Simone Pepe (13 Viewers)

Should Juve buy Pepe in the summer?

• Yes, he's useful

• No, we don't need him

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 22, 2007
Conte is talking as if his only winger is injured.

I know he isn't that popular on this forum but I get the impression that people have forgotten how useful he was to the squad and he'll bear the brunt of criticism when he returns, and doesn't perform to that same level.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Say what you will about the guy's limitations, but there is something that is intangible to this squad.

When Conte first took ever, Pepe was one of those players that epitomized the toughness and grit that Conte looks for in a player, and that attitude that Pepe brought was infectious. The undefeated squad of that season was not the most talented squad in Serie A, but they had the most heart.

Last year's squad was simply more talented than everyone else, so his loss was not felt as much

This year is different though. Serie A has made leaps and bounds in terms of quality, and teams that had the talent but lacked the proper direction (Roma and Inter) are starting to live up to the abilities of the players.

Juve is still probably the most talented team in Serie A, but when the playing fields are level, you need that something extra. You need that type of player that will run into a brick wall for you, shake his head a few times, and do it again.

That is the type of player that Pepe is. I'm not trying to make him out to be a world beater, but he brings that grinta and energy to the squad that is lacking right now, and he is anythiong but a liability out there.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Energy is the key thing.

Giaccherini was also very good at injecting that last season when he came on in games.*

*In no way am I going to suggest it was a mistake to sell Giaccherini.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
He was never that good tho. Won everyone's heart because he worked hard and had some really nice goals but let's face it, most of the time he was mediocre.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
He was never that good tho. Won everyone's heart because he worked hard and had some really nice goals but let's face it, most of the time he was mediocre.
Say what you will about the guy's limitations, but there is something that is intangible to this squad.

I'm not trying to make him out to be a world beater, but he brings that grinta and energy to the squad that is lacking right now, and he is anythiong but a liability out there.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Energy is the key thing.

Giaccherini was also very good at injecting that last season when he came on in games.*

*In no way am I going to suggest it was a mistake to sell Giaccherini.
I actually think it was a mistake to sell Giaccherini. Him and Matri were our two best bench players.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Why not?

There's more to putting a team together than just having a bunch of gifted players.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting Pepe is the answer to Juve's problems.

I do think a lack of energy/enthusiasm/drive is a significant problem for Juve just now.

Not as big a problem as them being determined to shoot themelves in the foot every time the opposition crosses the halfway line, but still a significant problem.

May 22, 2007
i wasn't responding to anyone in particular, just saying why conte's comments about bringing pepe back make no sense. but still, imo he's nothing but a bench player. the grinta isn't enough for him to play 90 minutes.
He was talking about which systems are available to him, he wasn't calling Pepe the saviour as people have interpreted.

dann10

Ho visto Del Piero
Aug 26, 2008
As unlikely as it is, would be awesome to see pepe return and help get us out of this slump, then see him score the winner against madrid at the juventus stadium.

I like to fantasize alot...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)