Steve Irwin died in freak accident (1 Viewer)

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
It's a shame he died at such a young age, though it's also impressive that he stayed alive for so long, considering his occupation.

Shame nonetheless, grew up with him on the tellie and he will be missed.

Juve89

The Farmer
May 27, 2004
Sadomin said:
It's a shame he died at such a young age, though it's also impressive that he stayed alive for so long, considering his occupation.

Shame nonetheless, grew up with him on the tellie and he will be missed.
I can't agree with you on that one. Simply because the enormous respect he showed to the animals.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I just heard the news by one of my sis ters,, and came here because i knew you guys would have some commentary.

Im really suprised.... but well, this kind of things happen when you spend 3 or 4 days of the week working with wild animals which are unpredictable in some cases.

Alhto i was not a die hard fan of his shows, i saw some of them and they were very interesting. He was so passionate about the animals and this is why everyone admired him.

He had his flwas too, like that incident with his son, but overall the guy was an icon and an example for all the ones who choose that path.

A very sad news indeed.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Juve89 said:
I can't agree with you on that one. Simply because the enormous respect he showed to the animals.
You can have enormous respect for fire, but play with fire every day and eventually you'll get yourself hurt.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Juve89 said:
But by the same token, you could be a tightrope walker with an incredible respect for wind and gravity. But that doesn't mean that falling to your death shouldn't be considered an occupational hazard.

The fact is that wildlife isn't a polite parade of cute zoo animals. He did a great job of educating people on that. Unfortunately, being in regular proximity with dangerous wildlife adds hazards no matter how many precautions you take -- particularly where your career is defined by the risks you publicly take on TV each week.

I'm sure he at least died doing what he loved to do.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
swag said:
But by the same token, you could be a tightrope walker with an incredible respect for wind and gravity. But that doesn't mean that falling to your death shouldn't be considered an occupational hazard.

The fact is that wildlife isn't a polite parade of cute zoo animals. He did a great job of educating people on that. Unfortunately, being in regular proximity with dangerous wildlife adds hazards no matter how many precautions you take -- particularly where your career is defined by the risks you publicly take on TV each week.

I'm sure he at least died doing what he loved to do.

Exactly, this is what I said when a colleague of mine died a few weeks back. He was around 60 years old but he's like the supreme worker. He's the best and he knows everything. He died during a normal day at work, in a project I was not in.

He died doing the best thing he likes to do. RIP

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
Freak accident my arse. His life was a freak accident. Every day he woke up was the real freak accident. He was an idiot and I loved what he was doing. This is a great loss and I am very sorry to see him die.

RIP you great idiot! RESPECT.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
swag said:
The fact is that wildlife isn't a polite parade of cute zoo animals. He did a great job of educating people on that. Unfortunately, being in regular proximity with dangerous wildlife adds hazards no matter how many precautions you take -- .
But that in itself is why this is so surprising... Stingrays jus arent dangerous creatures... If he was killed by a croc or a snake you could understand but something so simple and generally harmless as a stingray... Its jus shocking and massively unlucky...

10's of thousands of people swim with stingrays every year without harm... Both times i've dived with stingrays (bahamas and the barrier reef) they have been incredibly docile and if anything friendly and curious, many times actually coming along side you and swimming with you for a while...

95% of stingray 'attacks' happen due to their bottom sitting nature and come as the result of the natural defensive action when people accidently step on them... Its almost unheard of for them to attack someone swimming near them... and even on that rare occasion they do get spooked and sting the chances of it landing a fatal blow is incredibly low... The last death in australian waters from a stingray was 60 years ago.. 60 years between deaths in some of the most dived waters on the planet... If thats not unlucky i dont know what is...

A sad end to wonderful mans life.. a man who did an amazing amount for conservation and for raising a new level of awareness of the wonders of the animal kingdom to a whole generation.

R.I.P Steve... There will never be another like you... The one and only Croc Hunter...

Natalia

Jan 18, 2006
stingrays are dangerous.....if you disturb it----it'll jab its poisonous barb at your leg or chest as in the case of Steve....

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I don't buy that, Paul. The thing is called a stringray, afterall. And while injuries, and in particular fatalities, are rare, they do exist enough for citations, e.g.:

http://www.clubcruceros.org/StingrayInjuries.html
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/do....1998.tb00510.x?cookieSet=1#search="stingray"

Sure, 17 deaths worldwide doesn't seem like a heck of a lot. Particularly when compared with about 10 shark related deaths each year. (But then some 150 people die each year of falling coconuts -- talk about freak accidents.)

However, if there's one person I've heard of that would top my list of people I would suspect could die from a stingray, it would have to be Steve Irwin.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Respaul said:
But that in itself is why this is so surprising... Stingrays jus arent dangerous creatures... If he was killed by a croc or a snake you could understand but something so simple and generally harmless as a stingray... Its jus shocking and massively unlucky...

10's of thousands of people swim with stingrays every year without harm... Both times i've dived with stingrays (bahamas and the barrier reef) they have been incredibly docile and if anything friendly and curious, many times actually coming along side you and swimming with you for a while...
A spectacular death to a spectacular person, really. Somehow, it would just've been totally wrong to lose the Crocodile Hunter to a crocodile or a snake. He keeps his well-earned reputation as someone with total control.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
swag said:
I don't buy that, Paul. The thing is called a stringray, afterall. And while injuries, and in particular fatalities, are rare, they do exist enough for citations, e.g.:

http://www.clubcruceros.org/StingrayInjuries.html
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1708-8305.1998.tb00510.x?cookieSet=1#search=%22stingray%22
I never said it didnt happen, i said they werent "dangerous" animals which is true... Your first link says exactly what i said which was that almost all stingray attacks are from people accidently standing on them... what creature wouldnt do that... It even says they are non aggressive, docile animals as i said...

You cannot make an animal out to be dangerous jus cause they defend them selves when some idiot treads on them...

As i said, stingray attacks in open water are incredibly rare and fatalities are even rarer and on that score as i said very unlucky...

10's of thousands of normal every day people swim amongst and with them every year without problem...

Your second link doesnt work for me.

Even watching the various tv outlets who are currently going to town on this story , not one of them have found a single expert to say they are a "dangerous" creature or to say anything bar him being unlucky

Stingray "attacks" are really along the lines of a sea urchin... are they a deadly beast ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)