Syrian civil war (17 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
All I know is that is your theory of it.

Personally I believe the Syrians wanted him gone, although to be completely honest it's a bit hard to say if the majority wanted him gone or not, as I know quite a sizable number of Syrians who were pro Assad too, I still think more wanted him gone than not. Though obviously nobody can claim anything but anecdotal evidence either way.

Also, even if the majority wanted him gone, it's arguable whether they'd really be able to topple him or not. I'd say it's much clearer in Libya that the majority wanted Geddaffi gone, the Eastern cities in Libya took out all Gedaffi presence within days, but a couple of weeks later he was this close to retaining all of it back if it weren't for NATO intervention in the last minute. What I mean to say, is a powerful minority can still rule with an iron fist, it doesn't always matter if the majority are against them.
theres a difference between wanted him gone(magically) and wanted him gone with the full assumption of its cost, practically i have no doubt the vast majority was for the regime to stay as opposed to the revolution the only voices i heard for the revolution were other arabs' or syrians living abroad.

Come on, this is horribly biased. International recognition means BS, especially if half the states around the world officiall denounced him. Also, CIA staged revolution :howler:

The two are fundamentally different in their motivation, ISIS being religious fundamentalists, Assad primarily being in it for his own gain/drive to power as it seems to me. Their methods & the harm they're causing right now are surprisingly similar.

You know that things don't work like that :D Countless regimes have survived for decades in human history despite the majority actually being against them. The only thing you could argue for is that the majority didn't want him gone badly enough to risk their lives over it.
we are :howler: facts now? is it legitimate? yes, is it internationally recognized? yes, so tell me who gets to decide if that legitimacy is not legitimate enough? also beyond doubt this is CIA coup i will provide material on that later on today if you are interested.

Regimes can survive liek that in times of peace through repression, but if revolution and chaos ensues there is no way a regime survives if it doesnt have support of the majority.

- - - Updated - - -

So is everything you're saying. It's all your personal biased opinion.
i have no dog in this fight

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
we are :howler: facts now? is it legitimate? yes, is it internationally recognized? yes, so tell me who gets to decide if that legitimacy is not legitimate enough? also beyond doubt this is CIA coup i will provide material on that later on today if you are interested.

Regimes can survive liek that in times of peace through repression, but if revolution and chaos ensues there is no way a regime survives if it doesnt have support of the majority.
That is so wrong.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
RAMI¹⁰;5110164 said:
Surely not, I was talking about the democracy as a concept. it doesn'T exist for me.

And for your info, the majority of Syrians are pro-Bashar :D

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly.

But that doesn't mean anything, democracy doesn't exist. It's like X said, there is not one kind. In all cases, this is all semantics and technicalities, the main idea is Syria is one of the most autocratic countries(along with my country Libya, so you don't feel alone :D) in the world, not only are political freedoms extremely limited, but so is economic freedom; on both counts Syria and Libya are one of the worst in the region.

I disagree that the majority are pro Bashar, but in all cases that is a completely pointless argument, because at best both of us couldn't give anything more than anecdotal evidence based on personal experience.

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
But that doesn't mean anything, democracy doesn't exist. It's like X said, there is not one kind. In all cases, this is all semantics and technicalities, the main idea is Syria is one of the most autocratic countries(along with my country Libya, so you don't feel alone :D) in the world, not only are political freedoms extremely limited, but so is economic freedom; on both counts Syria and Libya are one of the worst in the region.

I disagree that the majority are pro Bashar, but in all cases that is a completely pointless argument, because at best both of us couldn't give anything more than anecdotal evidence based on personal experience.
I based that on my continious contact with people there.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
theres a difference between wanted him gone(magically) and wanted him gone with the full assumption of its cost, practically i have no doubt the vast majority was for the regime to stay as opposed to the revolution the only voices i heard for the revolution were other arabs' or syrians living abroad.

- - - Updated - - -

i have no dog in this fight
After seeing the repercussions, I would say its very possible that the majority would have wished it didn't happen at all. The same could be said of Libya to be honest, a lot of people who were against Geddaffi, were very disappointed with the outcome, as other dictators have taken on the mantle and add some extremist groups in the mix and we have a bigger mess than ever before. But at the time of the revolution, I personally believe that the majority were probably against Bashar.

As for you not having a dog in this fight, that applies to almost everyone here but the Syrians.

- - - Updated - - -

RAMI¹⁰;5110172 said:
I based that on my continious contact with people there.
And I base mine on the Syrians(that I personally know) here personal contact with people there :D

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
No he's not because he's not as smart, in-fact he's probably the dumbest politician in the zone.

