Sevilla: Puerta had heart attack (6 Viewers)

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
Sevilla: Puerta had heart attack

Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido has revealed wing-back Antonio Puerta had a heart attack in his side's game against Getafe.

Puerta is in a "very serious" condition in intensive care after collapsing in his own box after 35 minutes of Sevilla's Primera Liga opener.

The Spain international had walked off the pitch following the incident but then collapsed again in the changing rooms and was taken to the Virgen del Rocio hospital in Seville.

Del Nido says Puerta is stable but admitted the 22-year-old suffered a heart attack at the Sanchez Pizjuan during Saturday's 4-1 win over Getafe.

"He had a heart attack. He's in intensive care and is stable," Del Nido told Cadena Ser radio.

"We were scared, very scared, for the life of the player."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_2686981,00.html

Do you think he is able to continue playing football?I think there will be always a risk if he continues.What do you think?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Must be pretty doubtful as to whether he can ever play again, don't know if tests can confirm if it was an isolated incident or if it is likely to happen again. Real shame if he hs to retire, but he sounds lucky to be alive.

Hope it doesn't distract Sevilla from beating Milan.

OP
Marceℓℓo

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
  • Thread Starter #5
    Don't know if it's likely to happen again but if yes he should definitely retire before he end up like Foe or Feher. But I guess he is clever enough to decide that.

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    This new trend of players having heart-attacks should be investigated. It doesn't seem right that a 22 year old athlete has a heart-attack 35 mins into a game. Marc Vivian Foe and Feher can't have been accidents. Thank God Puerta is stable now. But look at Wrestling and the shit that's happening with the wrestlers, steroids must be the reason. Here in Lebanon a famous Nigerian basketball player died a few years back from a heart-attack, steroids.
    Fifa and Uefa need to intervene.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    This new trend of players having heart-attacks should be investigated. It doesn't seem right that a 22 year old athlete has a heart-attack 35 mins into a game. Marc Vivian Foe and Feher can't have been accidents. Thank God Puerta is stable now. But look at Wrestling and the shit that's happening with the wrestlers, steroids must be the reason. Here in Lebanon a famous Nigerian basketball player died a few years back from a heart-attack, steroids.
    Fifa and Uefa need to intervene.
    A good number of pro wrestlers take steroids, pain killers, and many, many recreational drugs

I think the heart attacks suffered by football players is more down to heart defects that aren't diagnosed by the team's physicians.

Football is one of the toughest sports on the human body, specifically to the heart, with the extreme anerobic and aerobic aspects of the game, and if a player has any sort of defect, there is a good chance it could trigger a negative reaction

I hope Puerta fully recovers, and is able to play in the future :pint:

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Whatever the reason I wish best of luck to Puerta, who I havent seen many times, but looked technically very gifted player with excellent future.

I don't think decision is necessarily that of intelligence. If Puerta walks off from the field, he will be loosing a lot of his personal pride, which he should have plenty because of his excellence in his profession, and financial wealth. Seriously how many guys here will walk off 5-6m Euro or perhaps even more in the region up to 10m (which I believe is a reasonable personal valuation for Puerta), when your career just started and you havent got enormous personal wealth. I think most logical choice is that he should take a good consultation with a doctor, get a surgery if necessary, and health permitting to a reasonable degree, he should play. Money doesnt mean everything, but it means a lot, and player can only be fully happy on the pitch playing the game he loves.

Best of luck to Puerta.

malducato1

Dec 26, 2005
    Didn't Kanu have a heart problem also early on in his career, If memory serves correct he went to the states to get an operation and is still playing I believe.

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
    Whatever the reason I wish best of luck to Puerta, who I havent seen many times, but looked technically very gifted player with excellent future.

