Split: What defenders to clear out? (1 Viewer)

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
Well guys,Tudor didn't came to the medical tests with the rest of returners from National teams...
it was written that the reason is,that he is in England right now and about to close he deal with Spurs.

So he is leaving 100%,for a around 5mil.

Another one or 2 defenders will leave...my feeling is that Iuliano will leave.

Legro will stay 100%,Capello likes him alot,and he can shine once again as in Chievo.that what everybody there is talking about him...

So Tudor And Iuliano leaving .maybe someone will join them(Montero or Pessotto or Biri).

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
I want just to sheer this: today i was viewing Brasil-Uruguay semifinal match for the Copa America: In the center back of Uruguay was Paolo Montero and he played and excellent game, being able to neutralize totally Adriano. Paolo was by far the best defensive in the pitch, and the TV commentator was Luis Cesar Menotti, former argentinian World Cup winner trainer. He comments about Montero : "i was his trainer, back in the old days .He is as good as it gets, being is sense of position and anticipation unique. As he is playing today, i think he is still one of the five top central defenders in the world..."

I think we need to keep Montero, he can still give much to the team....

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Montero used to be one of the best defenders in the world. But it's not like you can walk up to an attacker, say you used to be good and expect he's not going to run by you.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Montero gets exposed against pacey strikers. To make things worse, Legro, Iluliano, Tudor, Ferrara arent quickest defenders around. Personally, I would keep Legro to give him one last chance, and Ferrara as he can provide veteran presence both on and off the pitch.
Nonetheless, I think their future will depend on the formation Capello intends to use: If Don Fabio believes in 3 men backline then I can see him having 5 CBs in the team. Preferrably, I would buy at least 2 of them from the transfer market, and try to fill in other 3 spots within the team. If that is the case maybe Iluliano and Montero can make the squad, as especially in latter's case he played majority of his career as sweeper.
However, at the end of day, what really matter is who we brings in, because they are the guys who will ultimately start IMO.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++
Montero gets exposed against pacey strikers. To make things worse, Legro, Iluliano, Tudor, Ferrara arent quickest defenders around. Personally, I would keep Legro to give him one last chance, and Ferrara as he can provide veteran presence both on and off the pitch.
Nonetheless, I think their future will depend on the formation Capello intends to use: If Don Fabio believes in 3 men backline then I can see him having 5 CBs in the team. Preferrably, I would buy at least 2 of them from the transfer market, and try to fill in other 3 spots within the team. If that is the case maybe Iluliano and Montero can make the squad, as especially in latter's case he played majority of his career as sweeper.
However, at the end of day, what really matter is who we brings in, because they are the guys who will ultimately start IMO.
I think that we'll probably see a four man backline featuring Zebina and Thuram in the centre of defence. Until I see it, I don't think that I can judge it, but I'm more worried about who will play fullback. Zambrotta should stay on the left and we'll need to get Oddo for the right, otherwise we'll be in trouble.

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
This should be our defensive line up:
Giorgio Chiellini
Ciro Ferrara
Nicola Legrottaglie
Paolo Montero
Lilian Thuram
Gianluca Zambrotta
Jonathan Zebina
Antonio Birindelli
Massimo Oddo

These players should go:
Igor Tudor -> Get money out of him while we can.
Gianluca Pessotto -> Past his prime and we have Chiellini and Oddo in his place.
Mark Iuliano -> Use him as bait for Gila, Oddo or whoever.

My backline:

1st: Oddo - Thuram - Legro - Zambrotta

2nd: Biridelli- Montero - Zebina/Ferrara - Chiellini

I have high hopes for Legro. But it wouldnt hurt to add another CB to this equation. Eg. Cannavaro.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Ian,

I really cant see how Zebina and Thuram will make fine partnership. They are both more man-marker type and none of them are capable of organizing defence, and anticipating the oppositions attack. Personally, I do think Thuram's capable of playing CB position, but given the lack of options on the right, I would like to see him play as a RB, and maybe buy good young CBs. Mexes, Ferrari or even Burdisso could have been good complement to Zebina or Thuram IMO, but sadly we missed them all and there is nobody that particuarly impress me in the market right now. The last thing we need is rash judgement and make ill-fated investment, and I honestly dont believe signings likes of Oddo is worth money. I am willing to wait and see how Miguel, and Seiritaridis, or even an unknown talent rather than buy Oddo.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Oddo-Thuram-Ujfalusi-Zambrotta

Birindelli-Zebina-Legrottaglie-Chiellini

As well as Ferrara, and maybe Pessotto.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Get rid of Tudor, Iuliano, Pessotto, Montero, Legro,Biri, and even our good friend Ferrarra should retire

The time is up for these men at Juve....................................

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
There is no doubt that Oddo is a quality player but I wonder whether it is worth buying player that is already at his peak when our defence needs some youth. Furthermore, Oddo is type of player that is more comfortable going forward than defending, and given the lack of cover at the center, I wonder the wisdom buying such player. Nonetheless, given the lack of choices available I would settle for Oddo signing for a reasonable price. But personally, I will wait for one or two year to see how Seiritaridis or Miguel develops or even perhaps some youngster to emerge.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
Get rid of Tudor, Iuliano, Pessotto, Montero, Legro,Biri, and even our good friend Ferrarra should retire

Legro deserves more of a chance imo, while Birindelli is a solid back-up player.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++

Good idea, then we would have a back line consisting of 3 players :thumb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)