Syrian civil war (8 Viewers)

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
I have got to say though, they've surprised me with this move. Even though it doesn't fit their narrative of being "7okomat momana3a", they actually swallowed their pride and made a cowardly move that might save them or at least buy them more time. Unlike other Arab governments who would have beat their chest and stayed stubborn, the criminal Syrian regime turned out to be a lot more pragmatic.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 13, 2007
Essentially, Syria's decision to give up its chemical weapons was made for them by Russia. The latter is trying to look for a way to avoid a US attack on Syria because it could explode into something that will bring down the regime. Bashar doesn't really have a say in the matter. If he wants to survive; this is his best bet. They can defeat the rebels without using chemical weapons. It's not a savvy decision or a surprising one.

The interesting thing to watch for now is how the US - Russia relations will develop in the next few weeks.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #2,344
    I have got to say though, they've surprised me with this move. Even though it doesn't fit their narrative of being "7okomat momana3a", they actually swallowed their pride and made a cowardly move that might save them or at least buy them more time. Unlike other Arab governments who would have beat their chest and stayed stubborn, the criminal Syrian regime turned out to be a lot more pragmatic.
    It is not their idea. Russia told them to do so definitely.

Exactly

Funny, you could say that about 99% of all Arab governments.
    For sure :)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Guys I know Russia pressured them on doing this, but the fact that they accepted to do that, even though it does not fit their narrative of being an anti imperialist, anti western regime. If this was the former Libyan government, they probably would not have acted the same way.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Guys I know Russia pressured them on doing this, but the fact that they accepted to do that, even though it does not fit their narrative of being an anti imperialist, anti western regime. If this was the former Libyan government, they probably would not have acted the same way.
    Are you serious? What other options they had?

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #2,349
    They have always been fake. They are anti-west on the media, but on the ground, they are so close friends...

Jul 2, 2006
    They taught him well in his time in Western Eye Hospital. He wasn't just studying surgery it seems.

I am all with Syrian opposition: Turkish PM Erdoğan

Responding to criticisms that the government was taking a warmongering stance on Syria, the prime minister lashed out at the CHP. “Where were you when 110,000 people were killed in Syria? Where were you at when 7 million people were displaced? Historical artifacts, mosques, sanctuaries, tombs have been destroyed, where were you? Kids, women, mothers, fathers have been massacred, where were you?” Erdoğan asked emotionally.

“The ones who did not speak against one of the biggest tragedies of humanity, and even slapping al-Assad’s back, now accuse us of warmongering, without shame. The main opposition sides with the regime and we stand by the opposition, the oppressed and suffering. This is our difference,” Erdoğan told a meeting of the All Industrialist and Businessmen Association (TÜMSİAD) yesterday in Istanbul.

'Death is death’

The prime minister said the number of deaths in the war-torn country had reached 110,000. “Death is death. It is not important which weapon – chemical or not – was used. We should put all the weapons used in Syria in the same category. The Syrian regime should pay the cost of these atrocities to humanity,” Erdoğan said, adding that the open door policy of Turkey would continue.

The prime minister also said he doubted whether President Bashar al-Assad would fulfill his pledge to put Syria’s chemical weapons under international control, accusing him of buying time for new “massacres.”

“The al-Assad regime has not lived up to any of its pledges, it has won time for new massacres and continues to do so,” Erdoğan said. “We are doubtful whether the promises regarding chemical weapons will be met.”

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç also voiced his skepticism. “Unfortunately U.S. Secretary of State Kerry’s remarks on surrendering chemical weapons removed the possibility of an intervention,” Arınç told private broadcaster NTV.

“We are not banging the drums of war. But something had to be done against a tyrannical administration that is responsible for the deaths of more than 100,000 people, that has used ballistic missiles and now chemical weapons,” he said. “Kerry’s remarks served Russia and al-Assad. The United States couldn’t back out of it, and to me, it was a big gaffe.”

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/i-...ogan-.aspx?pageID=238&nID=54319&NewsCatID=338

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    Syria is closer to being a Russian satellite than Libya ever was though.

Funny thing is Assad was always going to win the war without foreign intervention. The only positive being the removal of islamists.

Jul 2, 2006
    Turk, when he says that, he means the extremists, not muslims in general. It's a matter of wording, albeit perhaps a wrong one.
    Extremist thing started to be boring, in my country, in somewhere else. Syrian Opposition are extremists because started an uprising after their request of honest elections answered with deaths of hundreds? Everbody who say Allah is an extremist for many. What the hell is Assad then? He is ok because he is secular and whom he killed are Muslim so they don't count.

Wishing to live under Sharia is not a crime btw. If crushing majority want it, it will happen. Who are they to tell how should Muslims live? As if they are not living under another belief unknowingly. Muslims, like liberals, commies and nationalists, have right to be organized in political area and make demands. To hell with double standarts. They are only against Islam because it will end their 200 years old colonial rule in the region.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    It is a revolution whether the world wants to admit it or not...

ii doubt it is,it might have started out as one, but its no longer a revolution!! its a bunch of mercenaries financed by the cancer that is Qatar, saudi, turkey, and the US.

i highly recommend you watch abed, the man gives evidence to his opinions.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #2,360
    ii doubt it is,it might have started out as one, but its no longer a revolution!! its a bunch of mercenaries financed by the cancer that is Qatar, saudi, turkey, and the US.

i highly recommend you watch abed, the man gives evidence to his opinions.
    Your opinion was just changed alot because of the local situation in Egypt, Ahmad. That does not change the facts on ground there, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)