Short Interview with Roberto Bettega (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2003
Okay, since he was our ex player I hope I'm not in the wrong section to post this :) (this is done by a malaysian reporter in Turin after the Juve-Chievo match)

Vice president of Juventus Roberto bettega (who scored 129 goals in 326 matches) was the second star player who joined the Juve board upon retiring from the pitch. The first was Giampiero Boniperti who became president in July 1971 after playing 459 matches and scored 179 goals. These are the highlights of the interview with Bettega :

On why Juventus linked up with Nike:

It was the right choice for both of us because we had the same objectives. They were looking for a global brand, we wanted to be a global brand. It was a long talk, but it will be a long marriage.

On whether Juventus' plan to have football academeis worldwide will produce Asian players for the Serie A:

Nakata was in Italy to learn the Juve style of football. With our academies, kids from ages 8-16 will learn the Juve style where they live, whether it is in Tokyo or Osaka. They will learn the style similar to those who are in Turin. The aim of the project is for the players not to move and to practise where you live. Being a part of the Juventus academy, if the player is good, Juve will have first option to have the player. The target is have no difference between the quality of Turin coaches and those in Japan, China or Canada.

On which player will be the star:

(Alessandro) Del Piero is very famous. We have probably the best goalkeeper in the world (Gianluigi Buffon) and the winner of Golden Ball for European Footballer of the Year Pavel Nedved. We cannot choose anyone. It is up to the supporters. The market will say which will be the right one.

On the secret behind Juve's success:

The secret is the family. I don't know any other club with the same property for more than 80 years and I believe for the next 80 years too. I was in Juve when I was 9 in 1960 and was a little boy learning from the same academy that we want to spread around the world. I was lucky to be part of this history. When I say family, I mean continuity.

People said after Platini, Juve will go down, but no, Juventus is always there. Even with different players or managers, Juve will be there because of the continuity of the family, the tradition. It is the only name that will not change.

On whether Del Piero will join the board when he retires:

Don't forget that this is a team. There are more than 60 persons working for one target- Juventus. Before I became vice president, there was another great player who became president. If the next one is Del Piero, there will be another continuation, another tradition, but it is his choice in part and Juve's choice in part. In my case it wasn't as if I finished playing and said now I want to be vice president. I went to the States to play football, I spent 8 years on TV and my business and suddenly Juve made a phone call. It will be the same for Del Piero. Maybe it is his dream. It is up to Juve to choose. I will be happy if Del Piero will be with Juve in another way different from being a player.

Can Juve win the Serie A again?

Of course, why not. It is not easy to win three times, but everything is possible.

On the leaky defense

We won 1-0 against Chievo so the problem is already over.

On whether the defence is ageing

In the last two years, we had the best defence in the league. We don't make a balance sheet in the middle but the end of the season. Then at that point we can see if someone is too old or too young. Even if they say there are too many goals, we are still ready to win all three (Serie A, Champions League and Italian Cup.) Right now, it is a problem, but not a mortal problem.

On why the deal with Nike is for such a long time (12 years)

It was not possible to grow with academies all over the world in two years. We need more than five years to have academies in Canada, Asia, the US and Africa. When we want to grow together, we want a long term deal to open stores. The deal is worth 190mil euros over 12 years.

on cash strapped clubs

It is happening not only in Italy. Look at Spain and even in Germany. In England, leave aside Manchester United, then I don't know. We are already doing something. What is important is that we will close positive and give dividents to shareholders.

on Russian money flowing into Chelsea

For somebody it was good. Nobody can say you can't spend your money. The problem is you have the money. But we are not following that. We are following our own targets.

On Juve's chances of winning the CL

At this point, you cannot make any mistake. You must play in right way and try to win. Of course, Real, MU, and Milan will be there.

THE END :)

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Thanks a lot Salilah :cool:

++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
With our academies, kids from ages 8-16 will learn the Juve style where they live, whether it is in Tokyo or Osaka.
Oh great, Tokyo or Osaka!!! :eek:

:irritate::rolleyes: yeah, thanks for only mentioning one asian country :down:

Len

Feb 13, 2004
Signore Bettega,
Our defense problem isn't solved.
4!!!!!
Does that remind u guys of anything?

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
On the secret behind Juve's success:

The secret is the family . I don't know any other club with the same property for more than 80 years and I believe for the next 80 years too. I was in Juve when I was 9 in 1960 and was a little boy learning from the same academy that we want to spread around the world. I was lucky to be part of this history. When I say family, I mean continuity.

:thumb:

Tina

Aug 21, 2003
great interview it shows strength of juve even not in the perfect times.

i loved to see DP as juve chairperson

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by paulo ] ++
They are both Asian countries.
I think he meant that both Tokyo and Osaka are in the same country and he would like to hear that they plan to invest elsewhere than just Japan.

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
I think he meant that both Tokyo and Osaka are in the same country and he would like to hear that they plan to invest elsewhere than just Japan.
Mhm...I'm sure he just screwed up.:stuckup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)