So Who Should Play for the Azzurri? (1 Viewer)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Not to mention that the Italians themselves are pretty good at making sure you don't feel Italian, even with your citizenship papers in hand, your pedigree Italian citizenship of past relatives, and great fluency of the language.

If you weren't born and raised, you're a straniero. Like it or not.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #223
    Argentina's my anthem: Camoranesi

DUISBURG, Germany, June 14 (Reuters) - Italy's Argentina-born midfielder Mauro Camoranesi admitted on Wednesday he did not know the Italian national anthem and referred to the Argentine anthem as his 'own'.

Asked by reporters why he didn't sign the national anthem before Monday's 2-0 win over Ghana, Camoranesi said: 'I don't even sing my own national anthem".

'I don't know the (Italian) anthem but my children sing it. At the World Cup though I am Italian, the decision to play in this shirt has been taken and it doesn't make any sense asking me whether I would rather be here in the Argentine shirt,' said Camoranesi.

The Juventus winger moved to Italy to play for Hellas Verona in 2000 and made his debut for Italy in February 2003 after gaining dual nationality.

Camoranesi, whose great-grandparents were born in Italy, has never denied he considers himself still to be an Argentine and when he was invited to play for Italy said: 'I have an Italian passport but that is not enough for me to feel Italian.'

The midfielder's call-up by former Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni was criticised in some quarters although he is the 36th player of dual nationality to wear the Italian shirt and the 17th Argentine.

There have also been nine Uruguayans and five Brazilians who have played for the Italian national side, a Scottish-born striker, Giovanni Moscardini who played in the 1920s and a South African, Eddie Firmani, who made three appearances in the 1950s.

At the World Cup in 2002, Italy's players were widely criticised for the failure to sing the 'Inno di Mameli' but after pressure from politicians most players now make an effort

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=371118&
    Thank you for that, Alen.

Therefore, all the arguments here are void and Camoranesi is not an Italian. End of Mauro's story.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #224
    So, what are people going to say now? Is it still alright for Camoranesi to play for the Azzurri? Surely he didn't know his GREAT grandparents.

And if people want to consider Camoranesi as an Italian, they will have to subscribe to the heritage logic people oh so readily detested. Fact is, if Mauro can play for Italy, I can surely play for Poland now because my great grandparents were Polish.

Indeed, the only solution is to be open to citizenship no matter who you're talking about based on the assumption they will gain citizenship.

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
    So, what are people going to say now? Is it still alright for Camoranesi to play for the Azzurri? Surely he didn't know his GREAT grandparents.

And if people want to consider Camoranesi as an Italian, they will have to subscribe to the heritage logic people oh so readily detested. Fact is, if Mauro can play for Italy, I can surely play for Poland now because my great grandparents were Polish.
    Ive read stuff saying parent/grandparents/great grandparents.

How do we know which is reliable?

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    I dont want to tread on any toes,but I think Camo's status as a Juventus star makes a lot of people here support his decision to play for the NT.How many people who are not fans of the Azzuri,support Camo's decision to play for the Italian NT?Not many i think.Im a die hard Azzuri fan,im not Italian,but i think Camo shoudnt be allowed to play for the Italian NT,especially since he has said,in very clear words,that he considers himself Argentine.Andy's right here.Im not Italian,so im probably not angry at these words,but do you expect Italians to take Camo's words nicely?I dont think so.

Plus,had Camo not been a Juventus player,and had Stefano Fiore been a star player at Juventus,im sure people would have cursed Camo when he got selected for the Italian NT because he was a direct threat to Fiore's place in the squad.

How many people here support Osvaldo here?Not many i think.But make him wear a Juventus jersey,and the number would see a significant increase.

Im sorry,but the Juventus love plays a big factor here.If Amuari had been at Juventus,played in the Serie B with us..people wouldnt have been against him playing for the Italian NT.Had Camo not been at Juventus,his supporters on this forums would have been very few.Read the Fiore example again.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    I dont want to tread on any toes,but I think Camo's status as a Juventus star makes a lot of people here support his decision to play for the NT.How much people who are not fans of the Azzuri,support Camo's decision to play for the Italian NT?Not many i think.Im a die hard Azzuri fan,im not Italian,but i think Camo shoudnt be allowed to play for the Italian NT,especially since he has said,in very clear words,that he considers himself Argentine.Andy's right here.Im not Italian,so im probably not angry at these words,but do you expect Italians to take Camo's words nicely?I dont think so.

Plus,had Camo not been a Juventus player,and had Stefano Fiore been a star player at Juventus,im sure people would have cursed Camo when he got selected for the Italian NT because he was a direct threat to Fiore's place in the squad.

How many people here support Osvaldo here?Not many i think.But make him wear a Juventus jersey,and the number would see a significant increase.

Im sorry,but the Juventus love plays a big factor here.If Amuari had been at Juventus,played in the Serie B with us..people wouldnt have been against him playing for the Italian NT.Had Camo not been at Juventus,his supporters on this forums would have been very few.Read the Fiore example again.
    Im sure Fiorentiina fans feel similar about Amauri as Juve fans to with Camo. Both are great players in my book and I'd have them at Pool with open arms or for the USA.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #229
    Francesco Toldo has blasted Mauro Camoranesi's decision to play for Italy.

Many pundits and players from Italy and Argentina have publicly opposed the South American’s choice of the Azzurri shirt above that of his home nation.

