Speculation over captaincy (8 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Emerson and Cannavaro would make great captains, but the armband will go to someone who has been in the Juve ranks for a while.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by azzurri7 ] ++
Del piero and then Del piero ... No one will Replace him :p
:wallbang:

My choices would be out of Buffon, Nedved, Thuram, Zambrotta and Maresca. Oh wait :rolleyes::groan:

On the other hand, I don't really like the idea of a goalkeeper as captain, as they're not involved in the play as much and just don't seem to have as much opportunity to influence the team and lead then. Nedved and Thuram are on the wrong side of 30 now, but I think one of those two should be the captain until they retire, after which Zambrotta should take over. He may not be the most vocal player around, but he certainly leads by example, never gives up and has the stamina and fighting spirit of a tiger on steroids.

Emerson and Cannavaro would be fine choices for captain too, but like people have already said, I think the captaincy should go to a player who's been at Juve for some time.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I believe that captaincy should go to one of the heavyweights. Partly because Captain requires the respect from the players in like all animal kingdoms it is often decided by who is the top dog.
Secondly, I want my captain to be vocal, and point out to others what he demands from his squad.
In this sense, I dont think Zambrotta will make a good captain. Personally, I would give the armband to Neddy. For one thing, he will be proud to represent our team, and secondly he will serve it with distinction. Furthermore, he had experiences of leading a team before.
Nonetheless, I think Alex will keep his place in the team, and him being a Bianconero through and through, is really the one that deserve to the skipper.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #32
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
    It has to go to an Italian IMO.........

DP

Zamby

Canna
    This mentality I don't understand. You have a bunch of guys who train together, travel together, play matches together and generally spend a lot of time together throughout the whole year, they barely take breaks for short vacations. Some of them are fairly new (Cannavaro), some have been in the group for 10 years (Ferrara). I think needless to say they all know each other well (at least in terms of football qualities) and they are more than capabale of deciding who would make the best captain. So here's a guy who is popular in the group, has an undying winning mentality, is very good at getting them motivated but no, sorry bro you're not Italian, but if you get your agent/club to forge a passport for you like Veron and Recoba, it's all good. WTF?

Yes Juve is an Italian club :blah: but that's what we see, an Italian club. These guys don't care what nationalities they are, they just have a job to do together, with whomever Moggi picks arbitrarily. And since they're all in it together just as much, it makes no sense at all to discriminate by nationality. That would be just as dumb as making any kind of distinction between the people on this forum based on nationality. :doh:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++
    it should go to the oldest (not by age, but by years spent with juve) one on the pitch..
    And that would be Del Piero. So everything is ok :D

julio1011

Mar 3, 2004
    it's a tradition in juve and i think italian clubs to always give the captain armband to an italian....
    although i think nedved would make a great captain, he isn't italian.....so the armband would be handed to buffon or zambrotta or cannavaro....
    hopefully buffon could get it.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
    It would have to be either zambro, nedved, thuram or buffon.
    they are the most consistant and probably the players who will play most games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)