So Who Should Play for the Azzurri? (2 Viewers)

Tifoso

Sempre e solo Juve
Aug 12, 2005
We of Irish decent have the same thing. But it doesn't mean I'm trying to hawk Stevie Finnan's position on the NT.
And I respect your position. Many, many Italians here, while intensly proud of being Americans, are equally proud of their ancestry.

There are no clear answers. But this has been going on since the very beginnings of the WC in the early 1930's. For the interisti, who have 1 Italian national on the pitch, if they're lucky, to be putting up a stink about Camo would be hilarious, if it weren't so ludricrous.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
And I respect your position. Many, many Italians here, while intensly proud of being Americans, are equally proud of their ancestry.

There are no clear answers. But this has been going on since the very beginnings of the WC in the early 1930's. For the interisti, who have 1 Italian national on the pitch, if they're lucky, to be putting up a stink about Camo would be hilarious, if it weren't so ludricrous.
Indeed, but that's why this thread is so great, it opens the topic for discussion.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
This issue of nationality and oriundi, stranieri, etc...Personally, I don't take to the idea of choosing the country you play for based on ancestry, as I'm sure we can all derive ourselves to a certain nation. That's the beauty of diaspora...

Vinman poses a good point about the whole Italian thing, but I would imagine that he is part of American society, and that he is an American or Italian-American, no? Sure, we all grow up with unique cultural traditions, but we're also defined by our friends that we grew up with, right? I know it's hard to forge an identity in a population with a strong Italian background (where most of your friends are Italian by heritage), believe me, but I don't see myself as anything but a Canadian. This is the country that gave my grandparents opportunity, and this is why they gave up their Italian citizenships to become Canadians. Same goes for the millions of Italians flocked to Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Venezuela, etc...for success and opportunities, which were far and few in Italy. So wouldn't you feel you owe it to the country that provided for your family when your former nation threw your family by the wayside? Vinman, only you can define who you are...it's not up to me. I'm not knocking you or your family or Italians, because every background likes to keep their old country an arm's reach away over here. I agree, it's good to hang on to your cultural traditions and keep in contact with relatives because that defines your past and makes our countries unique (everyone brings something to the table, like good dinner company). However, in my opinion we are where we're settled.

I believe that choosing a nationality in the real world depends on what the person feels is right FOR THE INDIVIDUAL! What's stated above is what I feel is right, not what is right. For nationality in sport, in the case of Camoranesi's or any other case in football, the process has become selfish, trivial, and spur-of-the-moment. Mauro admitted that he feels Argentine and is obviously uncomfortable with his decision, yet he wears an Italian shirt. I think he realizes he wasn't being true to himself inside, and frankly I don't blame him because he was pressured into deciding within a short period of time. He had a better chance of becoming world-reknowned while wearing an Italian shirt rather than an Argentine one. Nationality in sport has become aimless and pointless...I'm afraid my post has as well. :D

Seriously, I lost my train of thought...:D

Boh, fuck borders...too many problems.

Apr 12, 2004
Any citizen, 1st generation or 40th is allowed to play, and should be. Point, period, and simple.

Amauri, if he gains citizenship, has just as much right as Delpie, Buffon, or Camo to play for the national side. After all, they are all citizens of the same country.

Half of you idiots need to think about what you are saying.

If this was all true, then both Altintop brothers should play for Germany, both Kovac brothers should play for Germany, and Podo and Klose for Poland.

Hell, if you want to think about it, and stop being fucking sock suckers, then there should be no American NT because most of us came to America later than Camoranesi's great grandparents arrived in Argentina.

So then does that make me German rather than American, Andy German rather than American, Enron Irish or Lithuanian rather than American?

If you hold citizenship to any country, you should play. Because is any citizen better than the next because his parents were here 20 years earlier?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
ßöмßäяðîëя;1596504 said:
Any citizen, 1st generation or 40th is allowed to play, and should be. Point, period, and simple.

Amauri, if he gains citizenship, has just as much right as Delpie, Buffon, or Camo to play for the national side. After all, they are all citizens of the same country.

Half of you idiots need to think about what you are saying.

If this was all true, then both Altintop brothers should play for Germany, both Kovac brothers should play for Germany, and Podo and Klose for Poland.

Hell, if you want to think about it, and stop being fucking sock suckers, then there should be no American NT because most of us came to America later than Camoranesi's great grandparents arrived in Argentina.

So then does that make me German rather than American, Andy German rather than American, Enron Irish or Lithuanian rather than American?

If you hold citizenship to any country, you should play. Because is any citizen better than the next because his parents were here 20 years earlier?
You forget the Czech bastard who got into my family circa 1940. :D

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
And one more thing that needs to be said.
Italians (be it the FIGC, Berlusconi, Moratti) do have a habbit to INVENT Italian grandparents or great-grandparents.
There are a loooooooot of players in serie A with dogdy Italian ancestry.

For me personally, it makes no difference if Camo has or doesn't have Italian grandparents. If he holds an Italian passport he is free to play for Italy.
But i'm completely against this "blood rule" thing that allows some to play and doesn't allow others to play for a certain NT. Camoranesi, who has so little "Italian blood" that he'll lose it the next time his nose will bleed, is NOT more Italian than someone who was born and raised in Italy, even though his parents are from Asia or Africa.
This being said, i'm also against giving passports like candies, just so someone could become eligible to play for a certain country.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
well for me it should be if you were born in a country you can play, for E.G. if you werent born in a country u must have grand parents from that country or else you cant play. i think thats pretty fair.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Italians (be it the FIGC, Berlusconi, Moratti) do have a habbit to INVENT Italian grandparents or great-grandparents.

For me personally, it makes no difference if Camo has or doesn't have Italian grandparents. If he holds an Italian passport he is free to play for Italy.
But i'm completely against this "blood rule" thing that allows some to play and doesn't allow others to play for a certain NT. Camoranesi, who has so little "Italian blood" that he'll lose it the next time his nose will bleed, is NOT more Italian than someone who was born and raised in Italy, even though his parents are from Asia or Africa.
This being said, i'm also against giving passports like candies, just so someone could become eligible to play for a certain country.
Exactly. In football, nationality really doesn't have any meaning anymore for this reason alone. It's a career advancement...

Apr 12, 2004

Word totally agree, and the bolded part is funny as fuck. :lol:

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
i have italian friends who i know for a fact will argue about this balotelli player saying he doesn't have italian blood, yet i also know that if for example he was french or spanish (white) they wouldn't have a problem i.e. it is because he is black to put it bluntly thye don't want him in the team

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Zidane was arugably the greatest player ever. He was of Algerian roots, but played for the French team. Damn those French for letting a non French blooded person play for their glorious team. If it was Italy, they would have never let this impure fool play for them, regardless if he was born there or not. He's blood is impure.

Vieira- Senegalese born, plays for France. Oh no he doesn't love France that's why se sucks so much for them right?

Claude Makelele- Born in Congo, plays for France. Oh no he doesn't love France, that's why he is such a bad player right?

Edgar Davids - born in Suriname, played for Holland.

Seedorf-- same as Davids

but you see, no one cares about them. It's ok if players from foreign origins want to play for other teams, but for Italy NOOOOOOOOOO. Because Italian blood is superior to everyone else. Hail Italy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)