Simone Zaza (4 Viewers)

How many Goals will Zaza score this season?

• 0-5

• 5-10

• 10-15

• 15 +

• All of them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
What kind of fucked up logic is to sub in someone at 120th minute only to take a penalty?
What? It makes perfect sense, especially taking out a CB who's not quite good with the ball, let alone taking penalties. You never know how penalties might end up, it might be 9-9 and Chiellini's place to take a penalty which could be a disaster. I've seen coaches sub in penalty takers dozens of times and it was always a sound logic. Italy had plenty of mediocre players on the pitch and I was scared to see them handle penalties. If you had a 36yo Del Piero warming your bench you wouldn't put him on in 120th minute? I know sure as hell that I would. Had he scored last night people would praise him, rightfully so. It was just a bad night for Zaza and that pen was absolutely horrible.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
What? It makes perfect sense, especially taking out a CB who's not quite good with the ball, let alone taking penalties. You never know how penalties might end up, it might be 9-9 and Chiellini's place to take a penalty which could be a disaster. I've seen coaches sub in penalty takers dozens of times and it was always a sound logic. Italy had plenty of mediocre players on the pitch and I was scared to see them handle penalties. If you had a 36yo Del Piero warming your bench you wouldn't put him on in 120th minute? I know sure as hell that I would. Had he scored last night people would praise him, rightfully so. It was just a bad night for Zaza and that pen was absolutely horrible.
+1, nothing to add here. It could very well go another way and all will be prizing Conte and Zaza. Even with highest quality players you need a good portion of luck to win penalties.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
there were other players beside Zaza who would have been a better choice. Admittedly I chuckled when I saw the sub.

But I am still against bringing on players just to take penalties since they need to feel the pitch, spend some time on the ball, unless they are extraordinary penalty takers, which Zaza certainly is not.

If you had a 36yo Del Piero warming your bench you wouldn't put him on in 120th minute?
Dude, DP was one of the best penalty takers of his time.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
there were other players beside Zaza who would have been a better choice. Admittedly I chuckled when I saw the sub.

But I am still against bringing on players just to take penalties since they need to feel the pitch, spend some time on the ball, unless they are extraordinary penalty takers, which Zaza certainly is not.
That's fine. But here's what you said: What kind of fucked up logic is to sub in someone at 120th minute only to take a penalty?

You didn't mention Zaza just a general option which imo makes no sense.

However it was a big night. You never know who might miss and who might score. You've seen great takers miss it for Germans.

Not much to add imo. Germans went through and Italy gave them hell with a squad that's mediocre. Oh and... Conte is a genius.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
That's fine. But here's what you said: What kind of fucked up logic is to sub in someone at 120th minute only to take a penalty?

You didn't mention Zaza just a general option which imo makes no sense.

However it was a big night. You never know who might miss and who might score. You've seen great takers miss it for Germans.

Not much to add imo. Germans went through and Italy gave them hell with a squad that's mediocre. Oh and... Conte is a genius.
In the post you quoted I again stated that I'm against it. Unless we're taking about extraordinary spot taker. It's nonsensical if someone hasn't touched the ball to just bring him on to take penalties against one of the best, prolly the best team, when it comes to penalties.

Germans went through and Italy gave them hell with a squad that's mediocre. Oh and... Conte is a genius
Deserves all the credit. What he pulled out with one of the worst Italian teams I've witnessed is nothing short of heroic.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Genuinely one of the worst pens I've ever saw. He attempted some nonsense that frankly his talent doesn't merit.

If he was my teammate and he did that I would have punched him in the face.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Genuinely one of the worst pens I've ever saw. He attempted some nonsense that frankly his talent doesn't merit.

If he was my teammate and he did that I would have punched him in the face.
The shot itself wasn't so much off target. The only thing that made it look awful was the theatrical build up.

Pelle's penalty was much worse IMO.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
The shot itself wasn't so much off target. The only thing that made it look awful was the theatrical build up.

Pelle's penalty was much worse IMO.
I agree but at least with Pelle he put in a shift and worked hard for the team, Zaza was brought on specifically for pens.

Apr 15, 2006
How do you explain the numerous examples of substitutes scoring only minutes after getting onto the pitch, some with their first touch of the ball? If what you're saying is true, they must be really lucky, right? Cos surely, that's a lot tougher than hitting the target from the penalty spot.

Right?

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
To be fair, this tournament hasn't been a complete failure for him. His assist against Sweden was crucial for us to even get here. I hope the experience helps him grow and become better and stronger.
that assist was the reason we played Spain and Germany to begin with (instead of Hungary and Wales) so it was a failure too :D

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Zaza does not have a good technique. Imo, players with high technique [f.e. Del Piero, Zidane, Nedved] have a higher chance of scoring a penalty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)