SF 1 | Portugal - Holland (3 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
In honor of Erik, I hope I don't step on toes here starting this obvious next thread. (Let me do it justice.)

Portugal: My sentimental favorite to win it all. The host's advantage. The so-called Golden Generation, and yet it's largely been its youth -- particularly in the image of its FC Porto regulars, just off the CL victory -- that have made the difference in this tournament. They've come from behind in the group stage and then against England. They almost play more like Italy than the Italians -- with solid defense and fierce ball control. But with a tournament high 84 shots, they yet have one of the lowest shots-on-target percentages (28%) in the tournament. Therein lies their Achilles heel. Not to mention NT stalwarts, such as Figo, who might questionably help the team more on the bench than on the pitch.

Holland: My bet-my-house favorites to win it all at the start of the tournament. Part aging squad, part youth squad. With question marks at left back and even some at right back. Van der Meyde may be proving why Inter has left him on the bench most of last season, but Robben has picked up the pace. An attacking midfield that knows how to create chances. And certainly the tournament's last of the most dangerous, if not altogether slippery, strikers in Van Nistelrooy. They've shaken off the penalty shoot out curse -- perhaps a must when facing a controlling team that constricts scoring chances like Portugal.

You make the call...

-

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Oh damn Greg, you kicked my arse there with that pre-match analysis :D

I truly hope Holland will win it (naturally) but it will be extremely difficult against the hosts who proved this tournament they are by no means a push-over.

Advocaat needs to take off Cocu and replace him with Sneijder I think. It also wouldn't hurt to replace Van der Meyde with Overmars and perhaps Reiziger with Heitinga, in case Overmars can't cover the flank then we have an excellent long-ball passer in Heitinga.

In conclusion, Advocaat, I like you very much so could you please follow up on my advice. I'll explain it one more time:

+
+
=TROPHEE

Thank you Amsterdam, goodnight! :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I have my hopes set on Denmark and/or Greece right now but if we were to meet them in the final I can just erase everything written above and immediately type "Holland / Czech Republic = 2nd place". You're right there :D

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
Im foreseeing a re-match Czech-Holland for the finak game. It has been, until now, the best match of the eurocup.....

with a final victory for Pavel's boys.......

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
@Erik,i heard that Overmars can't play a whole 90 minutes anymore,is that true?
He can't no - playing on the wing takes A LOT of input and Overmars is ageing. But after 70 minutes or so he could be subbed for Makaay, who could play more to the centre but to Van Nistelrooij's right. Or Overmars could be subbed for Van Hooijdonk, then we would play with one winger (Robben) and Heitinga's excellent long passes could be headed through by Van Hooijdonk to Van Nistelrooij, who could finish the job.

And that's just two alternate ways that I would use.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I'm agreed with those Erik. Van Der Meyde is very average at the minute, he's not really creating a great deal. Plus sneijder is in my dream team and he's on the bench every game :lazy:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I say: legal goal from Holland disallowed and Nuno Gomes to score for Portugal after an assist from Rui Costa. Portugal to win 1-0.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
This should be a great match and I don't know which side I'm going to back. With Italy out the Czech Republic are my boys, but I also respect and am fond of Portugal and Holland. May the best team win, then.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Holland didn't really convince me against Sweden. But you can't deny the fact Portugal are quite lucky to be here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)