a useful formation
i remember-ed lippi tried dp playing left side during WC2006.. italy adopted 4-2-3-1 formation as well

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
it's a good formation, I like it a lot, I just think that with only two real wingers on the team (gio and camo) and a bunch of very good forwards, most of whom can not play out wide, it probably won't be our first choice formation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 121)