Summer mercato thread 2017-18 (23 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
If nothing happens between now and the end of the mercato....

Goalkeepers - stronger (Szczesny + Pinsoglio)
Defence - weaker (Alves & Bonucci so far only got De Sciglio)
Defensive midfield - same to marginally (although with a better shape Marchisio and addition of Bentancur)
Attacking midfield - stronger (Berna + Costa)
Striker - same.

Overall its a 5/10 mercato. Difficult for it to be much better because we are unlikely to improve defence on last year as Bonucci and Alves are two BIG losses. Midfield is likely to be about making the subs stronger because Khedira/Pjanic/Marchisio are likely to be the preferred players no matter who we are currently linked with.

If we let Lichsteiner go and get a dynamic right back (not sure if Cancelo is that good tbh), and add a quality DM with some experience like Matuidi and most importantly KEEP Dybala - then my score will go up from 5 to maybe 6 or 7.

----

Also for reference, transfer market to date, the net effect on the Income statement for FY18 is actually a POSITIVE 20m. This is because we booked a chunky 40m gain on Bonucci who's contractual book value was virtually zero. However, if hypothetically, we did nothing in next year's transfer market the P&L effect would be NEGATIVE 22m after the one off gain no longer applies to the following year and we book amortization charges for the Costa transfer which is higher than the loan cost.

Juve92

Jan 18, 2016
out: Dybala, Lemina, Rincon, Lichtsteiner

in: Mbappe, SMS, De Vrij, Cancelo

:beppe: mercato - 15/10 on the moggi scale; TuZ :tuttosport: level over 9000
I dont see the point in selling Dybala and getting Mbappe. The kid will leave for Madrid after sometime...
Just try to keep Dybala as long as possible.

Apr 29, 2006
I dont see the point in selling Dybala and getting Mbappe. The kid will leave for Madrid after sometime...
Just try to keep Dybala as long as possible.
Money. If the market keeps the same levels and especially if Neymar deal goes through... Well, Mbappe will go to Madrid for 250-300M. Let's hope we would be in on this deal. We can build a bigger stadium and leave this one for the reserves. :snoop:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Personally if the mercato has kept the same level of the team, its an automatic at the least. 7 at least if we adressed all issues.

5/10 is a very poor mercato
No it did not. Our defense is A LOT weaker at this point. Our most fragile position, midfield issue, wasn't even addressed so far.

We bought 2 new wingers and that's about it. One with a big potential and one that needs to be revived.

I'm a transfer market fanatic and IMO this is quite a poor mercato that we've done (so far). I expect a lot... A LOT more seeing how we won almost everything, reaching the CL final. Despite of us winning almost everything this mercato looks like the one we made a couple of years ago as there were no impressive moves at all. If anything, there were only surprise sales, like Bonucci -- who even wasn't replaced.

In my books this is like 5.5/10 at this point. It might reach 8-10 if some miracle happen, but so far it's nothing but a disappointment. This surely doesn't look like a mercato a club who won Coppa, Serie A and reached CL final.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
No it did not. Our defense is A LOT weaker at this point. Our most fragile position, midfield issue, wasn't even addressed so far.

We bought 2 new wingers and that's about it. One with a big potential and one that needs to be revived.

I'm a transfer market fanatic and IMO this is quite a poor mercato that we've done (so far). I expect a lot... A LOT more seeing how we won almost everything, reaching the CL final. Despite of us winning almost everything this mercato looks like the one we made a couple of years ago as there were no impressive moves at all. If anything, there were only surprise sales, like Bonucci -- who even wasn't replaced.

In my books this is like 5.5/10 at this point. It might reach 8-10 if some miracle happen, but so far it's nothing but a disappointment. This surely doesn't look like a mercato a club who won Coppa, Serie A and reached CL final.

You are disgustingly underrating Douglas Costa, and completely neglecting Bernadeschi.
Bonucci's loss is a big one. But what is the quality difference between him and Barzagli ?

Having that said, its completely retarded to rate a mercato halfway.

If we have adressed all key issues before it ends, and their late arrival have no impact on their preparedness for the season, its still a 7.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
You are disgustingly underrating Douglas Costa, and completely neglecting Bernadeschi.
Bonucci's loss is a big one. But what is the quality difference between him and Barzagli ?

Having that said, its completely retarded to rate a mercato halfway.

If we have adressed all key issues before it ends, and their late arrival have no impact on their preparedness for the season, its still a 7.
That's not true. Both are exactly what I wrote: a big potential and a player whos career needs to be revived here, hell, even Bayern fans agree to that as they all wanted him out.

I love Barzagli but he's a dinosaur age. Also, it's not just about a replacement per se, but we're risking injuries (Chiellini had problems over the last 2 seasons). Our defense is rather fragile.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
That's not true. Both are exactly what I wrote: a big potential and a player whos career needs to be revived here, hell, even Bayern fans agree to that as they all wanted him out.

I love Barzagli but he's a dinosaur age. Also, it's not just about a replacement per se, but we're risking injuries (Chiellini had problems over the last 2 seasons). Our defense is rather fragile.
Well my two cents

Before the mercato we knew we had to adress winger options and cm
Alves forced his way out. It was not possible to keep him. Replacing him is tough. Considerably improving the team with Costa can partially solve this but i expect a better fullback to come in. This can only be evaluated once the fullback arrives, OR after mercato is finished and : lol its desci.
Bonucci had to be shipped off. We were kind. Could have upset the dressing room but we didnt. Thing is, we had this defence for a 3cb defence and we are on a 2cb defence. With Rugani ready to break through. It makes sense to rely on Chiellini, Barzagli,Benatia, while giving Rugani an incredible amount of games and go from there. Our depth for 2cb is similar to what it was for 3cb. Bonucci is a loss. Buying a massive CB is a bad idea in the long term considering the incredible talent of Rugani.
We didnt adress cm. We can leave it late. We can only know after we sign a cm or when the mercato closes

Its not possible to rate at this point. But selling Dybala would.

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
We have no starter quality RB and huge question marks on CB and MF and we're trying to sign Keita :lol:
that's why i'm not happy with this mercato.
We lost Bonucci and Alves which were 2 starters and we spent it all on Costa and Bernardeschi
We brought in a mediocre De Sciglio on Allegri request and we still lack a real midfielder
we didn't sell yet the likes of Lemina,Rincon,Lichsteiner and Asamoah meanwhile the time passing and we're already in august.
Usually Marotta wanted to close the market as early as possible.... while this summer everything feels so weird and unnatural.
Dunno what's on their mind. And if the big shot is the 30yrs old Matuidi or the overpriced average N'Zonzi..... that would leave me really depressed

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
We have no starter quality RB and huge question marks on CB and MF and we're trying to sign Keita :lol:
If we wanted to sign Keita, which according to you is our main thing, he would have been here a month ago.

- - - Updated - - -

We lost Bonucci and Alves which were 2 starters and we spent it all on Costa and Bernardeschi
We brought in a mediocre De Sciglio on Allegri request and we still lack a real midfielder
we didn't sell yet the likes of Lemina,Rincon,Lichsteiner and Asamoah meanwhile the time passing and we're already in august.
Usually Marotta wanted to close the market as early as possible.... while this summer everything feels so weird and unnatural.
Dunno what's on their mind. And if the big shot is the 30yrs old Matuidi or the overpriced average N'Zonzi..... that would leave me really depressed
The mercato is halfway.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
Yes, august the 1st to be precise; almost 11 hours already. About 30 days to go. We brought in D. Costa, De Sciglio, Sczcesny & Bernardeschi. Time to start panicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 23)