Majority of the Syrians? That's funny, considering how the votes are played. If it's not 99.99% it's 97.81%. Saddam used to get over 98% as-well and I'm sure Shi'aa in Iraq had no other option. Same goes with Gaddafi and etc.

I Refuse to believe that apart from Bashar's sects (Alawi's) no one will vote for him, not even the Christians (only those who profit from the royal family).

I can name you the cities also that went out in the streets when it was still peaceful demonstrations/revolution.
Were you not in Beirut two years ago when they all went to the embassy to vote Rab ? The amount of support he had from people who had left Syria to come to Lebanon was staggering. I'm not saying all of them would vote for Bashar if they had a chance but given the alternatives, they seemed pretty eager to go to the streets in Beirut just to vote for him and not the alternative.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Were you not in Beirut two years ago when they all went to the embassy to vote Rab ? The amount of support he had from people who had left Syria to come to Lebanon was staggering. I'm not saying all of them would vote for Bashar if they had a chance but given the alternatives, they seemed pretty eager to go to the streets in Beirut just to vote for him and not the alternative.
C'mon man, you know how this is staged and directed. The Syrian refugees in Lebanon went to vote mostly to clean their records, get paid or have a back-up, I was there and I saw that.

Lets do simple math:

Sunni's in Syria make 75% (We all know if Sunni's were to vote freely not a single vote would go to Bashar)
Alawites makes 13% (They would obviously vote for the regime considering Bashar is from their sect)
Druz and Christians are the rest (They are split, some are anti regime others are pro)

I highly doubt if the votes were fair, clean and most importantly free Bashar would even make 20-30%.

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
Come on, this is horribly biased. International recognition means BS, especially if half the states around the world officiall denounced him. Also, CIA staged revolution :howler:

The two are fundamentally different in their motivation, ISIS being religious fundamentalists, Assad primarily being in it for his own gain/drive to power as it seems to me. Their methods & the harm they're causing right now are surprisingly similar.

You know that things don't work like that :D Countless regimes have survived for decades in human history despite the majority actually being against them. The only thing you could argue for is that the majority didn't want him gone badly enough to risk their lives over it.
Don't believe that CIA stages revolutions in countries where they don't like the government? Check out USA's history, check out 1954 Guatemalan coup d'état, check out bays of pig invasion, check out the 1953 Iranian coup d'état.

The US funded ISIS with weapons in Lybia to take out one dictator they didn't like, then they moved to Syria.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Don't believe that CIA stages revolutions in countries where they don't like the government? Check out USA's history, check out 1954 Guatemalan coup d'état, check out bays of pig invasion, check out the 1953 Iranian coup d'état.

The US funded ISIS with weapons in Lybia to take out one dictator they didn't like, then they moved to Syria.
The same CIA that stages revolutions are the same that helped them dictators to be where they were or at now. What's the point?

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
Lets do simple math:

Sunni's in Syria make 75% (We all know if Sunni's were to vote freely not a single vote would go to Bashar)
Alawites makes 13% (They would obviously vote for the regime considering Bashar is from their sect)
Druz and Christians are the rest (They are split, some are anti regime others are pro)

I highly doubt if the votes were fair, clean and most importantly free Bashar would even make 20-30%.
This is a fact. If people use many sources of information and compare them to their knowledge then this conversation will be over long ago.

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
The same CIA that stages revolutions are the same that helped them dictators to be where they were or at now. What's the point?
The dictators bite the hand that feeds them. Saddam was a US puppet, they supported him in his war against Iran, he turned and look what happened to him.

They more or less funded Al Qaeda, they turned on them so the US tried to destroy every piece of them.

It's simple. It's geopolitical strategy. They use these dictators or extremists for proxy war purposes. When they are done with these dictators, they have outlived their usefulness, or they turn on uncle Sam, the US start publicizing every shit thing they have done, although it was all kept under the rug when they were allies.

When the public sees what these nasty extremists are doing, they beg the government to take action. So they do. They spend a lot of money on military, spy on their citizens, sign laws like the patriot act etc.

God, I hope I don't get the police on my door after this post.

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
C'mon man, you know how this is staged and directed. The Syrian refugees in Lebanon went to vote mostly to clean their records, get paid or have a back-up, I was there and I saw that.

Lets do simple math:

No doubt the votes weren't fair but I don't know what you mean by staged and directed ? A few of my relatives who escaped had gone and voted that day but there was no talk of it being staged and directed.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #2,800
    if the majority wanted him gone hed be gone, you do know the people who started this were trained and armed abroad?
    Yes, it took them too much time and money to train and arm millions in each city

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)