Split: What defenders to clear out? (1 Viewer)

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
I once mentioned, that we should have those defenders:
Oddo---Thuram---???---Jankulovski
Zebina---Ferrara---Tudor---Chiellini + Legrottaglie

On the other hand, the question is: Who would spend money for Montero and Iuliano! They are old, and both didn't have the best season.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Leave Birindelli, he's a good sub player. Pessotto isn't as calamitous as Montero and Iuliano, and we haven't got a decent replacement for Camo at the moment.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Leave Birindelli, he's a good sub player. Pessotto isn't as calamitous as Montero and Iuliano, and we haven't got a decent replacement for Camo at the moment.
    that sums it up:)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    thread split

Who comes, who goes?
    Is Montero worth another season?
    Is Iuliano?
    Should Zambrotta be replaced so he can play in midfield again?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Wow, it seems that thread splitting has become the new fashion these days.

Time to look for some threads to mangle :D

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    there's no need to replace zambro just so he can play in midfield again,but it's more of an option we could excercise if we manage to get a good wingback.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Iuliano and Montero should leave for sure. Ferrara can stay for another season as a guider to the younger defenders in the squad. Although Tudor is more than a half-decent defender he's always injured. If Capello actually plans on playing him and in the correct position then he's definitely worth keeping, but under Lippi he hardly got on to the pitch and when he did it was as a midfielder. Birindelli has to stay imo. He's a solid back-up player and even though he doesn't do anything extraordinary, when he gets his chance he seldomly disappoints. If I was the coach I'd bid Pessotto farewell and use Chiellini as Zambro's sub, but loaning the 20 year old and keeping Pessotto for another term is also an option. I think that about covers it.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Poku ] ++
    maybe even Thuram if we got someone decent to replace him (not going to happen though...)
    Even so, I don't think we should sell him. Apart from having a couple of good seasons left in him, I think he can teach our new defenders a thing or two about solidity. You can't spit on Thuram just because of last season's performance; he's one of the best defenders in the world, and it'd be any coach's dream to have someone like him training up the new crop for the future

Len

Feb 13, 2004
    So are we gonna get rid of Montero and Iuliano...I'm sure some dodgy teams like Messina or Atalanta would want them...;)

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Len ] ++
    So are we gonna get rid of Montero and Iuliano...I'm sure some dodgy teams like Messina or Atalanta would want them...;)
    Why does everyone bashes Paolo Montero..:fero::fero:..he has been the main reference of our central defense for seven years...he is the less scored central defense in the team in the las TWELVE YEARS !!! Why do you think Lippi was keeping him always in the pitch despite the high risk for red cards??? ..and now, one bad and injured season and everybody said the man is garbagge, lets sell it for peanuts...didnt someone has read what Luciano Moggi has said about Juve Pre-montero and Post-montero?

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
    Montero will a 100% stay. If someone will leave, it will be Tudor, Birindelli or Iuliano. It would be unfair to let Montero go after just one bead season, because he was a rock in our defense and a main reason for our success. I remember the Barcelona game, when he was the main reason why we won.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    You will give Tudor one more season but you want Legro to leave after one?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't keep Tudor, but to boot Legro like that is a tad harsh don't you think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)