[Serie A] Livorno - Juventus (91 Viewers)

Aug 26, 2003
: Alex thanks Capello Sunday 22 May, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Press blackout is over with Fabio Capello and Alessandro Del Piero commenting on the Scudetto and Juve’s future plans.

“This team has proved it has remarkable humility, determination and the desire to go all the way,” said the Coach after winning his seventh League title with four different clubs. “Milan never gave in and played a great Championship.”

“It was very difficult to maintain our focus when Milan wiped out the gap not once, but twice. However, I maintain the most important moment in the Scudetto race was our victory at Lazio. We were decimated by injuries and suspensions, so to win there was even more decisive than beating Milan at the San Siro.”

Pavel Nedved’s late strike sealed that victory at the Stadio Olimpico in Week 33, ensuring Juve stayed on top of the table from start to finish this season.

Capello’s decisions were not always popular, as his treatment of captain Alessandro Del Piero infuriated sections of the fanbase.

“I treat everyone the same way out of respect for the squad,” insisted the tactician. “Sometimes I’m right and in other occasions I make a mistake. There were times in which Del Piero needed to be substituted and I did that. When he was on fine form, I left him out there for 90 minutes. A Coach has to make tough choices that can be unpopular, but he will never intentionally try to pick on a player.”

Del Piero himself also admitted that the lack of certainty in his campaign pushed him to improve his performance.

“The last few years have been difficult for me with injuries, so in actual fact I played more this season than I did in 2004,” said the captain. “I thank Capello, because he made the right choices and took Juve to the title. It was a victory against those who said I was finished, but above all I dedicate the Scudetto to the people who always supported me.”

Their attention now turns to the future, with reports of a £48m Real Madrid offer for Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Barcelona and Arsenal’s interest in David Trezeguet.

“We were fortunate to sign all the players we had our sights on in the summer and they proved to be good buys,” noted Capello. “I can guarantee that the most important players won’t leave Juve, not even Trezeguet.”

Director General Luciano Moggi also commented on the transfer policy that had been criticised in the close season, especially after the departure of Fabrizio Miccoli, Enzo Maresca, Mark Iuliano, Nicola Legrottaglie, Igor Tudor and Giorgio Chiellini.

“Everyone kept pointing out we had a small squad, but they didn’t mention the injuries that ruled out Nedved, Trezeguet, Del Piero and Jonathan Zebina for long periods,” said the transfer guru.

“We played well all the way through, which wasn’t easy for a side that started out with the Champions’ League preliminary round in August. We proved Juve are the best on the pitch and I’m happy to have won it after a fascinating head to head battle with Milan.”

Director Antonio Giraudo had a special dedication to make at the end of this Press blackout. “It has been a tough year for Juventus with the death of President Umberto Agnelli. He had always been a key figure for us and we dedicate the title to him.”

day walker

Sep 20, 2004
++ [ originally posted by simpson-juvefan ] ++
: Alex thanks Capello Sunday 22 May, 2005

“The last few years have been difficult for me with injuries, so in actual fact I played more this season than I did in 2004,” said the captain. “I thank Capello, because he made the right choices and took Juve to the title. It was a victory against those who said I was finished, but above all I dedicate the Scudetto to the people who always supported me.”
thanks Alex :D

serfaraaz

Apr 14, 2005
do u think fabio capello is saying the truth he said nothing about dp whether he will be leaving or not he said trezeguet will remain this mean gila wont come to juve

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
“Everyone kept pointing out we had a small squad, but they didn’t mention the injuries that ruled out Nedved, Trezeguet, Del Piero and Jonathan Zebina for long periods,” said the transfer guru.
Everyone forgets Kapo, even Capello!

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Juve89 ] ++
Ratings anyone?
I'll take a pass at my quick thoughts:

Buffon - 6
- Good play for the most part. Lucky that his reaction saves weren't required on some Livorno misses.
Zambrotta - 7
- Some great defensive play and some quality attacking.
Cannavaro - 6
- Was a bit out of position in marking Protti for his goal. Not one of his best days at the office, but he's had plenty this season.
Thuram - 6
- Served well as our captain. Went upfield more than I expected, and we got burned a couple times due to his errant positioning.
Pessotto - 6
- Another quiet but workman-like effort from one of our better bench players.
Emerson - 6.5
- Very involved in the play, disruptively and in creating some forward ball momentum.
Appiah - 7
- Who is this guy? He certainly isn't the same player we started the season off with. Great ball movement, smart and accurate passing, and some good defensive interventions to win the ball. Made a couple of minor mistakes, but overall a great game for him.
Nedved - 7
- Had a lot more spark than in previous games.
Kapo - 6.5
- Came close on a couple of headers. Lost the ball more than a couple of times. But set up some nice crosses and plays.
Zlatan - 6
- Missed a couple of opportunities, but otherwise wasn't too involved.
Trez - 6
- Good goal. Otherwise, the classic Trez match where he gets about 20 seconds of touches per game.

Chimenti - 5
- Gotta disagree on this one. He just didn't look comfortable out there. And while the two goals weren't entirely his fault, he seemed to be out of position a lot and looked pretty shaky.
Zalayeta - 5.5
- Little impact from what I saw.
Blasi - not rated
- Barely on the pitch.

