[Serie A] Monza 1-2 Juventus [1st December, 2023 20:45 CET] (2 Viewers)

vote?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
That's the funny thing. Keeping the match with so few events hurts us alot. Because if we miss our chances we risk dropping points.

Imagine doubling that chart. 1 xg to 6 xg? The match is surely won at that point. We might concede a goal but probably score 3 or 4
the endless debate of football

look at this though: https://fbref.com/en/comps/Big5/Big-5-European-Leagues-Stats

1701524779475.png

jj is 3rd in xga, 19th in xg, above attacking teams like arsenal, brighton or spurs.

there's nothing wrong with the amount of chances jj creates. what's wrong is that we have to create too many chances to score one, and we immediately give up on attacking after the 1st goal. i'd have zero issues with trying to win 2-0. nothing wrong with defending either. sitting back at 1-0 is way too risky on the long run though, especially in cup competitions you can't get away with that shit.

and of course you can't have 6 xg on avg.

Buy on AliExpress.com

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
the endless debate of football

look at this though: https://fbref.com/en/comps/Big5/Big-5-European-Leagues-Stats

1701524779475.png

jj is 3rd in xga, 19th in xg, above attacking teams like arsenal, brighton or spurs.

there's nothing wrong with the amount of chances jj creates. what's wrong is that we have to create too many chances to score one, and we immediately give up on attacking after the 1st goal. i'd have zero issues with trying to win 2-0. nothing wrong with defending either. sitting back at 1-0 is way too risky on the long run though, especially in cup competitions you can't get away with that shit.

and of course you can't have 6 xg on avg.
Well we have more matches played so we're higher than some teams. But I understand the point.

Theres alot of context as well like opponent strength (epl vs italy) and set piece luck.

I have no problem defending at 2-0. At 1-0 with an hour left it's way too risky. I believe it's correct to keep the events high at that point because you still have time to win if you concede as you push for 2-0.

Against Monza we won because we have a physically superior player Rabiot. So it's more correct to give him more events IMO. There is nothing Monza can do.

There's also the game theory between draws and victories. 1 W and 2 L is the same as 3 D.

Shutting off vs Inter was incorrect IMO. We had to go for it at home.

Allegri has lost balance. He was never this timid.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
...I have no problem defending at 2-0. At 1-0 with an hour left it's way too risky...

....Shutting off vs Inter was incorrect IMO. We had to go for it at home.

Allegri has lost balance. He was never this timid.
100% agreed on these points

we still created much more vs monza in the first half and should have had a 2-goal lead. defense was almost perfect too, they had 1 shot on target during 90 minutes. anyway, bottom line is that corto muso not only makes you look weak, it's too risky from a practical/pragmatical pov

mourinho broke allegri. he never was this cautious before that home loss vs utd when we won the game by every possible metric, they still scored two at the end. one of the biggest clichés in life is that you have to learn to let go. allegri should read a bit more of coelho lol

Last edited:

juventus4life

Apr 21, 2012
Defend an early goal is not a right thing to do. Not every week we can have last minute goal like this. Look at Rugani desperation, you can tell that even players don't want to play risky like this. The funny thing is when we attacked after Monza scored, we got a goal. Then why didn't we attack earlier?

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I wouldn't blame Tek here. Gatti decided to go for the ball, missed it, and in the process McKennie lost his man who ran behind Gatti. Then the Monza guy had an open goal but he somehow missed the ball. Tek had just a second to be prepared for 2 different situations - that Gatti will clear the ball and that the Monza man will shoot. It was very hard for him to also be prepared for the unlikely third scenario that everyone will miss the ball and to save that cross.
Yeah after watching it again you’re right. I missed that Monza player going for the ball. Tek didn’t really have time to react.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Yeah after watching it again you’re right. I missed that Monza player going for the ball. Tek didn’t really have time to react.
I still think Woj should have saved it but I also dont understand why for such an incident we get a disqualification for offside and for others it get approved.
I wouldnt call that goal a howler but I do think he should have saved it.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I still think Woj should have saved it but I also dont understand why for such an incident we get a disqualification for offside and for others it get approved.
I wouldnt call that goal a howler but I do think he should have saved it.
Because it wasn’t offside?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
You see that kind of goal every now and then, it's pretty impossible for the keeper to stop. The defence has to find a way to block it but often it can just be a dummy or glance from the attacker that is enough.

Dino_mk

Sep 5, 2007
u joke, but i expect this extra effort means the players will be out of gas and tired for next match

watch fatigue be a reason some will miss the next match
Real issue will be in May, when season really starts. So much wasted energy that could have been conserved for spring months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)