Stevan Jovetic - Forward - Fiorentina (110 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
All this talk is redundant really. I don't think Juve can pull it off tbh. Anyway, from my perspective, I feel a classic CF being the dying breed that they are, would allow this squad a little more balance upfront. I feel with Gio, Vucinic already hang their part to play, a CF will add nicely to that mix vis a vis JoJo, who would add more fantasy. But for me, if that was to happen, I'd rather let go of Gio or Vucinic to accommodate JoJo so as to accommodate the additional CF.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
i feel that we won't persue jovetic before we see how giovinco does anyway. we paid 11m and i feel conte will want to see how this investment pays off before deciding on another similar player

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
@Jem83 that thoery was debunked after our failure to convert easy chances last season imo.

the reason the classic 9 is less sought after is because most of them tend to be slow, have heavy touches and often kill the rhythm of the team. see matri last season.

an example of perfect number 9 for juve would be eto'o, torres prime and villa. because they don't have those negative aspects to their game

llrente is like that, but to a much lesser extent
Couldn't agree more. Ibra was like that too, there was so much more to his game than just being the classical bomber.

About Llorente, yeah I suppose he falls into this category, but unfortunately he's just not good enough. He's like a lesser version of them all. Poor man's Ibra.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
I know, but my take on the whole Llorente affair is: Don't pay :D

Leave it be.

Save up, make some more cash, look for a better option in the next transfer window.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007

Leave it be.

Save up, make some more cash, look for a better option in the next transfer window.
i am of the same thought. i think matri can have a much better season than ast year. yeah he's not going to turn into trezeguet, but i feel he can score 20 goals with the increased quality players around him and more play time.

edit: yes, i meant jovetic

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
i am of the same thought. i think matri can have a much better season than ast year. yeah he's not going to turn into trezeguet, but i feel he can score 20 goals with the increased quality players around him and more play time
So do I, man. Matri's off the ball movement is sublime. He really knows how to position himself and set himself up to get good chances. He needs to be a little bit better in finishing them off, but I definitely see him close to the 20 mark next season.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I just get the feeling we are in for a surprise. Knowing how all over the place Marrotta normally is with the market, he seems to be doing something behind the scenes this time around.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

Leave it be.

Yes.

The more I think about it the more I agree. I would rather save and use Matri until a truly sublime ST is available.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Aren't you constantly going on about how poor the quality of Serie A is? That's simplistic anyway, Matri and Vučinić proved they weren't clinical over a season, chance conversion has to be better in the Champions League with the best teams in the world.

There were plenty of games where I was frustrated about not having someone in the penalty area to get into the right areas and score goals properly, I won't forget those easily.
This is the theory man, and I certainly get it.

Here's one thing I find interesting though. Everyone cares about the goals, everyone needs those goals. But Llorente has only had one season where he had a better domestic goal scoring rate than Matri's 20 goals in 2010-11, or even Jovetic's 14 in 27 games last year - and that was last year, 17/32.

I'm not saying Jovetic will surely do it again, but last year, coming off major surgery, 22 y/o, if he had played the whole 38 games, he was on pace for 20 goals. Often playing in a new position. With Fiorentina service - and we can provide him many more scoring opportunities.

Also, the year before he got hurt, Jovetic - 5 goals in 6 CL games. Huge performances in big matches. A player of his quality, if the club can afford him, I really think he's not to be missed.

I like his numbers in Europa, but Llorente hasn't played CL; he'd likely excel under the big lights, but he hasn't done it yet.

For me, there's a significant benefit that there are fewer uncertainties for Jojo; no new country/culture/league, etc. Way higher resale potential as well.

Frankly, I can't see us winning the CL in our first crack at it, especially if we have no coach. I'd be more concerned with making
sure that the club dominates Serie A again, nails the CL slot, and keeps the revenue coming in. We all know a healthy Jojo will tear up Serie A, I can't for sure say that Llorente will.

Then again, I've hardly seen him play. :D But I would sure love me some Jojo.

i feel that we won't persue jovetic before we see how giovinco does anyway. we paid 11m and i feel conte will want to see how this investment pays off before deciding on another similar player
I thought the same myself initially, but a while back it occurred to me that the interest from earlier in the mercato seemed pretty concrete. The rats confirmed they had received an actual bid - which is heavily rumored to be from Juve - and Marotta was talking about the player's availability - or lack thereof. Lots of noise on the rats side.

