Show us your desktops! (13 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I told you its kinda daunting!! Just fiddle around and stuff don't worry you won't break anything. The only nausiance I got from playing around is that windows don't focus anymore, I get an error and it just stays in the background. A bit of googling solved it;)
You've showed me this now I want it on my real desktop, my gentoo box :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
It would, except I have an ATI card *expletitive deleted* and it could very well be a show stopper. I imagine there are ways around it but I'm not to keen on hacking myself there if the standard install doesn't work.

PS. Never buy ATI cards.

That's before I saw the beryl settings :shocked2:
Well the whole project has advanced hugely in the past year or so, just compare the desktop I posted back then and the one I just posted. It was hell back then, your windows borders suddenly disappear, slowdowns crashes and no fallback window manager :wallbang:

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
I soon realized beryl don't work out the box cause ATI is a bitch, so I have to install xgl in place of xorg. Thought so.
All this ATI, Nvidia BS is kinda confusing me. So in order to get the best out of these cards I should install XGL? or is it with Beryl only??

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
All this ATI, Nvidia BS is kinda confusing me. So in order to get the best out of these cards I should install XGL? or is it with Beryl only??
Rule: Binary only drivers = baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Nvidia, ATI = only binary drivers

Nvidia drivers = decent

ATI drivers = crap

Ps. It actually works w000t. Have to figure out how to start it up tho.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
something like:

1. start xgl
  2. start beryl wm
  3. start kde without crashing because wm alreay running

Hacked together something real quick here, but starting up beryl-manager seems to crash it, have to investigate

Actually installing xgl/beryl wasn't that bad though, expected worse.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
something like:

1. start xgl
  2. start beryl wm
  3. start kde without crashing because wm alreay running

Hacked together something real quick here, but starting up beryl-manager seems to crash it, have to investigate

Actually installing xgl/beryl wasn't that bad though, expected worse.
Now if you could only convince Jack :D

Beryl is a must for a Linux evangelist, trust me I know;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)