Summer Mercato Thread 2020-21 (33 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

singus

Sep 22, 2020
To be a top wingback for us, Berna needs to learn how to:
- mark/tackle
- guard the backpost including headers
- learn our defensive movements and offside trap
- adjust from having 20-30 passes per game to 70-90
- learn not to loose the ball in dangerous areas and playing it safe

What are his strengths to compensate for all these new responsibilities, which would make it worth it?

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
To be a top wingback for us, Berna needs to learn how to:
- mark/tackle
- guard the backpost including headers
- learn our defensive movements and offside trap
- adjust from having 20-30 passes per game to 70-90
- learn not to loose the ball in dangerous areas and playing it safe

What are his strengths to compensate for all these new responsibilities, which would make it worth it?
Not really, if he plays the offensive wing back. I could see us benching Danilo and having defence of:
LWB: Berna RWB:Cuads
LCB: Sandro CB:Bonucci RCB: Demiral
and while in defensive phase it turns to 4 man defence:
LB: Sandro CB: Bonucci RCB: Demiral RB: Cuads
in this case Berna stays as LM, he can do it with out a problem.
people forget that Pirlo system is not Contes - we wont be playing with 5 at the back - we will play 3 at back in attack and 4 at the back in defense.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
do you really wanna doubt Pirlo? There were players last week that balled out that were a lot worse than Bernardeschi cough Danilo cough.
do you really wanna base any judgements on one single game, vs one of the worst teams in the league? i get the excitement, i'm more optimistic myself than i was at any stage of last season with maurice in charge, but let's not fool ourselves. danilo isn't suddenly the new cafu and pirlo won't turn berna into anything extraordinary. i'd be happy if berna could play 15 full games without compromising the result, and add 5g5a across all competitions.

singus

Sep 22, 2020
Not really, if he plays the offensive wing back. I could see us benching Danilo and having defence of:
LWB: Berna RWB:Cuads
LCB: Sandro CB:Bonucci RCB: Demiral
and while in defensive phase it turns to 4 man defence:
LB: Sandro CB: Bonucci RCB: Demiral RB: Cuads
in this case Berna stays as LM, he can do it with out a problem.
people forget that Pirlo system is not Contes - we wont be playing with 5 at the back - we will play 3 at back in attack and 4 at the back in defense.
If this is the way Pirlo strictly wants to play, then why are we putting useless Berna as our important winger, and not just two of Kulusevski, Frabotta, Sandro, Cuadrado or even Danilo or Ramsey. Again, what are his strengths, what are we gaining here. If the LWB will actually be a LM, then sure, Berna could fill a gap there occasionally, but we have players who are much better, to do that right now. Its not like 26yo Berna has a higher ceiling than all of Sandro, Kulu, Frabotta, Ramsey, Danilo

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
If this is the way Pirlo strictly wants to play, then why are we putting useless Berna as our important winger, and not just two of Kulusevski, Frabotta, Sandro, Cuadrado or even Danilo or Ramsey. Again, what are his strengths, what are we gaining here. If the LWB will actually be a LM, then sure, Berna could fill a gap there occasionally, but we have players who are much better, to do that right now. Its not like 26yo Berna has a higher ceiling than all of Sandro, Kulu, Frabotta, Ramsey, Danilo
He will rotation player, not saying he will start. I expect much more rotation this year, also thanks to 5 changes possible and good backup options will be more important than ever.
We have few players who can play both offensive wing backs and in attack - Berna, Kulu, maybe Cuads and possibly Chiesa, could see this work very well and confuse opponents if they could exchange their positions during the game.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
do you really wanna base any judgements on one single game, vs one of the worst teams in the league? i get the excitement, i'm more optimistic myself than i was at any stage of last season with maurice in charge, but let's not fool ourselves. danilo isn't suddenly the new cafu and pirlo won't turn berna into anything extraordinary. i'd be happy if berna could play 15 full games without compromising the result, and add 5g5a across all competitions.
And why would that be unrealistic? I mean, even if he ends up with one goal and three assists, it's decent enough already for a wingback who failed as a winger in the final third.

All we do is guessing here anyway and my guess is Pirlo won't play Berna in the attacking third. Sure, he can't play a leftback, he's not good enough for that either but to me he's something in between: LM in 442 (played that for Allegri) or LWB in 352 (played that for Viola I think).
To summarize Berna you can call him a wind-maker or water carrier or whatever. Kind of resembles Cuadrado from a couple of seasons ago before he improved his defending. Frustrating winger with some nice skills that are useful when attacking from deeper positions, because those 'skills' rely on speed a lot.

Will Berna be able to play it and improve in areas where it's needed? Fuck knows but he better shows availability to Pirlo when asked upon to do so. We're stuck with him and he makes no pennies. Actually the coach and system change could benefit him a lot because we already know he's no RWF.

endemion

Oct 2, 2007
we need him to get impressive performance, ASAP, at least until December. So we could sell him in January ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 33)