IMO was it an entartaining match, Juve played well and Livorno played well. Livorno needs extra credit because of the fact that they never stoped fighting. And also I don't like it when Juve let in goals but when Igor Protti scored in his last match on the home pitch I was glad for him, what a guy:touched:
I have a soft spot for Livorno. First of all, I think they have the coolest tifosi in Serie A this year. They also have a gutsy squad.

I can tell there was a bit of brotherly love between the sides in this match, even at the front office levels. Of course, Livorno helped us land Mutu, so I'm not exactly surprised either.

Apr 26, 2004
Italy’s champions get on the pitch for the pre-match training wearing the No. 28 shirts made by the industrious warehousemen. Capello’s squad is welcomed at Livorno by about two thousands Bianconeri supporters who cheer them waving tricolour flags. Juventus repay them by taking the lead on 10’ minutes: a fine Kapo action who dribbles an opponents at the edge of the box, he serves Nedved and the latter shoots it it (0-1). Livorno answer back with Lucarelli and a couple of actions by Protti, who hits the crossbar in the final minutes into the first half. On the Bianconeri’s side, Ibrahimovic’s drive is worth the note, after a fine pass with Trezeguet, and Zambrotta’s finish from the edge of the box.

In the second half, Chimenti and Zalayeta replace Buffon and Ibrahimovic. Livorno fight back to turn the result upside down, scoring with Protti, on a header (2’) and Lucarelli (10’). On the 2-1 result for the home side, Juventus raise the pressure and get close to goal with Zalayeta, and they earn the draw on 21’ minutes thanks to Trezeguet’s goal. The Frenchman is assisted by Zalayeta, he shoots on the turn well and beats Mareggini with a left-footed kick (2-2). And this is the end. Celebration is going to continue next Sunday at Delle Alpi..

LIVORNO – JUVENTUS 2-2
GOALS: 10’fh Nedved, 2’sh Protti, 10’sh Lucarelli, 21’sh Trezeguet

LIVORNO: Mareggini, Melara, Galante, , Vargas, Grauso, Pfertzel, Passoni, Vigiani (1’sh Ruotolo), Giallombardo, Protti (16’sh Danilevicius), C. Lucarelli (40’sh Paulinho). §
Manager: Donadoni.
Substitutes: Amelia, Danilevicius,Vidigal, Ruotolo, Paulinho, Balleri, A. Lucarelli.

JUVENTUS: Buffon (1’sh Chimenti), Pessotto, Thuram, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Kapo, Appiah, Emerson (40’sh Blasi), Nedved, Trezeguet, Ibrahimovic (1’sh Zalayeta).
Manager: Capello.
Substitutes: Chimenti, Ferrara, Tacchinardi, Birindelli, Del Piero , Blasi, Zalayeta.

REFEREE: Messina

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by archaon ] ++
guys check this out (relegation battle)

Roma 44
Cagliari 44
Livorno 44
Lazio 43
Lecce 43
Reggina 43
Chievo 42
Bologna 41
Brescia 41
Parma 41
Siena 40
Fiorentina 39

Bologna v Sampdoria
Fiorentina v Brescia
Inter Milan v Reggina
Juventus v Cagliari
Lecce v Parma
Messina v Livorno
Palermo v Lazio
Roma v Chievo
Siena v Atalanta
Udinese v AC Milan
thats why the clacio is the best league on earth

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
we played a relaxed game , we wanted the draw , kapo showed at sometimes some potential but not to the extent to be a reguler player , Chimenti should be replaced IMO.... we need a younger backup

Aug 1, 2003
Everyone stood up when Protti left the match but Giraudo didnt. He was the only one who didnt smile throughout the whole match. Even Moggi & Bettega looked relaxed. Must've had a bad day :D

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Ratings:

Buffon - Didn't have a great deal to do as Protti spurned good first half chances. Did what was required of him when he was called into action. 6

Pessotto - Solid effort. It's good to know that we can rely on him even though he is one of the team's older players. 6

Thuram - He wasn't as focussed as usual but you can't kill him for that given the circumstances. He has played a tremendous part in this championship winning season. 6

Cannavaro - Didn't mark Protti as tightly as he should have on the goal. Like Thuram he wasn't as focussed as he normally is. 6

Zambrotta - Good game. Defended well and got forward frequently. This season his form has dropped off from last season but he's still very crucial to this team. 7

Emerson - Mr Dependable. Another honest shift in midfield from the Brazilian. 6.5

Appiah - Was very good. For that matter he's been playing well for a couple of weeks now. Keep it up and you'll keep Blasi out of the first team on a permanent basis. 6.5

Nedved - Moved well and got his name on the scoresheet. 6.5

Kapo - Set up Nedved's goal but gave away the ball too much in the first half. He's a technically sound player with good pace, balance and a left peg. He has potential but is far from the finished article. 6

Ibrahimovic - Held up the ball well but failed to make his mark on this game. Should've done better with the chance Pessotto set up for him. 5.5

Trezeguet - Dropped off from time to time to take a touch or two and played some useful back-to-goal passes, but apart from the goal, which was infact a very good goal, didn't do much at all. 6

Chimenti - Didn't look in any way comfortable. He wasn't completely to blame for any of the goals but I question his positioning and he doesn't command his area very well either. 5.5

Zalayeta - Wasn't his day. Failed to make the most of a couple of half chances and in truth didn't really do anything useful with the ball. 5

Blasi - No rating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 91)