SERIE A: Modena - Juventus (6 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I think they are tied for 7th with the flying donkeys, because the goal differential is the same.

Unrelated note, but still football related.

Freddy Adu, the 14 year old american wonderkid, has signed a 6 year deal to play in the MLS and will play next season for DC United.

Congrats Freddy. Maybe finally, more americans will pay attention to football.

Buy on AliExpress.com

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++
Freddy Adu, the 14 year old american wonderkid, has signed a 6 year deal to play in the MLS and will play next season for DC United.
isnt he the kid that manU, chelsea r after? what happen? so, he's not going to england after all....

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++

isnt he the kid that manU, chelsea r after? what happen? so, he's not going to england after all....

Yes, that's him. He wanted to stay close to his home in Maryland.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
He will fade away. Nothings gonna come of him. Im so fed up of all the hype surrounding Adu. Hes not even 14... more like 20.

anyway,

Damani Ralph ! now thats someone whos ready for Europe.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by my_hitzJUVE ] ++

alex is still find his true colour after long term injury...so, let him play agaist this 'small' team is a good choice....
Don't underestimate Modena's defence. Alex might not do so well against them.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
And.......................

How do you know that he's 20??

I, for one, am excited to see what this kid can do.

dude... he definitely doesnt look 14.

He was born in Ghana - they hardly have any birth certificates or anything else...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
And.......................

How do you know that he's 20??
Some people don't believe he's actually that young, since he came from Ghana not too long ago. I heard US doctors did some tests on his bones or something, and found out that he's actually only 14.

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
Serie A Week 10 - 22/10/03 (18.00)

Football Italia

Preview : Modena-Juventus

Stadio Braglia

The leaders have the opportunity to break away from the chasing pack but face a tough task at on-form Modena.

The Bianconeri are unbeaten so far this season and have notched up five wins from their last six games. Alessandro Del Piero is still looking for form following two months on the sidelines with a torn calf muscle, but should nonetheless start.

Marco Di Vaio and David Trezeguet were both on target during their international friendlies as the battle for places hots up. Marcello Lippi’s side is already qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions’ League, so the squad rotation system will continue.

Modena have surprised most pundits with their start to the campaign and currently hold eighth place, level on points with Chievo. Alberto Malesani has given the Canarini a solid style that has brought three home wins and a single defeat here, at the hands of Udinese in Week 2.

Since that 1-0 result, no team has been able to put a goal past Marco Ballotta at the Stadio Braglia. All eyes will be on Diomansy Kamara, the Senegalese forward who is hotly tipped for a January move to Juventus, while Nicola Amoruso comes face to face with his former club.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modena (probable): Ballotta; Pivotto, Cevoli, Ungari; Campedelli, Marasco, Milanetto, Balestri; Allegretti, Kamara; Amoruso

Juventus (probable): Buffon; Birindelli, Ferrara, Iuliano, Zambrotta; Camoranesi, Tacchinardi, Maresca, Nedved, Del Piero; Di Vaio

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by IceBlu ] ++

dude... he definitely doesnt look 14.

He was born in Ghana - they hardly have any birth certificates or anything else...
Well, Stephen Appiah definitely looks older than 23, but that's what he is.

How can you not be excited, Ice??

This kid may actually get Americans to watch football, and not the NFL type either.

I'll definitely be getting some Revolution tix when they play DC united next year.

All this over-confidence from most people here about this match scares me a little.

We could be primed for a defeat, especially if that projected defensive backfield is what they will be using on Saturday.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
But what was this all draft thing Serge? Is it true that he in fact signed with the FA and not the club and then refused to play in, what club was it, and then went to Washington?

I read somewhere that the MLS buys the players and then does a draft :undecide:

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
well i was excited but the amount of hype put me off i guess.

anyway, i guess we should get back to the main topic of this thread.

the probable lineup by Football Italia looks great !

Juventus (probable): Buffon; Birindelli, Ferrara, Iuliano, Zambrotta; Camoranesi, Tacchinardi, Maresca, Nedved, Del Piero; Di Vaio

thats just almost perfect - probably our best 11 with the exception of Thuram for Biri and Legro for Ferrara.

Still.... the lineup is more than enough to whip Modena.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++
But what was this all draft thing Serge? Is it true that he in fact signed with the FA and not the club and then refused to play in, what club was it, and then went to Washington?

I read somewhere that the MLS buys the players and then does a draft :undecide:

Good, I'm glad somebody asked me about this.

In all american sports, they hold what is called an amatuer player draft.

Here, in a nutshell is how it works, and I'll use Serie A as an example.

Let's say that all players who were not owned by individual teams played in high school, college, or youth programs where they could be draft eligible.

So that would eliminate teams plucking young players and "loaning" them out to other teams.

The draft works like this. Let's say that the records of these teams stay the same throughout the year, and Empoli finishes with the worst record in Serie A.

When it is time to sign or select a player for their respective team, the team with the worst record gets the first selection in this draft, therefore having the best chance to select who they feel is the best player available. The selection process continues until the team with the best record, Juve,makes their selection. Once that team makes it's selection, that "round" of drafting is over. and the next round begins the same as before, until the set number of rounds are completed.

In the MLS, like all other major sports in the US, there's no such thing as a "transfer", where players can switch teams on a whim and all it would usually cost is cash.

