Summer Mercato Thread 2018 (28 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuveCR7

Fino Alla Fine
Jul 11, 2018
Yup. Said it before the Ronaldo transfer. Even with him in the team it doesn't mean we already won CL, like some people think.
But it sure makes us one of the favorites for the CL, not that I like this status. I never like when people / media put some 'favorite' status in matches, sometimes it could get in the head of the players and then they perform bad versus 'under-dogs'. Its easier to be underdog, if you fail, no one will blame you, hence no one expected anything of you anyway .. but if you succeed, you become loved by many.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
We were contenders for a few years now so I guess you meant CL favorite and not contender
No, i meant contenders, i ve always thought we can go as far as facing Ronaldo and Messi.
And our journeys to the final were because we overperformed and are thirsty for that cup.
Now we got an old difference maker, but our defense is weaker without Buffon and starter Barzagli.
So overall i rate us more or less the same.
Godin would ciment the defense and put us in a much stronger position. Because we would be as good as before in the back and even better upfront.
But again lies the midfield issue, esp a player with some creative and offensive capabilities. Adding such a player on the top of Godin would give us the edge over most of the teams.
I don't know if we have the budget to complete the work this year, but next year we will be there!

Jul 13, 2010
I don't understand why everyone wants Godin. Sure he is probably better than most of our defenders, and a strong leader, but we never had issues with defence. Why fix what isnt broken? MAYBE one thing to bring him here is that we need a strong voice at the back, since bonbon left and now Gigi also, there is maybe lack of authority there when constructing defence against set pieces, but other than that Godin will not get any betterw and Caldara will, I think actually Caldara is a stronger both physically and mentaly than Rugani lets say, future captain material.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Because more than once Buffon was a decisive difference maker and Barzagli and Chiellini is a year older, esp for Barzagli it's a critical year.
Benatia obviously is not on the same level, esp as far as semis CL are concerned.
Caldara may become a beast in a future, but after Cristiano and co retire, if we want results here and now, we must solidify our defense, play hard and let Ronnie work his magic

JuveCR7

Fino Alla Fine
Jul 11, 2018
I also did not expect you guys think we need better defense - isn't Chiellini a great defensive player? Maybe he is getting in age.. in that case I would consider perhaps: Varane, Godin in that place.

If there are needs in midfield, we should consider Kovacic, I think his warrior spirit would match well with Juve!

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I don't understand why everyone wants Godin. Sure he is probably better than most of our defenders, and a strong leader, but we never had issues with defence. Why fix what isnt broken? MAYBE one thing to bring him here is that we need a strong voice at the back, since bonbon left and now Gigi also, there is maybe lack of authority there when constructing defence against set pieces, but other than that Godin will not get any betterw and Caldara will, I think actually Caldara is a stronger both physically and mentaly than Rugani lets say, future captain material.
We had plenty of issues defensively in this year's CL.

Luftwaffles

Il terzo uomo
Dec 1, 2005
The big question of this summer is what happens to Higuain and Sandro. Do we need both of them to cover Ronaldo or do we use some of that to strengthen another area.
Correct.we need Pogba back.

A Pogba/A Sandro swap has legs. Mourinho is said to admire the fellow Portuguese and has REAL issues with Pogba.

If this €60m buyback clause is genuine, it is a no brainer to negotiate with the MU board.

dyl1dyl

May 9, 2012
Let's sign Kante.
Kante and Godin make us favourites IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

i agree, if can only afford one, we need a CM more than a CB.

Xorim

Aug 31, 2015
Well, Godin is a beast. Him paired with Chiellini in the starting 11 would improve our defense. We wouldn't need him as a strong voice, we got Giorgio for that.

At the prices that were floating around, he'd be a perfect fit, if we were about to sell Benatia and Rugani.

Agree on Caldara, he needs to be rotaded in slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)