I don't think decision is necessarily that of intelligence. If Puerta walks off from the field, he will be loosing a lot of his personal pride, which he should have plenty because of his excellence in his profession, and financial wealth. Seriously how many guys here will walk off 5-6m Euro or perhaps even more in the region up to 10m (which I believe is a reasonable personal valuation for Puerta), when your career just started and you havent got enormous personal wealth. I think most logical choice is that he should take a good consultation with a doctor, get a surgery if necessary, and health permitting to a reasonable degree, he should play. Money doesnt mean everything, but it means a lot, and player can only be fully happy on the pitch playing the game he loves.
    Best of luck to Puerta.

erm...let's hope he lives, first

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    erm...let's hope he lives, first
    Yes Vinman I hope he lives. But I just dont find it realistic that we can leave all that amount of money on the table and take most safest rute. Players are (1) often come from poorest background, (2) rarely have university education, and (3) high school diploma for that matter, even if they do have a diploma their grade wont be good enough to allow them to study in higher education.

I don't personally know Puerta but if he satisfies the profile of average player, than his chances in life, from the moment he had heart attack, dwindled unimaginable degree, and any reasonable human being won't give up their job just like that. He will try to come back no doubt, may even get a surgery, and I hope not only he comes back, but comes back in style.

And let us pray that Sevilla will be kind enough to good retirement package or insured him properly, so in case he doesnt come back, he can live a good life. But you are right, his health is def. priority.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    A good number of pro wrestlers take steroids, pain killers, and many, many recreational drugs

I think the heart attacks suffered by football players is more down to heart defects that aren't diagnosed by the team's physicians.

Football is one of the toughest sports on the human body, specifically to the heart, with the extreme anerobic and aerobic aspects of the game, and if a player has any sort of defect, there is a good chance it could trigger a negative reaction

I hope Puerta fully recovers, and is able to play in the future :pint:
    The thing is, millions of people play football. It's by far the world's biggest game. Naturally some players, as there are so so so many, will suffer from undetected heart conditions.

And yes, the game can be quite tough to the heart, so it's only normal these things happen. It would be great if they could be prevented, but assuming that something is off, that the player was taking drugs of any kind truly is a rash conclusion.

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
    The thing is, millions of people play football. It's by far the world's biggest game. Naturally some players, as there are so so so many, will suffer from undetected heart conditions.

And yes, the game can be quite tough to the heart, so it's only normal these things happen. It would be great if they could be prevented, but assuming that something is off, that the player was taking drugs of any kind truly is a rash conclusion.

I don't think it is down to drugs with pro soccer players (wrestling is a different story all together)

What puzzles me most is with all the testing team physicians do to the players these days, that any defects of the heart could go undetected.

I read an article about Sevilla a few months back, and they have a full time endocrinologist monitoring the players diets, metabolism, and energy levels during games...and he even has a special drink that the players consume at halftime, filled with all sorts of vitamins, minerals, etc, to bring a players energy levels back to the pre-game levels (which could be part of the reason that Sevilla looks so fresh late in games).

This is real big business, and for any problems to go un-noticed these days is nothing short of negligent

On an unrelated note, Milan just discovered the reason why Ronaldo has such a tough time losing weight (besides his poor diet).

Ronaldo has hypothyroidism (under active thyroid), and that explains why he has weight problems. It surprises me that no other team ever discovered this...all it takes is a simple blood test to find out

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    I don't think it is down to drugs with pro soccer players (wrestling is a different story all together)

What puzzles me most is with all the testing team physicians do to the players these days, that any defects of the heart could go undetected.

I read an article about Sevilla a few months back, and they have a full time endocrinologist monitoring the players diets, metabolism, and energy levels during games...and he even has a special drink that the players consume at halftime, filled with all sorts of vitamins, minerals, etc, to bring a players energy levels back to the pre-game levels (which could be part of the reason that Sevilla looks so fresh late in games).

This is real big business, and for any problems to go un-noticed these days is nothing short of negligent

On an unrelated note, Milan just discovered the reason why Ronaldo has such a tough time losing weight (besides his poor diet).

Ronaldo has hypothyroidism (under active thyroid), and that explains why he has weight problems. It surprises me that no other team ever discovered this...all it takes is a simple blood test to find out

I thought that was complete bull when I first heard about Ronaldo, but recent pictures make me think twice. He looks really thin. Seems like Milan did a great job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)