Serie A: Sampdoria vs Juventus [May 17, 2008] (1 Viewer)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I hope both share it. But I would believe its more special to Del Piero because he has never gotten it before like Trez, or gotten close it as often as Trez.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Atalanta-Genoa: Tommasi
Cagliari-Reggina: Pinzani
Catania-Roma: Saccani
Empoli-Livorno: Trefoloni
Lazio-Napoli: Velotto
Milan-Udinese: Rosetti
Parma-Inter: Rocchi
Sampdoria-Juventus: Valeri
Siena-Palermo: Stefanini
Torino-Fiorentina: Farina

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Why are we suddenly cheering against Trez? I hope Trez scores 2 and DP scores 1. The capocannoniere title is more important to Trez than it is to Del Piero. Trez won't be going to the Euros, whereas Del Piero will get his spot.
I get ur point by I like DP alot more than Trez and it would be a shame to see him retire without ever being top scorer.

Arvin

Juve Star
Dec 30, 2004
Serie A Preview: Sampdoria-Juventus

What: Serie A - Matchday 38
Who: Sampdoria (6th, 59 points) vs Juventus (3rd, 71 points)
When: Sunday 18 May 2008, 15:00
Where: Stadio Luigi Ferraris, Genoa

Almost A Friendly

With both Sampdoria and Juventus already having reached their respective objectives, this is a match both sides will approach in a relaxed mood. Sampdoria recently ensured they would play in the Uefa Cup after both Inter and Roma reached the Coppa Italia final, while Juve have been sure of finishing third for a while now.

Both clubs can look back on a satisfying, even memorable season. Sampdoria were coming off a couple of really disappointing seasons, but this time, after a so-so start, they surprised many with a very consistent level of performance, especially at home. Much of that was thanks to Antonio Cassano, who's had something of a resurgence this season after his nightmare spell at Real Madrid.

Of course, they also have to thank coach Walter Mazzarri, who came over from Reggina and turned Samp into a well-oiled squad with a lot of team spirit. For some obscure reason though, the coach doesn't seem to be on very good terms with the management and his future at the club is in doubt.

Claudio Ranieri has done equally well with Juventus, who were coming from Serie B but nevertheless managed to get a number of prestigious results (beating the likes of Milan, Inter, and Roma), and maintain a high-level position in the table for most of the season. He is one Serie A coach whose short-term future is certainly not in the balance.

This will probably be the type of game where the big-name players get a rest (goalkeeper Gigi Buffon has already indicated he won't play in this game) and we'll see some young Primavera players make their debuts. It could either be an entertaining, free-flowing match or a completely lifeless affair; it remains to be seen how it will turn out.

FORM GUIDE

Sampdoria

11/05 (Serie A): Palermo-Sampdoria 0-2
04/05 (Serie A): Sampdoria-Roma 0-3
27/04 (Serie A): Fiorentina-Sampdoria 2-2
20/04 (Serie A): Sampdoria-Udinese 3-0
13/04 (Serie A): Reggina-Sampdoria 1-0

Juventus

11/05 (Serie A): Juventus-Catania 1-1
04/05 (Serie A): Siena-Juventus 1-0
27/04 (Serie A): Juventus-Lazio 5-2
20/04 (Serie A): Atalanta-Juventus 0-4
16/04 (Serie A): Juventus-Parma 3-0

TEAM NEWS

Sampdoria

Goalkeeper Luca Castellazzi, Sergio Volpi, Ikechukwu Kalu, Stefano Lucchini, and Claudio Bellucci are out injured.

Possible formation (3-5-2): Mirante; Gastaldello, Sala, Accardi; Maggio, Sammarco, Palombo, Franceschini, Pieri; Cassano, Bonazzoli.

Juventus

Jorge Andrade, Vincenzo Iaquinta, and Cristiano Zanetti are out injured, while Zdenek Grygera, Antonio Nocerino, and Mauro Camoranesi are suspended.

Possible formation (4-4-2): Belardi; Salihamidzic, Legrottaglie, Chiellini, Molinaro; Marchionni, Sissoko, Tiago, Nedved; Del Piero, Trezeguet.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Antonio Cassano (Sampdoria)

Although he's had a fine season on his return to Serie A, scoring 9 goals and providing a number of fine assists, it probably won't be good enough to make it into Italy's Euro 2008 squad. If it hadn't been for a recent incident where he insulted and threatened a referee, which led to a five-match ban, things might have been different. As things stand, he still has to show the necessary maturity to be considered a truly great player.

Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus)

In this game the iconic Juve captain will battle it out with his partner David Trezeguet for the Capocannoniere title, which is quite remarkable. Currently they are joint top scorers with 19 goals, along with Genoa's Marco Borriello. This season was easily one of Del Piero's best ever, and it would be an injustice if he is not included in Roberto Donadoni's squad for the Euros.

PREDICTION

Sampdoria-Juventus 2-2

Danilo Pochini

www.goal.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #94
    Andries, don't make it drama. I love Trezeguet a lot, but It's only the right time to see Ale winning this.

David doesn't need to prove that clown Dom that he should be selected.

Joaco

the cronopio
    Dec 11, 2005
    Why are we suddenly cheering against Trez? I hope Trez scores 2 and DP scores 1. The capocannoniere title is more important to Trez than it is to Del Piero. Trez won't be going to the Euros, whereas Del Piero will get his spot.
    I'm agree on that :tup:

I'm cheering for Trezeguet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)