Sevilla: Puerta had heart attack (1 Viewer)

Nejc

May 13, 2006
It would cost them a fortune in the end. Because at that rate not only the heart needs to be examined, but a full body check is necessary. And clubs like Sevilla already do a lot of medical exams on a player. You quite simply cannot test every football player out there on every freak medical condition. Besides, there are also things that happen over time, so if you want to go through with this, perhaps a weekly exam would be necessary..

At some point we need to accept people die. That's just the way it is. Puerta's death is nobody's fault. It's a tragedy, no doubt, but accusations towards Sevilla, the FIFA and the world of football in general are out of order.

As a sidenote: Puerta's heart actually was examined, yet there were no signs of a possibly lethal heart condition and he got the clear ...
since you know something about that, how hard is to find a problem with a heart?
I play footbal in slovenian u18 league, and I have to do a medical test before every season(I am just planning to do it tommorow), my teammate can't play
because he has a problem with his heart and it was found at this short medicat test for sport license, I don't know how it is at professional football, but I think that they have the same or probably more advanced tests and probably more often, so they should find problems like that

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
since you know something about that, how hard is to find a problem with a heart?
I play footbal in slovenian u18 league, and I have to do a medical test before every season(I am just planning to do it tommorow), my teammate can't play
because he has a problem with his heart and it was found at this short medicat test for sport license, I don't know how it is at professional football, but I think that they have the same or probably more advanced tests and probably more often, so they should find problems like that
I talked to my dad about it today, because I'm always very interested in sports injuries. I didn't want to face the 7 years of med school that don't interest me though :D.

But apparently he spoke to a friend of his, who deals with athletes who have heart problems. Seems like some conditions are easy to find, whereas others are not. Also, it's not because you have a condition that you test positive on every test. It means you might test positive. Puerta was unlucky enough to test negative. Therefore, he says, they need to do extensive testing and need to push the athlete to his physical limits. Which they perhaps didn't do in Puerta's case. But like I said, Puerta had some minor incident in training. Hardly something you look that much deeper into. I doubt any physician would have.

I know for a fact that general medical exams do not examine the heart that much. Perhaps people would like to believe they do, but Tiago was not tested on every possible physical condition there is.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
It would cost them a fortune in the end. Because at that rate not only the heart needs to be examined, but a full body check is necessary. And clubs like Sevilla already do a lot of medical exams on a player. You quite simply cannot test every football player out there on every freak medical condition. Besides, there are also things that happen over time, so if you want to go through with this, perhaps a weekly exam would be necessary..
Seven you right in pointing out that the cost of full examination has to be taken into account. I totally agree on that. There is cost to everything in real world. But my belief is that instances involving low probability, such as heart attack, people simply believe doesnt think it can be them, when in terms of population, one them have to carry such defects. I am not going give you details on my points, since it will bore every single member here, and people complain that I write too long anyway, but that is pretty much established psychological fact. So in case of people not taking heart test, well, I think there are many people who should dont do so. In fairness, I am just guessing here, since I havent got solid statistics on sports related injuries, but given the general tendency of people, rare diseases such as genetics, heart, and cancer, players should be given thorough checks.

Hell, both of my parents are doctors and do you think I've ever had an examination of my heart?
I think it is different with players. Unlike very intelligent person like you, players have to live by their physique. So it is more natural for them to give extra care to their body. The problem here is that regarding heart and genetics, if players are found to have certain deficiencies in this respect, they will be pretty useless to team anyway. So team will natural ignore more life-threatening injuries likes these and give inappropriate weight to more result related injuries such as leg, and foot. Players health injuries are important to the team based on the premise that they are useful to them. I know its cold, but that is business.

As a sidenote: Puerta's heart actually was examined, yet there were no signs of a possibly lethal heart condition and he got the clear ...
I read that Puerta collapsed couple of times whilst in training with Spanish National Team, and Sevilla. I am not going to provide a link since its a different language, so you will have to take my words for it. Obviously, it is extremely difficult to diagonse what exactly caused the collapse, in which case, it is probably natural for doctor to suggest, barrig exceptional circumstances, to say it was one-off random event. Hindsight is 20/20 no doubt, but you cant say Puerta case didnt have any warnings.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
"when you die, I will love you" It's an Armenian say to those who "praise" the dead as he was a great person, while they hated him/her all their life.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Gilem Ballague who is the Spanish correspondent for sky sports in the Uk said that Spain does not take medical tests as seriusly as they do in Italy, which is apparently the best in the world at doing those kind of tests and thats 1 of the reasons behind this painful death of a young man.

The rigourous tests in Italy helped kanu, fadiga and other players as you hardly hear about an Italian based player having a heart attack cos if you have a defect their tests would locate it.

They have been calling for years in Spain to take such tests seriously but they have declined till now...

They have promised to follow Italy's lead in doing rigorous tests, here hoping

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
Gilem Ballague who is the Spanish correspondent for sky sports in the Uk said that Spain does not take medical tests as seriusly as they do in Italy, which is apparently the best in the world at doing those kind of tests and thats 1 of the reasons behind this painful death of a young man.

The rigourous tests in Italy helped kanu, fadiga and other players as you hardly hear about an Italian based player having a heart attack cos if you have a defect their tests would locate it.

They have been calling for years in Spain to take such tests seriously but they have declined till now...

They have promised to follow Italy's lead in doing rigorous tests, here hoping
I did not thoutht that Italy could have the best

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)