[Serie A] Roma 1-2 JUVENTUS [January 12th, 2019] (1 Viewer)

vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Sarri: 'Juve tried to sit on lead'
by Football Italia1 minute ago
Maurizio Sarri maintains Juventus “played well for 60 minutes, but tried to sit on our lead rather than increase it” in a 2-1 victory away to Roma.
This win, along with Inter’s 1-1 draw against Atalanta last night, means the Bianconeri are alone on top of the Serie A table at the halfway stage and are therefore crowned Winter Champions.
Their result was achieved within 10 minutes, when Merih Demiral met a free kick and Cristiano Ronaldo converted a penalty.
“We played well for a good 60 minutes, and suffering at the Olimpico against Roma is almost inevitable,” the coach told Sky Sport Italia.
“What I did not like is that we tried to sit on our lead rather than increase it, as three times we had three-against-one counter-attacks and didn’t finish them off.
“We did well for long periods, so I am happy with the result, but we tried to pass it inside our own half when in the lead rather than push it forward.
“I don’t think the long ball is a great idea, partly because we don’t have many strikers who are strong in the air, but also because it can get us 6-7 goals per season, but I believe will also lead to us conceding another 10.
“There are risks with our passing game, but what we need to do is pass the ball in order to go forward, not just to keep hold of it for no reason.
“We got too deep towards the end and that inevitably became dangerous. I prefer to defend 30 metres further forward, so I also tried to change the system in order to change that.”
Paulo Dybala seemed very irritated when he was substituted by Gonzalo Higuain.
“I couldn’t care less, to be perfectly honest. The game was telling me to do certain things and I had to make decisions. Paulo can give his response on the field, but it’s pretty normal. I’ve never seen a player leave the pitch looking happy with the idea.”
Sarri was asked about the performances of Aaron Ramsey and Adrien Rabiot, who are playing more now with Rodrigo Bentancur suspended and Sami Khedira injured.
“They are improving game by game, so I am pleased with them both, but they also have margins for improvement. Aaron was also able to score a few goals at Arsenal, as it’s in his DNA to run forward between the lines.
“It’s not easy for him in Serie A and he had a series of fitness issues. We knew that we’d have to wait for him and I am pleased that our patience is paying off. I am convinced the same will be said of Rabiot.”

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
So sorry about Demiral.Zaniolo too but I am broken for Merih.He is a champion.This injury cannot came in worse time having in mind that was excellent.

Juventino2019

May 1, 2019
Maurizio Sarri maintains Juventus “played well for 60 minutes, but tried to sit on our lead rather than increase it” in a 2-1 victory away to Roma.
This win, along with Inter’s 1-1 draw against Atalanta last night, means the Bianconeri are alone on top of the Serie A table at the halfway stage and are therefore crowned Winter Champions.
Their result was achieved within 10 minutes, when Merih Demiral met a free kick and Cristiano Ronaldo converted a penalty.
“We played well for a good 60 minutes, and suffering at the Olimpico against Roma is almost inevitable,” the coach told Sky Sport Italia.
“What I did not like is that we tried to sit on our lead rather than increase it, as three times we had three-against-one counter-attacks and didn’t finish them off.
“We did well for long periods, so I am happy with the result, but we tried to pass it inside our own half when in the lead rather than push it forward.
“I don’t think the long ball is a great idea, partly because we don’t have many strikers who are strong in the air, but also because it can get us 6-7 goals per season, but I believe will also lead to us conceding another 10.
“There are risks with our passing game, but what we need to do is pass the ball in order to go forward, not just to keep hold of it for no reason.
“We got too deep towards the end and that inevitably became dangerous. I prefer to defend 30 metres further forward, so I also tried to change the system in order to change that.”
“I couldn’t care less, to be perfectly honest. The game was telling me to do certain things and I had to make decisions. Paulo can give his response on the field, but it’s pretty normal. I’ve never seen a player leave the pitch looking happy with the idea.”
Sarri was asked about the performances of Aaron Ramsey and Adrien Rabiot, who are playing more now with Rodrigo Bentancur suspended and Sami Khedira injured.
“They are improving game by game, so I am pleased with them both, but they also have margins for improvement. Aaron was also able to score a few goals at Arsenal, as it’s in his DNA to run forward between the lines.
“It’s not easy for him in Serie A and he had a series of fitness issues. We knew that we’d have to wait for him and I am pleased that our patience is paying off. I am convinced the same will be said of Rabiot.”