“I only hope Camoranesi’s is an isolated incident,” commented Azzurri second choice 'keeper Toldo. “All I say is keep Italy for the Italians.”

“The team must be representative of its national identity,” continued the Inter star. “To give the shirt to a foreigner, even if he does have Italian great grandparents, is a delicate situation that must be evaluated.”

Camoranesi is eligible to play for either nation due to his Italian heritage, but it is believed he only chose Giovanni Trapattoni’s outfit because Argentina hesitated in picking him for international duty.

“If Camoranesi is chosen,” added Toldo, “then nothing would change for me and I would adapt to the situation. But I think this could prove difficult for the fans to identify with.”

This is the latest voice in a chorus of disapproval that includes Gabriel Batistuta, Paolo Di Canio and Mathias Almeyda.

www.soccerage.com

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #231
    I dont want to tread on any toes,but I think Camo's status as a Juventus star makes a lot of people here support his decision to play for the NT.How many people who are not fans of the Azzuri,support Camo's decision to play for the Italian NT?Not many i think.Im a die hard Azzuri fan,im not Italian,but i think Camo shoudnt be allowed to play for the Italian NT,especially since he has said,in very clear words,that he considers himself Argentine.Andy's right here.Im not Italian,so im probably not angry at these words,but do you expect Italians to take Camo's words nicely?I dont think so.

Absolutely. Certainly another factor.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Francesco Toldo has blasted Mauro Camoranesi's decision to play for Italy.

Many pundits and players from Italy and Argentina have publicly opposed the South American’s choice of the Azzurri shirt above that of his home nation.

“I only hope Camoranesi’s is an isolated incident,” commented Azzurri second choice ‘keeper Toldo. “All I say is keep Italy for the Italians.”

“The team must be representative of its national identity,” continued the Inter star. “To give the shirt to a foreigner, even if he does have Italian great grandparents, is a delicate situation that must be evaluated.”

Camoranesi is eligible to play for either nation due to his Italian heritage, but it is believed he only chose Giovanni Trapattoni’s outfit because Argentina hesitated in picking him for international duty.

“If Camoranesi is chosen,” added Toldo, “then nothing would change for me and I would adapt to the situation. But I think this could prove difficult for the fans to identify with.”

This is the latest voice in a chorus of disapproval that includes Gabriel Batistuta, Paolo Di Canio and Mathias Almeyda.

www.soccerage.com
    But Toldo doesn't start for Inter.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #233
    Alright, here it is again:

Fiore: Camoranesi should go - June 12, 2004

Another row has broken out in the Azzurri camp after Stefano Fiore criticised Mauro Camoranesi’s decision to play for Italy.

“In my opinion,” said the Lazio midfielder, “a player should think only of wearing the jersey of his own country. Italy has enough stars to cover every role and we have no need to look elsewhere.”

This is not the first time that Fiore has come out to condemn Camoranesi’s decision to play for Italy, even though he was born in Argentina.

The Juventus man qualifies for Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad due to Italian great grandparents and only made the choice after Argentina failed to call him for international duty.

Fiore has a vested interest in this situation, as he has been pushed out of the starting eleven by Camoranesi. He was also far from impressed with suggestions Trap will give everyone a chance to shine by making massive changes for the third and final qualifying game against Bulgaria.

“To play the third match when we’re already qualified,” sniped Fiore, “would be nothing short of humiliating. I am nobody’s reserve. I don’t ask for explanations, so all I can do is try to change Trapattoni’s mind.”

The 29-year-old has impressed at Lazio this season, but Trap has chosen to stick with Camoranesi for tactical reasons.

“I didn’t come to Portugal for a holiday,” he continued. “If I’m on the bench then I’ll be disappointed, as until I see the official team sheet I will maintain hope of being in there.”

http://www.socceritalia.net/applica...r2.asp?ItemID=1085&pcid=12&cid=41&archive=yes

That's it, game over.

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
    Look Andy, can you read or what?

You can throw sources around all you like, doesnt mean YOURS are reliable does it. Unless you are mates with Camo.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #237
    Juventus completes deal for Camoranesi

AP Worldstream
    Date:
    June 27, 2003

Copyright information Provided by ProQuest LLC.

Dateline: TURIN, Italy Italian league champions Juventus completed the purchase of Argentine winger Mauro Camoranesi, holder of an Italian passport, from second divison squad Verona, according to a statement on the team's Web site Friday.

The club paid US$5.7 million for Camoranesi in a deal that saw Verona send Camoranesi to play for Juventus last season where he netted four goals for the Turin side.

Camoranesi, whose great-grandparents were born in Italy, recently ...

AP

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-74923762.html

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #239
    Juventus completes deal for Camoranesi

AP Worldstream
    Date:
    June 27, 2003

Copyright information Provided by ProQuest LLC.

Dateline: TURIN, Italy Italian league champions Juventus completed the purchase of Argentine winger Mauro Camoranesi, holder of an Italian passport, from second divison squad Verona, according to a statement on the team's Web site Friday.

The club paid US$5.7 million for Camoranesi in a deal that saw Verona send Camoranesi to play for Juventus last season where he netted four goals for the Turin side.

Camoranesi, whose great-grandparents were born in Italy, recently ...

AP

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-74923762.html
    AP ASSOCIATED PRESS... AP ASSOCIATED PRESS... I WONDER IF THEY'RE GONNA LIE?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)