Studying in the UK (1 Viewer)

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
I'll most likely be pursuing tertiary education in the UK come next year, so I'm understandably nervous at the prospect of spending my next 3 years (possibly 4) halfway across the globe.

Any useful information or experiences would be very welcome indeed. :smile:

Oh and btw, I'll be reading Law.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    Bad food, worse weather, fish, chips, cup o' tea, Mary f*king Poppins - London.
    Well I've done my fair share of research so all of the above is the least I'd expect. The fact that I'll very likely be studying in London doesn't do my wallet any favours either.

Did you have any experience with a particular university?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Nah I didn't study in London, I just went there on my travels. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the place was, and it was great to be able to chat with just about everyone about football.

Can't really help you in terms of studying there though. Sounds like an awesome opportunity for you, but yeah... it won't be kind to your wallet :S

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    I'll most likely be pursuing tertiary education in the UK come next year, so I'm understandably nervous at the prospect of spending my next 3 years (possibly 4) halfway across the globe.

England or Scotland?

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    England. Its most likely between UCL, LSE, King's or Cambridge though.
    Well I would offer advice, but it would probably be irrelevant due to the differences between the Scottish and English systems.

I'm in my 3rd year of a Scots Law degree.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004

Take note of their stupid league tables. The mistake I made was that I didn't. This country for all their claims of being egalitarian really isn't. Aim for a school in the top cadre of those tables and don't let any advertising campaign other than those sway you. You stand a much better chance of getting employment that way...

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
    I went to Middlesex University. Their ads back in Naija are like da bomb, so the place has a lot of Naija students, but it is a new university (established 1992), so as far as the establishment here is concerned, it is crap. My only joy from there is that Glen Mapp was one of my lecturers, and I did learn a lot from him.

Well to be honest, they did have some decent tutors there as well...

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #15
    No Oxford? And don't rule out Queen Mary, they're not a bad option in London.

What type of program are you looking for?
    I haven't ruled out any universities as of yet, in fact Oxford and Warwick are two others also on my list.

I'm looking to take my LLB, ie Legum Baccalaureate or Bachelor of Laws. No Law + German/Italian Law or anything like that. Haven't made any plans for a postgraduate programme either.

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    Take note of their stupid league tables. The mistake I made was that I didn't. This country for all their claims of being egalitarian really isn't. Aim for a school in the top cadre of those tables and don't let any advertising campaign other than those sway you. You stand a much better chance of getting employment that way...
    Believe me, I have. Some in fact will have you believe Oxbridge are the only two universities in the UK of any note. :rolleyes2

Geof

May 14, 2004
    I haven't ruled out any universities as of yet, in fact Oxford and Warwick are two others also on my list.

I'm looking to take my LLB, ie Legum Baccalaureate or Bachelor of Laws. No Law + German/Italian Law or anything like that. Haven't made any plans for a postgraduate programme either.
    Believe me, I have. Some in fact will have you believe Oxbridge are the only two universities in the UK of any note. :rolleyes2
    Yeah well. reputation is often more important than actual quality. But keep in mind that you could get a postgrad from a prestigious uni later.

Choose a good uni for your LLB, but IMO it has not to be top of the top reputation. The value of your postgrad will be more important to your employer.
    Take criterias such as city, location, nightlife, student atmosphere, ... more into consideration for your LLB.
    You'll study for a long time there, so we don't want you to become a frustrated over worked nerd. Being a student is far more than attending classes, writing papers and exams...

That's my opinion.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
    Not entirely false actually. A general concensus is that most universities and education in general in England is relatively easy and of a low level compared to the rest of western-Europe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)