Stephon Marbury - A Class act? (1 Viewer)

Falafel

Shawarma
Jul 23, 2006
LeBron James vs. Stephon Marbury: The $150 Shoe vs. the $15 Shoe

During last nights Knicks and Cavs match up, there was another battle going on. As well documented around the net, Stephon Marbury is endorsing a line of $15 Steve and Barry's kicks called Starburys. The premise behind the shoe is to give kids that can't afford outrageously priced shoes a chance to purchase a pair of NBA endorsed kicks that won't break their parent's bank account. So what does LeBron James, endorser of Nike's outrageously priced basketball sneakers, have to say about Marbury's new kicks? Here's what he told Newsday's Ken Berger:

Before the game, James took a little shot at Marbury's $14.98 kicks, saying he couldn't imagine endorsing a sneaker that cheap. "No, I don't think so," James said. "Me being with Nike, we hold our standards high."

Obviously LeBron James rise to fame and riches has allowed him to forget about where he comes from. Isn't this the same LeBron James that grew up in poverty in Akron, OH? What Marbury is doing is starting a cultural revolution. He's trying to change the game so that kids don't feel left out if they don't have a pair of $150 shoes. If LeBron wanted to be the man to be a real global icon, he would look to be something more than a puppet for Nike and become a leader like Marbury and step out and do something different that would actually aid the people that come from backgrounds similar to his own. As well, there are plenty of people that are making millions of dollars selling cheaper shoes. Shaquille O'neal has been doing it for years, but at more than twice the price ($39.99) of the Starburys. So what's Stephon's response to LeBron's obvious arrogance?

Marbury, who is friendly with James, was lacing up his Starburys before the game when informed of LeBron's comment. He thought about it for a moment and said, "I'd rather own than be owned."

For those of you that don't know, unlike James, Marbury is actually tied to the equity of his brand. Marbury gets a piece of the profits from every Starbury shoe that is sold. So not only does he have a chance to revolutionize the shoe industry in a way that benefits the low income consumer, but he also has a chance to become a big time shoe mogul. Instead of being a lemming, James might want to start taking notes.

Buy on AliExpress.com

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
starbury is a a true new yorker. ppl like him and shaq both understood that there are alot of ppl who cant afford high end kicks. he is a staple of nyc and the knicks organization. his shoe line is a great idea and he does alot for the community. lebron is a punk who has been well off since his junior yr of high school. he has never had to go through a struggle to get where he is. ignorant/arrogant comments reinforces my thoughts on him. GO KNICKS! 8th seed baby

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
James is an arrogant asswipe and i knew that the first time i saw him play. I hope he doesn't win a ring in his whole career

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
Way to go Marbury, thats the first time ive ever heard of something like this, well i guess for basketball, player-endorsed shoes are a bigger deal than they are in football.
other than Ronaldo's R9s, what other shoes are there endorsed by football players?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
LeBron just said what most people in his position would do. He's got a big deal with Nike, what do you expect him to say? Doesn't mean he's a devil, just makes him an average ridiculously highly paid athlete.

This witch hunt is uncalled for. You don't have to trash James to praise Marbury either.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
LeBron just said what most people in his position would do. He's got a big deal with Nike, what do you expect him to say? Doesn't mean he's a devil, just makes him an average ridiculously highly paid athlete.

This witch hunt is uncalled for. You don't have to trash James to praise Marbury either.
ya but i dont think you understand what kind of pedestal lebron is put on here in america. he is the future of all athletes here and he is always regarded for being humble, charitable and a genuinely good kid. taking shots at someone who is in no manner affecting you or your money shouldn't be justified.

by making comments like that lebron is not living up to the persona that he and his media circus, the nba, nike, sprite, etc.. all project him to be.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
ya but i dont think you understand what kind of pedestal lebron is put on here in america. he is the future of all athletes here and he is always regarded for being humble, charitable and a genuinely good kid. taking shots at someone who is in no manner affecting you or your money shouldn't be justified.

by making comments like that lebron is not living up to the persona that he and his media circus, the nba, nike, sprite, etc.. all project him to be.
Well that may be. But based solely on the article posted here, it's not like he said anything really bad. He just said the sneakers weren't very good cause they're cheap, which may or may not be true.

I've seen a couple of interviews with him and he seems like a decent guy. A bit arrogant, but otherwise fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)