Speculation over captaincy (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Right, so assuming we have signed Zlatan, we now have Del Piero, Trez and Zlatan in the squad. If we imagine for a moment that Zlatan makes his mark and wins a place in the team, it could be at the expense of DP, because Trez is the only reliable goalscorer we have. If that were to happen, the question of captaincy would be up in the air. DP could not remain captain as a fringe player, so it would be passed on. The question is to whom, if you'll indulge me we'll find out in a minute. ;)

The candidates in order of preference:
*Del Piero - not a regular?
*Ferrara - not a regular, ruled out
*Tacchinardi - not a regular anymore?
*Pessotto - not a regular
*Montero - not a regular
Iuliano - not a regular
*Birindelli - not a regular
Zalayeta - not a regular
Tudor - wouldn't that be cool? :D
Zambrotta
Trezeguet
Nedved
Thuram
Buffon
Camoranesi
Chimenti
Legrottaglie
Appiah
Miccoli
Zebina
Cannavaro
Emerson
Blasi
Kapo
Olivera
Ibrahimovic

I put an asteriks at the names I *think* have captained at least once. Assuming that Tacchi lost his place to Blasi or Appiah, our next captain would be Zambrotta. And not a bad choice at all IMO, with his dedication, work rate and discipline. Next in line would be Trez, followed by the golden trio of Lippi's return (Buffon, Thuram, Nedved).

Comments/flames? :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Well Firstly I think Zambrotta would be a great captain but secondly I don't think Del Piero will be a bench player... at least not yet.

ADP Timers

Feb 4, 2004
I wouldnt mind seeing Nedved, now what 32 years old, I think he can still lead the team well.

Zambrotta as well would make a great captain for his hard work, and his great play ability.

But I feel the Del will keep the band for this year at least. I see Zlatan starting on the bench early on, and relieving Trez and Del during 2nd half. As the season goes on, he may be a good go to man if any injuries come up, or either are doing poorly, especially after Micco is now gone. I think this is a GREAT DAY for juve.

Zlatan/Cannavaro/Emerson, great trio of signings...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I would have to go with Nedved or Thuram. Nedved has this experiance at the international level, so he might be a good choice. Not sure about Thuram though, as he doesn't have this type of experiance. I don't think Zambrotta has the leadership qualities to be our Captain.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #12
    Nope, it's just based on seniority. Montero has captained for instance, as has Deschamps in the past (he was the vice cap).

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003

definitly to Nedved and then after him possibly Zambi. i think Tacchi will eventually get his place back in the team which will make him the captain again.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #17
    Seems I opened a difficult subject. So far little speculation and largely opinions or better yet keywords. The point here isn't whom you want as captain, it's who could be captain based on possible scenarios.

I for one think DP will hold onto it and should he lose his place it will slip to Tacchi but no further. Otherwise it could be one of the seniors but I can't imagine anyone but Montero possibly hold down a starting spot.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    If Del Piero loses his place then Zambrotta with Nedved as vice, but I don't see Alex being displaced in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)