[SPA] La Liga 2009/2010 (48 Viewers)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Oh of course Messi' displays have a lot to do with Ibra :howler:
Yes, probably they don't. Things simply start happening wherever Ibra goes, and it surely doesn't have anything to do with him at all. Things simply happen.

AS is a Madrid based newspaper btw. Actually, they're like a club newspaper for Real Madrid. A Barcelona player getting praises from them is a big deal.

May 22, 2007
Juan Cruz, a columnist in AS, said Ibrahimovic's play created space that his predecessor Samuel Eto'o, who went to Inter in a swap deal with Ibrahimovic last summer, would have been unwilling to relinquish.
"Generosity probably doesn't feature very highly in Ibrahimovic's character but he certainly plays in a way that opens up space that allow his team mates to penetrate more easily," Cruz wrote.
"Lionel Messi's game has improved with Ibrahimovic on the pitch," he added.

-----------------
Ok, so who's right and who's wrong?
I read in this forum that Messi is being frustrated with Ibra and how Zlatan is slowing down Barca etc. On the other hand, it's true that Messi is playing like he's never played before.
Yet another reporter fawning over Zlatan too much?

All this "opens up space" stuff is complete bullshit, players aren't put on the pitch to make room for others. I wonder why Juan Cruz doesn't remember last season when Barça were playing even better than this season, with Eto'o?

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
No matter who plays for Barca upfront, Messi is improving every week, everyday. Hell he even had his best performances this season when Ibra was out and Pedro was playing alongside him.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Yet another reporter fawning over Zlatan too much?

All this "opens up space" stuff is complete bullshit, players aren't put on the pitch to make room for others. I wonder why Juan Cruz doesn't remember last season when Barça were playing even better than this season, with Eto'o?
Playing even better with Eto'o :howler:

Could you give me examples? But think carefully and check some stats before you do.
Was Barca as a team playing better or was the whole team simply playing for the striker?

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Now that guy has failed to live up to the expectations and money splashed for him, some have to come and relate Messi' performances to Ibra playing alongside with him :D

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Forget about the stats, Barca were a far more convincing team last year.
The numbers don't say that.
And also, compare the motivation they had last year with this year's motivation. This year they can go 2:0 and 3:0 up and then they stop, trying to save energy. Last year they had whatever it was to prove and even at 5:0 they were going for more goals like mad.
Still, they didn't score much more goals last year (8 goals more overall compared to this season) and they won less points in La Liga after 29 rounds last year compared to this year.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Now that guy has failed to live up to the expectations and money splashed for him, some have to come and relate Messi' performances to Ibra playing alongside with him :D
And even more, a journalist who writes for a Real Madrid newspaper comes out to defend Zlatan instead of making fun of him and Barca for splashing so much money+Eto'o for Zlatan.

Ah, Capello. You made some people completely blind.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I'm talking about their performances last season not the results. They were playing better and they were much more convincing.
Why did they win less points then?
They weren't playing better. They were simply going for humiliation against everyone. This year they're playing it smarter and thus they're winning more points.

They have nothing to prove anymore. They proved that they are super strong by winning 6 trophies. It's always harder to defend those trophies the next year than it is to win them once. In order to do it they have to play smarter now and they're doing it. Also, it's a WC year so of course they won't go for the kill on every match and risk injuries and fatigue. Like I said, now they stop at 2:0/3:0. Last year they were gonna play like mad at 3:0 and go for 6:0.
They aren't worse this year. They're simply smarter.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Btw, are Inter also better this year?
I have barely watched them this season, I just know that they eliminated Chelsea in the CL and based on your theory they don't have much to prove in Serie A.

But I'm watching Barca almost every week. In the beginning of the season when Messi was out of form, Barca were struggling to win their games, they had problems in their CL group even though Ibra was the "one goal in each game" player back then. After a while, when Messi started to outshine the opponents, Barca started to play much better even when Ibra was absent. Ibra actually turned to a player who was an obstacle to Barca playing like their usual selves by slowing down their playing tempo and by losing lots of goal opportunities (even Kluivert had a laugh at that and Cruyff blasted him for that). Barca are playing better only and only because Messi is head and shoulders above almost every player in the world now no matter Ibra plays alongside him or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 48)