So Who Should Play for the Azzurri? (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2007
But what if he had ancestors that lived in "Italy" prior to 1861?
Nothing would happen would it? Both parents are Brazilian.

Not exactly. You inherit your nationality from where you're born and where you live. You can grow up in an orphanage in Romania and your parents could be Chinese, but you aren't Chinese because you can't even speak the language.

There are loopholes to all these arguments. But not one. The blood argument.

We all have the same blood.
I know someone who has a French mother, and English father. He was born in England, but has a French passport and considers himself French. Speaks English better than French as well. Can't decide for him can you?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Nothing would happen would it? Both parents are Brazilian.

I know someone who has a French mother, and English father. He was born in England, but has a French passport and considers himself French. Speaks English better than French as well. Can't decide for him can you?
That doesn't really help your argument.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
It's really simple. If you live in a county for x number of years and gain a passport that says you are Italian, or American, Or Spanish (you get the point) and if you can travel around the world with that and if you can are subject to country x's culture, language, taxes, politics and life then playing for the national team of x is no different.

And I can't understand this "if player x is not from country A, not B, then he does not love country B as much as country A" .....this argument is flawed. First of all you don't know how much said player loves a country. Look at fans here for example. A lot of people have no Italian roots, yet they love the Azzurri more than they love their own teams. second, most players these days are professionals. They want to play well for whatever team they play.

this argument about a player playing for for team B because he got rejected by team A is also flawed. Players do not get paid for representing their national team (at least not in the big teams) they do it for love, pride and personal glory. If Amauri decides to play for Italy it's because he wants the best for himself, which naturally would mean helping whatever team he plays for win cups. So how can this be bad for Italy if a good player helps them win?

Also I do find this argument of "the only reason player x plays for country A is because he got rejected by country B so he should not play there" really stupid. Hey maybe if I an employer and the next time a really good potential employee comes my way I should not hire him even though he is great, because he wants to join only because he got rejected by another company.

Maybe I should not go out with girls because the only reason they would go out with me is because they could not date Brad Pitt

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #25
    Well, by your argument he should play for England then.

What if Amauri speaks better Italian than Totti or Mazternazi?

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
    But if Camoranesi can play for the Azzurri, why can't Amauri? Lets say that Mauro didn't even know his grandparents and leave it at that. Therefore, he has no connection to Italy whatsoever. And better yet, Mauro probably only wanted to play for the Azzurri because Peckerhead of Argentina wasn't going to call him up.

If Camo can suit up for the Azzurri, so can Amauri.
    If his parents, parents are Italian, I think that is a connection.

The thing is though, Amauri is a Brazil team reject, surely you can see that?

He isnt picked for Brazil, so he has this mentality that many Brazilians have. "If Brazil wont pick me, i'll play for someone else". Just like Eduardo, Deco, Pepe many, many others.

Why does it matter if im Italian or not? My opinion still counts doesnt it?

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #27
    It's really simple. If you live in a county for x number of years and gain a passport that says you are Italian, or American, Or Spanish (you get the point) and if you can travel around the world with that and if you can are subject to country x's culture, language, taxes, politics and life then playing for the national team of x is no different.

And I can't understand this "if player x is not from country A, not B, then he does not love country B as much as country A" .....this argument is flawed. First of all you don't know how much said player loves a country. Look at fans here for example. A lot of people have no Italian roots, yet they love the Azzurri more than they love their own teams. second, most players these days are professionals. They want to play well for whatever team they play.

this argument about a player playing for for team B because he got rejected by team A is also flawed. Players do not get paid for representing their national team (at least not in the big teams) they do it for love, pride and personal glory. If Amauri decides to play for Italy it's because he wants the best for himself, which naturally would mean helping whatever team he plays for win cups. So how can this be bad for Italy if a good player helps them win?

Also I do find this argument of "the only reason player x plays for country A is because he got rejected by country B so he should not play there" really stupid. Hey maybe if I an employer and the next time a really good potential employee comes my way I should not hire him even though he is great, because he wants to join only because he got rejected by another company.

Maybe I should not go out with girls because the only reason they would go out with me is because they could not date Brad Pitt
    Indeed, good post. It's also funny that people bring us these arguments about loving Azzurri while they cheer on Camoranesi in Azzurri when he doesn't even know the National Anthem.