Here, we make trades. They usually consist of players and or draft selections in order for teams to acquire new talent.

Case in point.

Let's say that Adu, for instance, was eligible to be selected in Serie A, and Juve wanted to get him. Well, since they are picking last in the 1st round, there's virutally no way, unless the other 17 teams have a serious brain-freeze, that he'll be able to be selected by Juve.

So, Juve makes a "trade" with Empoli, say, DP, Tudor and their selection in the first round (18th) for Empoli's selection (1st), to which they would draft Adu and acquire his services.

That's how it works here in the US, and I'll tell you what, when the NBA or NFL draft comes on, there are some big-time TV ratings.

As far as Adu and the MLS is concerned, because Adu wanted to play near his home in Maryland, DC United made an arrangement with Dallas,who currently holds the first selection in the draft, to trade that pick to DC for what is called a "major player allocation"

Now, what does that mean. Well, do you remember when Carlos Valderrama came to play in the MLS?? because he wasn't draft eligible, since he was already a professional, he was allocated to a team that had a strong latin american following, in this case, it was Los Angeles. They do that all the time, such as a popular german or polish player being allocated to Chicago, an Italian player going to New York, or an English or Irish player going to Boston, simply because it will get more people in the seats, and because those fans are , more often than not,supporters of those respective National teams as well. Teams are only allowed 1 of these per season, but Dallas will get two because of the arrangement made with DC and MLS.

I hope this explains the American system of teams acquiring young talent for their respective orginizations, and I hope this sheds more light on the Freddy Adu situation.

DAVIDZ

Sep 15, 2002

Congrats Freddy. Maybe finally, more americans will pay attention to football. [/QUO

If anyone lives in the DC area, the local ABC (Channel 7) will be interviewing soccer fans at Summers restaurant about Freddy Adu's signing on Wednesday night.( Nov. 19)

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003

Good, I'm glad somebody asked me about this.

In all american sports, they hold what is called an amatuer player draft.

Here, in a nutshell is how it works, and I'll use Serie A as an example.

Let's say that all players who were not owned by individual teams played in high school, college, or youth programs where they could be draft eligible.

So that would eliminate teams plucking young players and "loaning" them out to other teams.

The draft works like this. Let's say that the records of these teams stay the same throughout the year, and Empoli finishes with the worst record in Serie A.

When it is time to sign or select a player for their respective team, the team with the worst record gets the first selection in this draft, therefore having the best chance to select who they feel is the best player available. The selection process continues until the team with the best record, Juve,makes their selection. Once that team makes it's selection, that "round" of drafting is over. and the next round begins the same as before, until the set number of rounds are completed.

In the MLS, like all other major sports in the US, there's no such thing as a "transfer", where players can switch teams on a whim and all it would usually cost is cash.

Here, we make trades. They usually consist of players and or draft selections in order for teams to acquire new talent.

Case in point.

Let's say that Adu, for instance, was eligible to be selected in Serie A, and Juve wanted to get him. Well, since they are picking last in the 1st round, there's virutally no way, unless the other 17 teams have a serious brain-freeze, that he'll be able to be selected by Juve.

So, Juve makes a "trade" with Empoli, say, DP, Tudor and their selection in the first round (18th) for Empoli's selection (1st), to which they would draft Adu and acquire his services.

That's how it works here in the US, and I'll tell you what, when the NBA or NFL draft comes on, there are some big-time TV ratings.

As far as Adu and the MLS is concerned, because Adu wanted to play near his home in Maryland, DC United made an arrangement with Dallas,who currently holds the first selection in the draft, to trade that pick to DC for what is called a "major player allocation"

Now, what does that mean. Well, do you remember when Carlos Valderrama came to play in the MLS?? because he wasn't draft eligible, since he was already a professional, he was allocated to a team that had a strong latin american following, in this case, it was Los Angeles. They do that all the time, such as a popular german or polish player being allocated to Chicago, an Italian player going to New York, or an English or Irish player going to Boston, simply because it will get more people in the seats, and because those fans are , more often than not,supporters of those respective National teams as well. Teams are only allowed 1 of these per season, but Dallas will get two because of the arrangement made with DC and MLS.

I hope this explains the American system of teams acquiring young talent for their respective orginizations, and I hope this sheds more light on the Freddy Adu situation.
first, thanx for that long explanation.. ;)

is this system working well..?? or you feel it should be changed and be more like the european or international systems..?

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by DAVIDZ ] ++
Here's the probable lineup from gazzetta:

4-2-3-1
1 Buffon
15 Birindelli
2 Ferrara
13 Iuliano
7 Pessotto
16 Camoranesi
3 Tacchinardi
14 Maresca
11 Nedved
10 Del Piero
18 Di Vaio

Bench:

Chimenti, Montero, Tudor, Appiah, Thuram, Conte, Miccoli.

No Zambro, Trez, Davids:fero:, and Zala
I think that it is better to play nedved in modena game because we need the points , we all know he is the maker of most of our goals while we can play defensivly at gs game and get a draw like we did at real sd game.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++

maybe it's just "modena", but they have better defensive record than us so far this season....and we'll playing @their ground, so dont underestimate them :D

besides, we need three points from this....coz we'll have tougher matches in the weeks to come (inter, lazio, parma)
that is true , we cannot afford to loose points at this stage , we have defficult matchs in the coming 3 weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)