SERIE A: Modena - Juventus (5 Viewers)

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++

Good, I'm glad somebody asked me about this.

In all american sports, they hold what is called an amatuer player draft.

Here, in a nutshell is how it works, and I'll use Serie A as an example.

Let's say that all players who were not owned by individual teams played in high school, college, or youth programs where they could be draft eligible.

So that would eliminate teams plucking young players and "loaning" them out to other teams.

The draft works like this. Let's say that the records of these teams stay the same throughout the year, and Empoli finishes with the worst record in Serie A.

When it is time to sign or select a player for their respective team, the team with the worst record gets the first selection in this draft, therefore having the best chance to select who they feel is the best player available. The selection process continues until the team with the best record, Juve,makes their selection. Once that team makes it's selection, that "round" of drafting is over. and the next round begins the same as before, until the set number of rounds are completed.

In the MLS, like all other major sports in the US, there's no such thing as a "transfer", where players can switch teams on a whim and all it would usually cost is cash.

Here, we make trades. They usually consist of players and or draft selections in order for teams to acquire new talent.

Case in point.

Let's say that Adu, for instance, was eligible to be selected in Serie A, and Juve wanted to get him. Well, since they are picking last in the 1st round, there's virutally no way, unless the other 17 teams have a serious brain-freeze, that he'll be able to be selected by Juve.

So, Juve makes a "trade" with Empoli, say, DP, Tudor and their selection in the first round (18th) for Empoli's selection (1st), to which they would draft Adu and acquire his services.

That's how it works here in the US, and I'll tell you what, when the NBA or NFL draft comes on, there are some big-time TV ratings.

As far as Adu and the MLS is concerned, because Adu wanted to play near his home in Maryland, DC United made an arrangement with Dallas,who currently holds the first selection in the draft, to trade that pick to DC for what is called a "major player allocation"

Now, what does that mean. Well, do you remember when Carlos Valderrama came to play in the MLS?? because he wasn't draft eligible, since he was already a professional, he was allocated to a team that had a strong latin american following, in this case, it was Los Angeles. They do that all the time, such as a popular german or polish player being allocated to Chicago, an Italian player going to New York, or an English or Irish player going to Boston, simply because it will get more people in the seats, and because those fans are , more often than not,supporters of those respective National teams as well. Teams are only allowed 1 of these per season, but Dallas will get two because of the arrangement made with DC and MLS.

I hope this explains the American system of teams acquiring young talent for their respective orginizations, and I hope this sheds more light on the Freddy Adu situation.
i dun understand :wth::wth::wth:

and the worst part is i dun understand which part i really dun understanf :wallbang:

not undermining Serge's effort though...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
:LOL: aressandro. It's not that complicated, really.

@Stu I'll be slightly more confident and say 3-1 :thumb:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++

first, thanx for that long explanation.. ;)

is this system working well..?? or you feel it should be changed and be more like the european or international systems..?
This system works great here in the US, because it gives lower-echelon teams a chance to become competitive, and can level the playing field.

Of course, if they were to try and implement this system in Europe, the large teams would cause a riot, because they may not always be able to get their hands on the best players all the thime, but this system would give teams like Empoli and Lecce a chance, in time, to compete for the Scudetto.

Aressandro, I'm sorry you didn't understand the system, let me know what it isthat you don't get and I'll try to explain it further

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Prediction 1-0, Juve, if this is the lineup that they keep.

They'll spend more time defending and providing support for the defense than they wil attacking, but they'll probably score on a set piece or counter attack.

gray

Apr 22, 2003

This system works great here in the US, because it gives lower-echelon teams a chance to become competitive, and can level the playing field.
Did you really have to? I just had my last maths exam of the year :sigh:

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Thanx Serge for the explanation Serge, altho I knew how it works ;)

I do follow the NBA you know ;)

I just wanted to know is it true that he refused to play for Dallas.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++
Thanx Serge for the explanation Serge, altho I knew how it works ;)

I do follow the NBA you know ;)

I just wanted to know is it true that he refused to play for Dallas.

A simple "Thanks" would've been enough.

He wanted to play close to home, since he lives in Maryland, it had nothing to do with not wanting to play for Dallas.

Well, at least i educated (or at least tried to) some people here on how the draft system works.

I think.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
The team trained this afternoon under thick fog, but four players were missing due to International commitment and they include: Tudor, Davids, Appiah, and Zalayeta. According to the training session this is the expected line-up to face Modena on Saturday evening:

Buffon; Birindelli, Ferrara, Iuliano, Zambrotta; Tacchinardi, Maresca; Camoranesi, Nedved, Del Piero; Trezeguet.

Today was Ferrara's 37th birthday and he celebrated with the team. In an interview he stated that at his age he welcomes the bench but says that he will keep on playing forever !!

Sep 28, 2002
that draft system would not work here serge.
too many strong leagues in europe, players becoma professionals at very toung age, besides minor teams in nba are billionaires comparing to lower serie a teams.

besides, in europe unlike in usa, people wanna play for team than can win things, even if they are paid less. e.g. t-mac left toronto just for money though he could've created major threat in east with carter. i dont see del piero leaving for roma just because he would be paid more. and what is strange that players on your side of atlantic ARE paid more.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
too many strong leagues in europe, players becoma professionals at very toung age, besides minor teams in nba are billionaires comparing to lower serie a teams.
I know, but unfortunately, if the US sports resorted to the system that is currently in place in Europe, then 95% of the teams would have no chance of winning, the fans would never support the bottom feeders of the leauge if they knew that they didn't have a chance to win, and those teams would fold and go bankrupt.

At least the draft system can, theoretically, give those lower teams a chance to win. Now, what they do with those selections is entirely up to them, because the draft is a very inexact science.

I've always wondered what the motivation is of a supporter such as Lecce or Empoli, when they very well know that they have no chance to win the scudetto year in and year out. Is there just nothing else to do in those cities??

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++

besides, in europe unlike in usa, people wanna play for team than can win things, even if they are paid less. e.g. t-mac left toronto just for money though he could've created major threat in east with carter. i dont see del piero leaving for roma just because he would be paid more. and what is strange that players on your side of atlantic ARE paid more.
Well, to counter-act your point, look at what Gary Payton and Karl Malone did, when they took 13 and 18 million dollar paycuts to play for my beloved Lakers, just for the chance to win a title.

It can work both ways, but I agree , the athelets in the US are paid a ridiculous amount of money.

Sep 28, 2002

Well, to counter-act your point, look at what Gary Payton and Karl Malone did, when they took 13 and 18 million dollar paycuts to play for my beloved Lakers, just for the chance to win a title.

It can work both ways, but I agree , the athelets in the US are paid a ridiculous amount of money.
i know that and i was very very very surprised when i found out that. but are there any more examples?

besides, it's their last shot at the title, they have more money than their grandchilden will ever need, so why not give it a try.

one more point against draft system:
rich club buy youngsters from minor teams: cassano bari>roma, del piero padova>juve. that's how it is. in usa they dont buy out players contracts, they wait until they expire.

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #96
    Darn it, I wanted to see DP and DV in the same line-up :down:

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
    i read..... somewhere in here that DV may not be starting. So in that case.... most likely it will be DP and Trez.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #99
    The probable line-up:

1 Buffon
    15 Birindelli
    2 Ferrara
    13 Iuliano
    19 Zambrotta
    16 Camoranesi
    3 Tacchinardi
    14 Maresca
    11 Nedved
    10 Del Piero
    17 Trezeguet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)