What happens if Amauri knows the anthem by heart and Mauro doesn't? Does that mean Mauro is less Italian?

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005

Bloom! Agreement.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005

He isnt picked for Brazil, so he has this mentality that many Brazilians have. "If Brazil wont pick me, i'll play for someone else". Just like Eduardo, Deco, Pepe many, many others.

If you don't have Italian blood then it doesn't matter to you because you don't love Italy.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #30

STOP CALLING HIM A REJECT. It's dumb. Brazil is the greatest football nation in the world, surely you can see that? They have thousands of great players to choose from.

Yet that idiot Donadoni picks players like Gilardino who is utter crap right now. Amauri is better than pretty much every striker Italia has right now yet Azzurri fans still call him a "reject." It's just stupid.

Every single Italian striker barring Del Piero would be a Brazilian "reject" right now, so don't give me this rubbish.

Perhaps that's because Brazil has thousands of talents to choose from?

And again, you'd have no problem if the new Maradona wanted to play for Italy.

Ohh, it does matter my boy. It does.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    STOP CALLING HIM A REJECT. It's dumb. Brazil is the greatest football nation in the world, surely you can see that? They have thousands of great players to choose from.

Yet that idiot Donadoni picks players like Gilardino who is utter crap right now. Amauri is better than pretty much every striker Italia has right now yet Azzurri fans still call him a "reject." It's just stupid.

Every single Italian striker barring Del Piero would be a Brazilian "reject" right now, so don't give me this rubbish.

Perhaps that's because Brazil has thousands of talents to choose from?

And again, you'd have no problem if the new Maradona wanted to play for Italy.

Ohh, it does matter my boy. It does.
    Hmmm... aren't Eduardo, Deco, and Pepe pretty close to world class in their perspective "countries".

May 22, 2007
    That doesn't really help your argument.
    I can't actually see what a Chinese kid who lives in Romania has to do with Balotelli, Amauri or Camo if Im being honest.

Would rather keep to that discussion than go off on about whether we should class people as Chinese if they are in Romania.

Lion

King of Tuz
    Jan 24, 2007

and guess what? they happen to be fantastic players both their world class clubs and National teams. So where is the harm?

But no perhaps when selecting player for Azzuri, we should do it based on a test of how much knowledge you have of Italian culture, language and such instead of foot ability. Maybe this way we can see true real lovers of Italy be selected. After all if Bonera is more passionate about Italy than Chiellini then Bonera should go for the national team :rolleyes:

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    I can't actually see what a Chinese kid who lives in Romania has to do with Balotelli, Amauri or Camo if Im being honest.

Would rather keep to that discussion than go off on about whether we should class people as Chinese if they are in Romania.
    It was an analogy.

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
    Look, when was the last time you watched Brazil? They DONT have this wealth of strikers to choose from that you seem to think they do. Look at the options please if you have single clue about them. Vágner Love, Afonso Alves etc. These are not great players.

Brazil has many great players, for sure, but if you look strikers are not their best area by any stretch. It is their weakest area. Yet, they still overlook the almighty Amauri?

If you think Pepe is world class then you really are short of a clue.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #39

The discussion is about the rules in general. These rules are applied to all FIFA nations and there are loopholes in everything.

Now, if we want to use your birthplace as one of the rules for where you can play, Claudio Gentile could not play for Italy because he was born in Tripoli and spent about a year there.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #40
    Look, when was the last time you watched Brazil? They DONT have this wealth of strikers to choose from that you seem to think they do. Look at the options please if you have single clue about them. Vágner Love, Afonso Alves etc. These are not great players.

Brazil has many great players, for sure, but if you look strikers are not their best area by any stretch. It is their weakest area. Yet, they still overlook the almighty Amauri?

If you think Pepe is world class then you really are short of a clue.
    This is just really dumb.

What, you think Amauri is a terrible player because he wasn't called up by Dunga? Who cares! Doesn't matter whatsoever.

The brilliant Donadoni didn't call Del Piero up recently... does that mean Del Piero is an "Italian Reject"? :shifty:

It doesn't mean anything. And what matters is that Amauri is better than most Italian strikers whether he's been called up for whatever NT or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)