Sarri always complains about things he is directly responsible for.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Our game management under Sarri needs an awful lot of work.
He has zero flexibility during games. And his one track minded main plan of highly imposing attacking possession game is nowhere to be seen with Juve. So you have a coach that cant manage games on the spot during games, and his main idea and approach is not working well enough.

What do you get? Just squeaking by on pure quality alone.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

If Allegri said something like this about subbing Dybala, the whole forum would be in meltdown about Max alienating Paulo, forcing him to ask for a transfer, and losing the locker room. lol

The forum did this anyways every time Max subbed Dybala and he looked unhappy. Max didn't have to tell the press he didn't give a shit.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Only tough away game left is Napoli (if they somehow regain some form lol). We play Inter, Atalanta, Roma, Lazio at home in the second half. Should be a stroll to the scudetto now.
Agreed, but still nervous about how we face settled defences with this slow moving possession game. Will take like 2 draws or so to lose track again.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
If Allegri said something like this about subbing Dybala, the whole forum would be in meltdown about Max alienating Paulo, forcing him to ask for a transfer, and losing the locker room. lol

The forum did this anyways every time Max subbed Dybala and he looked unhappy. Max didn't have to tell the press he didn't give a shit.
We’ve lowered the bar.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
He has zero flexibility during games. And his one track minded main plain of highly imposing attacking possession game is nowhere to be seen with Juve. So you have a coach that cant manage games on the spot during games, and his main idea and approach is not working well enough.

That ~65th minute double sub, in a 2-1 match with the other team starting to dominate is one of the worst subs I've seen.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
We did not deserve to win. But a little common sense is not that much to ask from the referees. If Alex Sandro didn't handle the ball, it was going out for a corner. This way his handball kept it in and even allowed a 100% chance for Cengiz Under and it went out for a corner. So, even if one can argue if that was a deliberate handball or not, what they should be looking at is what did he prevent with the handball. The answer is a corner kick and Roma still got a corner kick like 1 second later.
He handled the ball inside the box, and with hand outward in almost deliberate fashion. Clear PK imo. It shouldn't matter that he was stupid enough to keep the ball in with his hand, to save it from corner, and even give Under chance to shoot in narrow angle.

He handled the ball in clumsy way inside the box.

Saw Smalling get pk against him with exact same scenario just recently.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
He has zero flexibility during games. And his one track minded main plain of highly imposing attacking possession game is nowhere to be seen with Juve. So you have a coach that cant manage games on the spot during games, and his main idea and approach is not working well enough.

The bottom line is.
Coaches can't change Juve's mentality.
Juve changes the mentality of coaches.
Hardly surprising since we have a lot of Champions in the team.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
ACL fears for Zaniolo

Football Italia
Roma star Nicolò Zaniolo has been taken by ambulance for tests at the Villa Stuart clinic after a potentially serious injury and initial reports suggest a torn ACL.
He had run past several Juventus players during this evening’s Serie A match at the Stadio Olimpico when he went down on the edge of the area.
There seemed to be relatively little contact, but his right knee appeared to buckle and he was stretchered off in tears.
The 20-year-old was taken directly by ambulance to the Villa Stuart sports injury clinic in Rome, which would suggest the medics fear a torn anterior cruciate ligament.
His Mother rushed to be by his side at the clinic and there are initial reports suggesting he could have surgery tomorrow morning.
However, he was then spotted leaving Villa Stuart in his mother's car and walked to the vehicle without crutches.
Zaniolo is a key player for Roma, contributing six goals and two assists in 23 competitive games this season.
He is also one of the candidates to start for Italy at Euro 2020 this summer.
Was really sad to see him go down. Such a wonderful player. I truly hope his Euro chances isnt effected by this.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Seriously? FUCK. Thought it was minor when he got up and almost ready to come back in (he wanted to do a Klay Thompson).
Latest reports say that tests for a sprain in his knee are expected tomorrow.
No torn acl confirmation till now like in Zaniolo's case.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Collateral ligament injury / torsion & risk of cruciate ligament rupture for Merih Demiral. [Sky]
Fucking hell. We can't catch a break.

Hope this doesn't ruin his career.

- - - Updated - - -

Latest reports say that tests for a sprain in his knee are expected tomorrow.
No torn acl confirmation till now like in Zaniolo's case.

Fiu

- - - Updated - - -

That sky quote made it sound like it's confirmed. Idiots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)