Seven against the world (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
A funny series of posts from a few years ago within this thread..

Hypothetical situation here, Andy:

terrorist succeed in another attack and slaughter 1000 Americans. But Bush is removed and America's foreign policy becomes less agressive than the one we know today.

Worth the sacrifice? I'd probably say so. Just look at the numbers. Bush has killed more people (Foreigners AND Americans) than 9/11 ever did.
Yet terrorists will continue to attack people all over the world...nothing is really solved and people will continue to die. The situation will just continue to escillate.
Let's say the IRA blows London all to hell and the UK pulls out of Northern Ireland, then 90% of Belfast gets butchered because the British are not there to stop it. Was it worth all those lives so a piece of land the size of a postage stamp (Ulster) could become an independant cemetary?

I don't know. Ask someone who gives a crap.
Of course I we're only speaking hypothetically and I'm not sure he would be removed after another attack on big scale. But I'm pretty sure that's what most Europeans would do with their leaders since it's pretty clear that he only made matters worse.
You were speaking hypothetically? I thought your supposed brother was speaking hypothetically..
BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!

Seven, I was willing to believe that "your brother" was posting, but alas you have lost my trust. You must know that to be a good liar you must have a good memory. You sir, are a bad liar.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Andy are you actually familiar with weather futures?
I'm no expert but yes I'm familiar. The University I attend just started a new option in the meteorology major called Weather Risk Management, and that will be my option. It's intriguing that the monetary value of weather futures traded on the CME increased by billions of dollars within just a couple years. All the economists I know believe that weather derivatives is where everything is going, especially with the possibility of climate change.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
I'm no expert but yes I'm familiar. The University I attend just started a new option in the meteorology major called Weather Risk Management, and that will be my option. It's intriguing that the monetary value of weather futures traded on the CME increased by billions of dollars within just a couple years. All the economists I know believe that weather derivatives is where everything is going, especially with the possibility of climate change.
Weather derivatives??

I admit this is a new thing to me...

The last things I knew were forwards, futures, options & swaps..

Could you tell me, Andy, how that works?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
you are indeed correct, and if you do end up going ahead with that chances are you ll end up here; btw i interned for 6 months at the merc when i was in college
I would love to work in Chicago at the CME, but most weather risk management firms are located nowhere near the Chi. I'm not exactly sure what sort of personel they have inside the exchange as I bet most of the advice given by meteorologists such as myself require more resources than what's available on the floor at the CME. Although it would be pretty cool to work within all that hustle and bustle.

What exactly did you do at CME?

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
it's pretty straight forward really, speculators put forth insurance for weather related industries such as energy companies
Thanks. I left this science since 2004, and didn't get updated since then.

It's really remarkable how it's developing all the time finding new instruments and exchange markets...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Weather derivatives??

I admit this is a new thing to me...

The last things I knew were forwards, futures, options & swaps..

Could you tell me, Andy, how that works?
Weather derivatives are basically financial instruments used by weather dependent firms to reduce risk due to specific weather conditions. For instance, a farmer can use a weather derivative to hedge against risks caused by freezing temperatures that could potentially ruin his crop. They're also essentially like insurer's insurance in some cases.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I would love to work in Chicago at the CME, but most weather risk management firms are located nowhere near the Chi. I'm not exactly sure what sort of personel they have inside the exchange as I bet most of the advice given by meteorologists such as myself require more resources than on the floor at the CME. Although it would be pretty cool to work within all that hustle and bustle.

What exactly did you do at CME?
i worked there during the height of the eurex craze; half the time i shadowed a senior trader who actually owned a seat at the merc the other half i researched into ways to counter the eurex invasion of the american secondary market

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Weather derivatives are basically financial instruments used by weather dependent firms to reduce risk due to specific weather conditions. For instance, a farmer can use a weather derivative to hedge against risks caused by freezing temperatures that could potentially ruin his crop. They're also essentially like insurer's insurance in some cases.
Nice. I guess energy & construction corporations are getting much bigger benefit out of that. Farmers can use agricultural insurance to do the same job IMO.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
i worked there during the height of the eurex craze; half the time i shadowed a senior trader who actually owned a seat at the merc the other half i researched into ways to counter the eurex invasion of the american secondary market
That's interesting. How exactly did you get the internship and what was your major in college?

I can't say I really know much about futures markets as I'm taking my first futures and derivatives class in the Fall, but the explosion of weather into trading has really started to get me into it.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
That's interesting. How exactly did you get the internship and what was your major in college?

I can't say I really know much about futures markets as I'm taking my first futures and derivatives class in the Fall, but the explosion of weather into trading has really started to get me into it.
I got it through one of my professors, i majored in japanese and finance with a concentration in derivatives. but you re definitely onto something here though i think you might have to take a couple of derivatives classes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I got it through one of my professors, i majored in japanese and finance with a concentration in derivatives. but you re definitely onto something here though i think you might have to take a couple of derivatives classes
Yeah indeed, I believe I have to take three, with one Meteo course specializing in weather derivatives. I'm finding this so intriguing that I'm spending free time researching what job opportunities this new field of weather derivatives is creating. Unfortunately, though, since it's so new there really isn't much information.

I'll tell you what though... there aren't many people who specialize in both weather forecasting and derivatives in general...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)