Summer Mercato Thread 2018 (121 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
some has got to make way for Croatian CR7

but seriously, Nedved96 somehow manages to outdo himself every day. Probably a DA, nobody is (unintentionally) so oblivious about absolutely everything like he is.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I feel like our biggest problem to sort, and it has been for multiple windows now, is the issue of Dybala and our formation.

Are we building around him and what position is he best suited for? Because Higuain/Dybala doesn't work and Max was already drifting away from it before the injury. I can't believe Max would choose 4-2-3-1 over 4-3-3 so either Dybala has to play #9 or Higuain has to play #9.

But we have to sort this all out first. Because the formation also affects the CMs. Remember how Marotta passed on Tolisso because he said we are playing with 2 holding midfielders? Ya... turns out we're not.

So Marotta needs to figure out what the focal point of the team is and go from there because buying random players and dumping them on Max won't work forever. And everyone knows I fap to Beppe.

All the data we have right now suggests Allegri + 4-3-3 = impenetrable defence. I know defending is taboo but when it is at such a high level, it is worth exploring as a positive.
I think it's the same like Griezmann who isn't an AMC, #9 nor a winger. He's a SS and the same goes for Dybala. Want to get the best out of him? Play him with 2 upfront!

I personally think we should give a flat 442 a la Atletico a chance and for the balance playing Matuidi almost like a LW/LMC to restore the balance

Gigi
Bellerin Benatia Chiellini Spinazzola
Douglas Costa Pjanic Can Matuidi
Higuain Dybala​

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I think it's the same like Griezmann who isn't an AMC, #9 nor a winger. He's a SS and the same goes for Dybala. Want to get the best out of him? Play him with 2 upfront!

I personally think we should give a flat 442 a la Atletico a chance and for the balance playing Matuidi almost like a LW/LMC to restore the balance

Gigi
Bellerin Benatia Chiellini Spinazzola
Douglas Costa Pjanic Can Matuidi
Higuain Dybala​
We literally have been playing a flat 4-4-2 every time Higuain and Dybala are on the field together. It is exactly like Atletico's defensive setup.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
We literally have been playing a flat 4-4-2 every time Higuain and Dybala are on the field together. It is exactly like Atletico's defensive setup.
Yeah but we've playing it with 2 wingers or 1 winger and Mandzukic. Maybe playing a CM on the wing a la Atletico would bring more defensive coverage because at this point, 433 means no Dybala. We'll have a very lobsided 442 then

-------------------------------------------------------------LB
-------------------Pjanic--------------------------
-------Can-------------------------Matuidi
Cuadrado
------------Dybala
----------------------Higuain

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I don't understand why Dybala can't play RW in a 4-3-3? Cause he won't put in the tracking back effort that our other wingers will...I suppose it is a trade off but I wouldn't think we should have to be so reliant on our wingers to put in the defensive shift they did under 4-2-3-1 with that extra center midfielder.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Yeah but we've playing it with 2 wingers or 1 winger and Mandzukic. Maybe playing a CM on the wing a la Atletico would bring more defensive coverage because at this point, 433 means no Dybala
You can put 4 CMs across the midfield, but it will always be harder to defend with 4 midfielders instead of 5.

When you play 4-4-2 you are either asking the strikers to put in a shift defensively, like Atletico a few years ago using Raul Garcia there, or you are banking on your striker partnership to bang a fuck ton of goals to justify only putting 8 men behind the ball. But so far together, Dybala/Higuain don't really justify it.

You can't put Matuidi on the wing and expect that to work IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand why Dybala can't play RW in a 4-3-3? Cause he won't put in the tracking back effort that our other wingers will...I suppose it is a trade off but I wouldn't think we should have to be so reliant on our wingers to put in the defensive shift they did under 4-2-3-1 with that extra center midfielder.
Well the way Allegri sets up the 4-5-1, it's insanely strict defensively. Which is why it's so effective really. The wingers have to cover a certain space so the CMs can press the other teams in central areas.

If they have to constantly cover for the RW then their pressing is compromised, and they have to start rotating a lot. Allegri goes supersaiyan when any flank player is displaced, which is the #1 reason Khedira always plays. Since he is always there to cover.

But I think Allegri's main thought with Dybala is to get him receiving balls outside the box, in between the lines, for long distance shooting opportunities. He's said this before that he prefers Dybala with the ball outside the box.

The honest truth is we have no idea if Dybala can play RW or #9 because we've never seen it tried. And if we never try it we'll never know what possibilities we could pursue in the mercato.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Allegri should try it because he clearly isn't going to bench Higuain to hand over the CF position to Dybala, Dybala is certainly not working out as planned at CAM and it seems pretty unlikely that Allegri is ever going to play a two striker formation so what options are we left with?

Unless we plan to sell one of them off this summer, there has got to be a long term solution so either go back to 4-2-3-1 and hope that Dybala grows into it or try him out wide.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Allegri should try it because he clearly isn't going to bench Higuain to hand over the CF position to Dybala, Dybala is certainly not working out as planned at CAM and it seems pretty unlikely that Allegri is ever going to play a two striker formation so what options are we left with?

Unless we plan to sell one of them off this summer, there has got to be a long term solution so either go back to 4-2-3-1 and hope that Dybala grows into it or try him out wide.
My prediction is that Dybala will be sold. Selling Higuain represents too much of a loss so we'll keep him and hope he rebounds. In the meantime, we'll transition to a fairly defensive 4-3-3, hoping Higuain and whoever is on the wings can produce a goal or two every match.

We'll use Dybala money to reinforce CMs and RB.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Ideally Higuain would be sold and Dybala put up front but you're right the club won't take that loss on the balance sheets and it seems most likely that Dybala will be sold.

Shame, I really don't like the idea of getting rid of one of the most talented players we've signed post Calciopioli but I suppose it makes more sense than keeping him with the plan of trying to force him into roles he doesn't play.

:xfinger: Maybe Higuain will agree to go to China and they will pay beaucoup bucks for him :xfinger: :p

Monty

Tuz Royalty
May 2, 2017
My prediction is that Dybala will be sold. Selling Higuain represents too much of a loss so we'll keep him and hope he rebounds. In the meantime, we'll transition to a fairly defensive 4-3-3, hoping Higuain and whoever is on the wings can produce a goal or two every match.

We'll use Dybala money to reinforce CMs and RB.

@Bianconero81

- - - Updated - - -

Ideally Higuain would be sold and Dybala put up front but you're right the club won't take that loss on the balance sheets and it seems most likely that Dybala will be sold.

Shame, I really don't like the idea of getting rid of one of the most talented players we've signed post Calciopioli but I suppose it makes more sense than keeping him with the plan of trying to force him into roles he doesn't play.

@Bianconero81

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
some has got to make way for Croatian CR7

but seriously, Nedved96 somehow manages to outdo himself every day. Probably a DA, nobody is (unintentionally) so oblivious about absolutely everything like he is.
that's it...now you've crossed the line

@zizinho @Alin
We've got too many right wingers.

Berna, Costa and Cuadrado.

We can't keep them all happy. One of them will have to be sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 120)