In my opinion, and it's a bit of a leap without hearing it directly from the man, but I would say that Conte already gave Marotta his endorsement of the player - hence the bid - and would be happy to add Jovetic to a squad that includes Giovinco.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
the issue with jovetic, is the same issue i have with giovinco's possible success this season in juve.

in parma and purple rats. both thos eplayers were the main players for their teams. everything went through them as they were a notch above everyone else.

in juve, that is not the case as both pirlo and vucinic will be there as well.

so either:

a) they turn out not be as effective as they were
b) they turn into better players THE players in the team

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
the issue with jovetic, is the same issue i have with giovinco's possible success this season in juve.

in parma and purple rats. both thos eplayers were the main players for their teams. everything went through them as they were a notch above everyone else.

in juve, that is not the case as both pirlo and vucinic will be there as well.

so either:

a) they turn out not be as effective as they were
b) they turn into better players THE players in the team

Wouldn't that be the case though for everyone linked to Juve, though?

Conversely, you could also say that a player like Jovetic will actually be better because of the types of players around him, and Jovetic in turn, could make those players better.

In my opinion, there are only two players out there who can be truly great with just him and 10 of us members on the forum. They both play in Spain, and they aren't leaving anytime soon.

May 22, 2007
This is the theory man, and I certainly get it.

Here's one thing I find interesting though. Everyone cares about the goals, everyone needs those goals. But Llorente has only had one season where he had a better domestic goal scoring rate than Matri's 20 goals in 2010-11, or even Jovetic's 14 in 27 games last year - and that was last year, 17/32.

I'm not saying Jovetic will surely do it again, but last year, coming off major surgery, 22 y/o, if he had played the whole 38 games, he was on pace for 20 goals. Often playing in a new position. With Fiorentina service - and we can provide him many more scoring opportunities.

Also, the year before he got hurt, Jovetic - 5 goals in 6 CL games. Huge performances in big matches. A player of his quality, if the club can afford him, I really think he's not to be missed.

I like his numbers in Europa, but Llorente hasn't played CL; he'd likely excel under the big lights, but he hasn't done it yet.

For me, there's a significant benefit that there are fewer uncertainties for Jojo; no new country/culture/league, etc. Way higher resale potential as well.

Frankly, I can't see us winning the CL in our first crack at it, especially if we have no coach. I'd be more concerned with making
sure that the club dominates Serie A again, nails the CL slot, and keeps the revenue coming in. We all know a healthy Jojo will tear up Serie A, I can't for sure say that Llorente will.

Then again, I've hardly seen him play. :D But I would sure love me some Jojo.
My main concern with Jovetić would be his movement and penalty area responsibilities. His goalscoring record was great last season yeah, but despite doing that as a centre forward, I'd still prefer this player to be playing off someone else. Del Piero had a good goalscoring record and played very well off Trezeguet, they were a brilliant pairing with their telepathic understanding. That's what I'd hope Jovetić would get at Juve, so he can work some magic deeper on the field and not being forced to push into the penalty area. I think it's mostly about moving around the penalty area and knowing by instinct what is going to happen, King David mastered it by anticipating where the ball would end up and that's why he was so successful. He'd usually be waiting to tuck the ball into the net when needed, as it sailed across the face of the goal. Actually, in the Prandelli days, Jojo sort of did have that when he played with Gilardino. I remember Gilardino getting bucket loads of assists in that CL campaign when he'd hold the ball and lay it off for his teammates. Not that Gila is the player I'd want here.

I hadn't really taken much notice of Llorente's goalscoring record across his career before, and it doesn't shine brightly if I'm honest. I think he's a good player from when I've paid most attention to him (2010 onwards), looks like he's someone to aim passes at who will allow Gio or Mirko to play. He'd be good at a lot of the things Borriello was struggling with, holding onto the ball (not something I'd want Jojo doing) and playing with his teammates while still scoring goals. Llorente is not my ideal striker (despite thinking he's good) anyway, but with the current collection of support strikers at Juve, I think he'd suit the team. My favourite in this current market would have to be Džeko, great scoring record in two leagues and the Champions League, and I buy into what he does well. I really think in last season's team he would have been a relief, that Genoa game where Juve had over 30 shots and didn't score a single goal was really painful.

Someone earlier mentioned that the keyword is "quality", and they are spot on. I'd much rather Jojo before someone like Pazzini was considered. As you said about Jojo, everything there already. The Champions League performances, his consistent performance in a top league, he's stepped up and played well in the biggest games of the season. In his career the only thing that might put people off would be that season long injury, but that is it. If the rumours heated up and it looked likely, I know I'd be excited like a little child though, because he still has a career of football ahead of him to become even better than he currently is. It would be worth selling our weaker strikers to raise money for him.

The witchcraft of not having a fantasista type striker playing off the centre forward doesn't appeal to me :D Basically, I have been pining for a strike force similar to what Del Piero and Trezeguet provided this club, and right now this team lacks a Trezeguet more than a Del Piero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 110)